2 weeks out DS

AlliTaylor

I had DS surgery with gallbladder removal two weeks ago today. I am still extremely tender on my right side below and where the drain was removed and find it painful to sit upright longer than 30-45 min at a time. I'm also extremely drained after about 5-15 min of activity (i.e. Slow walking, picking up around the house, etc). To me this seems pretty normal but my husband seems to think that now I am off pain meds which made me very groggy that I should be doing "better" than I am. My follow up appointment isn't until next week so I was looking for some opinions here.

Hi @AlliTaylor , sounds well within the "normal" range of post surgical recovery. Took me a month to get back to work after DS. The first few weeks I was really drained and very sore, particularly around one lap incision area from where I think the excess stomach was extracted. Hang in there and not a bad idea to check in with your surgeon and see if s/he thinks you are recovering adequately. Please make sure to stay hydrated. It can make a world of difference! Best wishes.

Last edited:
Tell your hubby politely to STFU! You had major surgery. I was almost 3 months out before feeling normal and I was off pain meds at 4 days out.

Yeah, tell hubby to back off! Sounds very normal to me. I was off pain meds fast because I didn't have a lot of pain (didn't have a drain either) but could barely do anything the first couple weeks. After that it gets better, but slowly.

He is honestly the most loving and supportive and helpful man I could ever ask for. I guess I phrased it wrong (probably because I am tired). He is concerned for me and wants me to call my doctor and make sure it is normal. He's a bit paranoid and doesn't want anything to be going wrong and us not knowing about it. I'm so emotional and "not myself". I did have more energy it seems a few days ago. But damn it I'm tired and hurt.

He is honestly the most loving and supportive and helpful man I could ever ask for. I guess I phrased it wrong (probably because I am tired). He is concerned for me and wants me to call my doctor and make sure it is normal. He's a bit paranoid and doesn't want anything to be going wrong and us not knowing about it. I'm so emotional and "not myself". I did have more energy it seems a few days ago. But damn it I'm tired and hurt.
That's why I said "politely". I figured he was just concerned but this IS NORMAL.

Let him know that those of us who have been in your shoes know this is normal.

@AlliTaylor I have no advice since I am still pre-op, I just wanted to say thank you for posting. It is comforting to know what to expect after surgery. Your note from the "front lines" is so helpful to those of us not knowing what to expect.

I'm extra glad that the resident experts think you're doing great. Best of luck and take it slow.

Yes he's concerned, and when you tell him to back off, I'm sure you will do so in the nicest way. But he does need to understand that this surgery changes your metabolism and for many of us, the exhaustion is very real, and they only thing that resolves it is time.

I had DS surgery late July and didn't get my energy back for about 3-4 months.
I did have some problems taking it easy though. I am guessing I should have slowed down more at the beginning but hubby was away for work.

Yep, all normal stuff. This really is a very major surgery and people often underestimate just how much it takes out of us. Now if your pain all of the sudden gets worse then absolutely call your surgeon and or get to the ER, but what you describe is pretty normal.

Best wishes.

Latest posts

Back