Zinc

Bagaof4

18 month labs still trickling in and everything looks pretty good, but I have a quick question. I take 2 - 50mg Chelated Zinc (Gluconate- Puritan's Pride brand) everyday- one with breakfast vites, and the other with lunch vites (away from iron, but with calcium as per Vitalady's regime). Here is the trend:
Pre-op 88
3mo. 113
6mo. 94
9 mo. 101
18mo. 71

The range is 70-150 and Vitalady recommends midrange. Not understanding why it has dropped. Should I increase to 3/day for 150mg total? I am currently getting another 22 mg in my 2 multis. Am I just starting to malabsorb this particularly mineral? Ideas?
Thanks so much!

Last edited:
you should take zinc away from calcium Vitalady's schedule combines them to make the regime simpler otherwise there would be too many doses for many people. But if you are experiencing deficiencies you should separate it out.

Also copper and zinc are like a teeter-totter. Are you supplementing copper. What are your copper levels like

What is your complexion like ? Facial blemishes go sling with low zinc.

I would probably keep at the 100 but separate the doses , then monitor.

Thank you! I have heard that calcium is a bully.... How many hours should I wait between calcium and other vites?
Haven't gotten my copper results back yet, but I do take 2mg every night with my iron and C. Complexion seems fine for now, but I will separate my calcium and see what happens!

The supplements grab the receptors in our system and release the good stuff that we absorb. As time passes, the rate of absorption reduces until the receptors are freed up for the next dose. Some more quickly than others.

It seems the optimum spacing is around 2 hours. But since it is gradual you could start earlier in a pinch. If you are squeezed for time , I would go a minimum of one hour between but if you can go two, you will increase your absorption amount.

Also most supplements will absorb better on an empty stomach. Some folks schedule the items they really need to work on to be taken late at night. And by themselves.

I have two of my doses in small cups only bedside table to take when I wake at night. This helps me space the eight doses I take.

Well, that makes sense. I will split my normal 4 doses into 7 and leave two hours in between. Luckily I am up at 5 or earlier so can get a dose in then and one at 7:30 when I leave for work. I like the idea of leaving one on the nightstand because I do usually wake up at night. Now to just establish a new routine! (I'm old and new routines are a challenge! Hah!) Maybe this will help for better D absorption, too. This draw's level was down to 56 which I am not happy with.
Thanks so much for your input HappyDSr!

In addition to separating off I had to go to 2 batches of 100mg, so try just separating it from your other vits and re-test in 3 months to check if it's working.

I take a ton of copper and zinc a day. My DS nutrit. says with food. I split them at least 1 hour apart.

The reason your zinc may be trending downward [according to my DS nutrit.] is due to the fact you're pooping out more of it than you did. That's what happened to me. It was still normal but low normal. I was having terrible itching and other issues. Once I brought the levels up, that all disappeared.

So is Zinc toxic at high levels? When you say a 'ton' what are we talking about? Thanks so much for sharing your experience with this!
Sure thing. :)

Let me give you the specs:

Zinc is 450 mg./day (split into 4 servings). Copper is 16 mg./day (split into 3 servings). My DS nutrit. went over this with me as we increased my zinc & copper over the years because my blood levels weren't as high as we wanted. I'm probably one of the highest (in my surgeon's bariatric practice) but there have been no ill effects. Even with all I take I still am a bit low on the copper levels & we may increase it this summer when I do my next bloods.

Last edited:
You're so right. She's been with the practice longer than I've been a patient there and takes a lot of what she knows from her long-term patients. She realizes we live it!

Sure thing. :)

Let me give you the specs:

Zinc is 450 mg./day (split into 4 servings). Copper is 16 mg./day (split into 3 servings). My DS nutrit. went over this with me as we increased my zinc & copper over the years because my blood levels weren't as high as we wanted. I'm probably one of the highest (in my surgeon's bariatric practice) but there have been no ill effects. Even with all I take I still am a bit low on the copper levels & we may increase it this summer when I do my next bloods.
Wow, I thought I took a lot of zinc at 200mg a day (in 2 batches). :)

I know. I take a ton. But the itching I had about 1 year out was just unbelieveable. The zinc has kept it at bay.

Yes, got copper back and it has fallen as well. B6 has taken a dive as well since I quit taking the Costco Calcium Citrate because it was getting too high a year ago. Think I'll replace one of my Citracal doses with the Costco brand. It has zinc and copper in it as well. In addition to separating the calcium out, does that sound reasonable? Thanks so much.
imagejpg1-3.jpg

Latest posts

Back