Woke up with Sleeve and no DS! Help!

I can't even imagine your disappointment and anger. I am so sorry.

Ask for a copy of your operative report so you can see exactly what he did AND get a copy of the release (permission) you signed just before surgery.

Wow, so many supportive responses. I've been in and out of consciousness all day so am just now seeing this. I have never been one to resist posting my doctor and I will. But first, let me explain my conversation with him today. I couldn't talk to him when he was here yesterday because I was in so much pain and nauseated..I've never tolerated general anesthesia well. You may have already seen this posted on another group page. I don't have the energy to re-type it:

Just talked to dr. Went very well. He is so kind and helpful and really explained his going back and forth in his head but just deciding he was too scared. I appreciated his honesty and humility.

It was because my stomach under the band was just too damaged and needs time to heal. He showed me pucs. But he said three months would probably be enough time and when I come in for my follow-up in two weeks I can schedule the second step for early next year if everything is going well. His office is already working on getting my insurance to pay for part two, but he said he'd do his part for no additional cost. I'd just have the hospital fees. I imagine that's still a whole lot, but I wonder how much, just in case it has to come out of my pocket.

He's not worried about the fluids going down too easily. Said I'd feel it more on solids. Frankly, at this point I'm grateful. I can drink liquids and take my pills with no problem and can schedule step 2 in two weeks when I come in for my first follow up.

Because of the terrible heartburn he suspects a hiatal hernia he can fix with step two which may actually help with insurance.

Update: there is no doubt I am sleeved. I think the extensive pain and nausea meds yesterday, based on my desperate and dramatic reaction to the anesthesia, might have caused me not to feel the restriction as much. I do feel it today though. But it's not as bad as I feared.

Wow, so many supportive responses. I've been in and out of consciousness all day so am just now seeing this. I have never been one to resist posting my doctor and I will. But first, let me explain my conversation with him today. I couldn't talk to him when he was here yesterday because I was in so much pain and nauseated..I've never tolerated general anesthesia well. You may have already seen this posted on another group page. I don't have the energy to re-type it:

Just talked to dr. Went very well. He is so kind and helpful and really explained his going back and forth in his head but just deciding he was too scared. I appreciated his honesty and humility.

It was because my stomach under the band was just too damaged and needs time to heal. He showed me pucs. But he said three months would probably be enough time and when I come in for my follow-up in two weeks I can schedule the second step for early next year if everything is going well. His office is already working on getting my insurance to pay for part two, but he said he'd do his part for no additional cost. I'd just have the hospital fees. I imagine that's still a whole lot, but I wonder how much, just in case it has to come out of my pocket.

He's not worried about the fluids going down too easily. Said I'd feel it more on solids. Frankly, at this point I'm grateful. I can drink liquids and take my pills with no problem and can schedule step 2 in two weeks when I come in for my first follow up.

Because of the terrible heartburn he suspects a hiatal hernia he can fix with step two which may actually help with insurance.

Update: there is no doubt I am sleeved. I think the extensive pain and nausea meds yesterday, based on my desperate and dramatic reaction to the anesthesia, might have caused me not to feel the restriction as much. I do feel it today though. But it's not as bad as I feared.
Oops, it's Dr. Scarborough in Houston. I like him a lot and would recommend him.

This heartburn truly sucks though! And the burping feeling in my chest and throat is back, exactly like it was when my band was filled, which he also removed yesterday. Waking up choking with an acid taste on the back of your throat is not cool! So grateful I only have to wait three months. Maybe the sleeve now will make the DS recovery more bearable.

I can't even imagine your disappointment and anger. I am so sorry.

Ask for a copy of your operative report so you can see exactly what he did AND get a copy of the release (permission) you signed just before surgery.
I took a pic of what I signed just before surgery. It says traditional DS

Wow....sorry this is complicated. Just wishing you a speedy recovery and good luck on the DS part - I'd be pissed too.

Let us know if we can help.

I'm sorry you couldn't get your full DS, but glad the surgeon had a good explanation, and that he's not making you wait a year. Three months should give you time for all the inflammation from this operation (and from that damn band) to calm down to make the next operation safer. Get a good PPI, sip your fluids, stay hydrated, and hang in there.

I'm sorry you couldn't get your full DS, but glad the surgeon had a good explanation, and that he's not making you wait a year. Three months should give you time for all the inflammation from this operation (and from that damn band) to calm down to make the next operation safer. Get a good PPI, sip your fluids, stay hydrated, and hang in there.

Would stomach inflammation preclude doing to switch portion on the intestines?

I am sorry you were unable to get the DS part and I would have been angry myself, but it is good that he did a good job explaining why he felt it medically necessary to stop and that he agreed to finish in 3 months as long as you were in good shape. The second stage, assuming it is lap should be relatively easy. My revision to my DS because of nutritional deficiency, was not nearly as bad a my original DS. The sleeve part of the DS was really hard on me, and even though the revision was what Dr K called hand assisted lap, which is an incision about 4 inches long and then used trochars for the other hand, it was still less painful than the original DS that was done via the da vinci robotic system. That hand assisted lap was kind of a mini open procedure. My revision is fairly analogous to what you will have so that is why I am offering my experience as far as pain. You will also be able to eat right away with the second part because your sleeve shouldn't be touched.

Again, I am sorry for your experience and I hope the second stage happens relatively quickly. I wish you well.

Latest posts

Back