Why are people with COVID symptoms not being tested?

The definition of elective procedures is not black and white. Just because something can be done today, tomorrow or next week doesn’t mean it isn’t urgent and indefinitely deferrable.

Over the last couple of weeks, Dad has had a sedated bladder biopsy, and an overnight sleep study after an at-home qualitative study showed severe sleep apnea. And Charles has had a paracentesis and sedated EGD. Both sedated procedures had to go through a review at the surgery center to get approved, and presumably the paracentesis procedures were given a blanket exemption.

Unfortunately (but not the worst news), the biopsy showed a high grade non-invasive epithelial cancer in his bladder. Dad is scheduled for weekly instillations of BCG (really interesting treatment, actually) for six weeks starting late next month (they want the biopsy sites to heal first). But those are quick appointments in the doctor’s office.

On the other hand, Dad has been accepted by the neurosurgeon for further evaluation of his normal pressure hydrocephalus. While the neurosurgeon wants him to have the outpatient diagnostic spinal tap (a single outpatient large volume spinal tap, not the 3-day slow draining which requires hospitalization, because of COVID), if that demonstrates that he is a candidate for the ventriculoperitoneal shunt, he will have to wait to schedule that procedure (1-2 nights in the hospital).

We each have a paper mask (with cloth ones on the way courtesy of Sheanie!), and I understand that each visit is a risk, but some of these just can’t be delayed. If the shunt works, Dad’s gait is likely to improve significantly, making him more mobile and less likely to fall and break a hip, to say nothing of slowing/halting/reversing his dementia.

I’m also very glad that where possible, doctors are now using TeleHealth appointments. All therapist appointments have been by computer or phone. We got the biopsy results by Zoom. The consult with the neurosurgeon was by phone (he had the previous diagnostic results in front of him). I’m hoping that this experience will mean that TeleHealth becomes standard for doctors’ appointments which don’t require hands-on contact in the future. So much less time and stress (and exposure to sick people!) to not have to go to an in-person appointment, and wait and wait ... I really like them.

So this is all a convoluted way of saying I think you can justify getting the diagnostic procedures done locally as an outpatient, and they can be approved - and can be done at facilities which are less likely to be treating COVID patients (diagnostic radiology clinic vs. hospital CT scanning, for example). I would do those things, wearing a mask, and doing everything you can to distance and not touch anything.

If I had to travel for medical treatment at this time, I would do it in our RV, where I can control our environment as much as possible.

Yes, but...then wouldn’t you have to deal with what southernlady mentioned...closed RV parks? I have been missing our teeny little RV. Seeing several-hour-long lines at COVID-19 testing places or Food Banks, I’m VERY glad I don’t need those services right now because I couldn’t do that without my cute little RV bathroom.

OTOH, trying to park it here would be a huge challenge.

I believe hospitals will usually let RVers stay in their parking lots if they are there temporarily in support of a patient. And I’ve read that at least some nearby RV parks will accommodate RV travelers who are getting treatment.

Next, I can also tell you that some people with NO symptoms are being tested. Jeff's 70yo cousin was tested and he has not been sick at all! Makes no sense to me. I would love to know if I had antibodies so I could resume my life. Or know that I was susceptible. But I want all the sick people to be helped first!

I believe hospitals will usually let RVers stay in their parking lots if they are there temporarily in support of a patient. And I’ve read that at least some nearby RV parks will accommodate RV travelers who are getting treatment.

We did that once, in Wisconsin. They served a population that included folks from far away.

Many of the RV groups on FB are reporting otherwise, or limiting people to those who either reside in the state, have no stay at home order, or are full time with no stick & brick home. So check in that state before assuming anything.

The last is why we will be able to stay in Ohio. They’ve closed all campgrounds except to those with no stick & brick home. We have to sign a paper stating that the RV IS our only home upon arrival to the campground.

Best place to see all orders is at Campendium. Also need to read each states orders. We’ve read the ones on our route. KY has closed all campground, public and private. We are getting around that by moochdocking at my sister’s for one night, she and her hubby own 10 acres. Thank goodness for having a generator on board.

Latest posts

Back