What is your diet like now with the DS?

When I was in my losing phase, it was very low carb, high protein, and very small portions. (not because I was trying to diet just because I didn't have the capacity). I rarely ate bread (maybe one bite out of the bread basket) and took most meals apart (like only eating the inside of a sandwich). I had a very hard time with chicken at first. I needed a sauce with most foods, like cooked in a crockpot. On special occasions, I indulged in desserts - fake sugar makes me sick - and I had one piece of good chocolate most days.

Things are different now that I'm maintaining (and have been since I was 18 months out). Even now though, I start the day off with a protein shake (in coffee) still. I pretty much eat whatever I want, including most carbs. Today I've had: a protein coffee & granola bar for breakfast, greek yogurt for snack, leftover chicken & potatoes from Cheesecake Factory for lunch (I eat lots of leftovers!), a small package of milk duds for a snack, some Ritz crackers & cheese, and now dinner of 3 chicken enchiladas in corn tortillas, smothered in sour cream. I really don't pay attention to my diet at this point, but I do weigh monthly so if/when I hit bounce back I will definitely reassess what I'm eating.

There's a thread on here most days where people post their daily menus. It's a great thread to look at because the people range from very early out to vets. PLEASE remember that everyone is so different. The things that bother/ed me probably don't bother others at all, and things that bother them don't give them any trouble.

I'm just about 9 months out and I eat very high protein, a decent amount of fat and very low carb. My last bloodwork wasn't great so I'm aiming for 160g of protein a day (most people say they average around 120) and I try to keep carbs below 50. While the carb thing can be difficult, it's unlike other diets where I had to watch fat intake so carefully as well. Eating things like cheese, nuts, butter, creamy (non lite!) salad dressings, BACON- things that were formerly forbidden- make it more satisfying.

At just over 3 months post-op, my diet is very similar to Brooklyngirl's. I am amazed at the amount of food that I can eat per day! I am usually between 1,700 and 2,000 calories per day, not that I care about calories, I just thought I would have a smaller capacity to eat. I try to stay under 50 grams of carbs and around 120 grams of protein. I have not found a protein that I can not eat. Some were too dense at first but, now, anything goes.

Edited to add:

I start each day with a protein shake, isopure low carb Dutch chocolate 52 grams of protein.

Last edited:
I am about 15 months out. I am at goal and maintaining. It took me along time to eat enough food. I still have days where I can not eat much. It's getting better... Background- Micro-pouch RNY to DS revision...issues!

I too start the day with a protein shake everyday without fail. 50-60 grams.

I the have a second breakfast about an hour and a half later at work. An egg with cheese and avocado or lately a piece of low carb toast with 2 0z of goat cheese, a quarter cup of full fat cottage and tabasco. Yum! Sometimes I will eat turkey and cheese with ranch. It is all about what I can eat.

At noon I eat half a sandwich, Chili w/o beans lots of cheese, Tuna or canned chicken with lots of mayo and a whole Avocado. Sushi whatever I want. I am on a fried Chicken kick right now. Maybe not the best choice but I can use the carbs and fat. It may take me a full hour to eat but I just don't force it.

I have a snack at 3-4 pm usually cheese.

Dinner is hit or miss. Early out I could not eat solids after 3pm. Just me... Now I do my best. I cook allot of stuff in the crock pot. I will eat more cheese or have a protein drink if solids wont cut it. But I still try to eat the solid. I go slow and munch away. It get cold but I just do the best I can.

I also eat a snack of cheese before bed.

I am struggling with vitamins. I still barf them up sometimes.

I read the daily food post for ideas... You'll figure out what works for you. Do not be afraid to mix it up a bit and do not compare yourself with others.

Whit

Latest posts

Back