What are your safe foods?

Brandy

Freddled gruntbuggly
If you are hitting a physical rough patch, what foods have you found that are 99.5% safe? Most foods don't bother me most of the time, but when things start going wrong, it seems like they all go wrong.

For me:

• bratwurst
  • cheese fondue
  • cottage cheese

And that is about all.

I'm not sure what you mean by "safe", as in causing stomach pain, heartburn, gas or diarrhea?

What I'm actually eating right now, just because I like it but it's an absolute cure-all for me, is yogurt. Store bought stuff isn't as sure for me, as there are too many variables, but I now just make my own using half and half and probiotic powder. Every person who has tried has said it's the best yogurt they've ever had.

I don't eat it plan, and in what I'm eating right now I have some blackberries that were over ripe and smushy, so those were perfect to sweeten it. I also had a failed batch of granola that had a few oats and lots of seeds and nuts but not enough binder, so it was too crumbly (I was looking for toasted coconut chips to put on it, and realized the granola-fail might be even better). That is perfect poured into the yogurt, but I may leave that out if my stomach were grouchy.

I'm also a soup fan, and like different things as a base, then I'll add other stuff. Miso, hot/sour, egg drop, or even Unjury protein that tastes like chicken broth are all favorites to add bits of egg, meat, or a few glass noodles to. I have a thing about baby bok choy lately, but that would be something I'd skip if trying to settle a digestive system.

A food that is always good for me is eggs with shredded Monterrey jack cheese. I mix the eggs well in a bowl, lots of salt and pepper and then I add a good half cup of cheese to the eggs right as I put them in the pan. I stir it very well so it mixes in and I cook them to slightly wet that way the are very light and creamy. I don't like the cheese added after the eggs cook an I can't eat the eggs if over cooked.

Cottage cheese and turkey deli meat is also kind of a lunch staple. I also love soup. Grilled chicken breast is great too. Medium rare strip steak is awesome. That being said I pretty much eat anything.

The only thing that gives me trouble is too much doughnut or bagel type stuff (extreme bloat and painful gas until I get it all out) and greasy sausage gives me the big D. Well lettuce is not very good on my gut either.

I'm not sure what you mean by "safe", as in causing stomach pain, heartburn, gas or diarrhea?

I mean all of those and hangovers, dehydration whoopsies,or just not getting enough sleep and having a Very Important Meeting, ....

What do you do when you feel like **&%$## and you know you have to eat and you do not want to get sick or risk a unplanned trip out of the room at speed...

On a different thread somebody was talking about removing everything from her diet and adding back one food at a time. What would be the safest food to start with?

I mean all of those and hangovers, dehydration whoopsies,or just not getting enough sleep and having a Very Important Meeting, ....

What do you do when you feel like **&%$## and you know you have to eat and you do not want to get sick or risk a unplanned trip out of the room at speed...

On a different thread somebody was talking about removing everything from her diet and adding back one food at a time. What would be the safest food to start with?
My best meal/protein input of the day is breakfast and that is the eggs I described (4 of them with half cup cheese scrambled wet) and a piece of toasted oat nut bread with almond butter and grape jelly (yeah I know but it works). Coffee with it as well. It is always a go to meal for me even for dinner if I can't find anything that sounds good in the house.

A food that is always good for me is eggs with shredded Monterrey jack cheese. I mix the eggs well in a bowl, lots of salt and pepper and then I add a good half cup of cheese to the eggs right as I put them in the pan. I stir it very well so it mixes in and I cook them to slightly wet that way the are very light and creamy. I don't like the cheese added after the eggs cook an I can't eat the eggs if over cooked.

Cottage cheese and turkey deli meat is also kind of a lunch staple. I also love soup. Grilled chicken breast is great too. Medium rare strip steak is awesome. That being said I pretty much eat anything.

The only thing that gives me trouble is too much doughnut or bagel type stuff (extreme bloat and painful gas until I get it all out) and greasy sausage gives me the big D. Well lettuce is not very good on my gut either.

Funny just how individualized this is. Your egg dish would make me sick, even just the smell of it. I keep hoping that will go away, but I'm at 14 months and no let up yet.

Steak is generally safe for me, but not always. Sometimes it just won't go down.

I can even eat the donut and bready stuff and sugar alcohols in moderation. Two pieces of sugar free candy, no problems. Three pieces and I can feel a small bit of bloat. I haven't pushed it beyond one donut, but that doesn't cause me any problems on a good day. On a bad day, I wouldn't put myself in a position to even smell them.

Funny just how individualized this is. Your egg dish would make me sick, even just the smell of it. I keep hoping that will go away, but I'm at 14 months and no let up yet.

Steak is generally safe for me, but not always. Sometimes it just won't go down.

I can even eat the donut and bready stuff and sugar alcohols in moderation. Two pieces of sugar free candy, no problems. Three pieces and I can feel a small bit of bloat. I haven't pushed it beyond one donut, but that doesn't cause me any problems on a good day. On a bad day, I wouldn't put myself in a position to even smell them.
I couldn't eat eggs at first (probably took 6 months before I really could) and then it was only sunny side up eggs that were never over cooked. Runnier the better. I couldn't do scrambled then, but that changed over time.

A go to food for me from about 3 months out, and it really helped me to start getting more liquids in as well because I can't drink if not thirsty, was nuts. I nibbled on cashews, sunflower seeds, honey roasted peanuts and almonds all day. It really helped me get in my protein and liquids. Not sure how nuts do with you but they were great with me.

and you don't want to eat the doughnuts and such. They aren't good for you. Once in a while and in moderation, but don't start a bad habit. You have to find a protein food that works and get the protein in first. I can cheat the carbs because I am still so malnourished and need the nutrients, but it will catch up and since my revision carbs hurt if I eat too many. ...so I know that I will need to cut way back as I get up to the proper weight (Note I still get a ton of protein in every day 175-250 grams daily).

I have a crazy addiction/love affair with cheese & saltines. It's the easiest thing for me and utterly safe. Other crackers not so much but saltines and I have an understanding. I'm also a junky for Progresso canned soups. I keep all of these things at work so that no matter what is going on I've got food. If I'm out of those things I always have protein powder, my other love in life. I'm weird I suppose.

Gosh, it sounds like your stomach really is unsettled. The suggestion you saw on the other thread is great for narrowing down what is problematic and what is safe. All the replies you've gotten have good mellow foods for starting back in one at a time. My stomach is fairly bullet proof, but if there is something that may give issue, it's usually something very carby like a donut or cake. I hate to admit it, but my beloved coffee can be an issue too, so I have to restrain myself and limit myself to a few cups a day.

Latest posts

Back