What are your CC & AL Lengths?

DSRIGGS

Yes, that is chocolate covered bacon
I was having an interesting conversation about Common Channel and Alimentary limb length today and my measurements are:

CC = 100 CM

and from what I can deduce

AL - 150 CM

I am wondering what length limbs the rest of you have and if you know what your total small intestine lengthy is? I do not know the length of my small intestine.

By the way I found this chart that approximates Small Intestine length to height. I am just under 6'2 so this chart would say that my small bowel length should fall somewhere between 900 & 1,100 CM.

http://meetings.ssat.com/abstracts/2014/Mo2053.cgi

Mo2053_A.jpg

My intestine measured 710cm and I'm 153cm. My surgeon mentioned it was " longer than usual" although from the graphic it appears to be shorter rather than longer. CC=140cm, AL= 160 cm, BL=410cm.

According to my post operative report:
I have a 46 - French bougie,
100 cm common channel
150 cm alimentary limb

I am 5'8" tall, 18 months post-op and weigh 148.8 pounds. My goal weight, which I picked from an old comfortable weight, is 145.

Last edited:
Mines od , 50 cc and 250 No bougie used hand to be done by free hand due to the mess from my rny

Mines od , 50 cc and 250 No bougie used hand to be done by free hand due to the mess from my rny
So the reason i started this post is that I was talking with Dr K and he suspects that my alimentary limb could possibly be too short and that both limbs might need adjusted. The kicker is that my surgeon doesn't do the Hess method and does a standard 100/150 CC combination so he doesnt measure the small bowel. This means that my length is unknown so without that information Dr K says we could under or over correct....my surgeon is an excellent cutter and if I can convince him to do the Hess method on revision I will have him do it because I don't want my wife to have to travel to California again helping somebody recover from surgery.... But if have to i will have Dr k do the procedure

My surgeon does the cookie cutter approach. 100 cm CC, 150 cm AL and the 46 French bougie. I questioned him about this before surgery because I had some concerns after reading about common channel lengths on the various forums. He told me that people are more alike than different and that in his 25 years of doing bariatric surgeries and keeping up with the studies, he believed that even with different starting length of intestines, patient weights and heights, and different physiologies, a basic configuration worked. I am not saying he is right, how would I know, I am just telling you his thoughts behind the cookie cutter approach.

My point to all of this is, could there be more going on with your extreme weight-loss than common channel and alimentary limb lengths? Some other underlying health issue in combination with your DS? I am sure that it could very well be that you are just a special case and that your DS is completely "super charged". I just worry that an adjustment will not be enough. Maybe more of your villus were destroyed in the process than usual and they haven't grown back and won't grow back? What if you have some other kind of wasting disorder?

I am sorry if I am pointing out the obvious especially, if you've already covered all of this in previous threads.

My surgeon does the cookie cutter approach. 100 cm CC, 150 cm AL and the 46 French bougie. I questioned him about this before surgery because I had some concerns after reading about common channel lengths on the various forums. He told me that people are more alike than different and that in his 25 years of doing bariatric surgeries and keeping up with the studies, he believed that even with different starting length of intestines, patient weights and heights, and different physiologies, a basic configuration worked. I am not saying he is right, how would I know, I am just telling you his thoughts behind the cookie cutter approach.

My point to all of this is, could there be more going on with your extreme weight-loss than common channel and alimentary limb lengths? Some other underlying health issue in combination with your DS? I am sure that it could very well be that you are just a special case and that your DS is completely "super charged". I just worry that an adjustment will not be enough. Maybe more of your villus were destroyed in the process than usual and they haven't grown back and won't grow back? What if you have some other kind of wasting disorder?

I am sorry if I am pointing out the obvious especially, if you've already covered all of this in previous threads.
Valid questions so thanks.

I had labs drawn laSt Tuesday and do pretty much every month. Everything is in range other than copper and K a little low. My white count is higher than normal but in range at 9,000....ANC is just slighty over range but not enough to be significant.

I am trying to figure out what else can be done testing wise but not sure much csn be tested other than labs.

Btw I understand what your surgeon is saying and I am pretty sure Marshall would agree. I can tell you Dr k vehemently disagrees and I believe this was presented at the ASMBS meeting last year and they concurred(have to verify).... Dr k is very science driven and tells me that the science supports the Hess method.... So it is an interesting debate

I have read the study regarding the different CC lengths and I agree with it. I just pray that lengthening your CC and AL will do the trick.

I have read the study regarding the different CC lengths and I agree with it. I just pray that lengthening your CC and AL will do the trick.
Thanks hon! Still trying to figure out exactly who will do it, when and what will happen to each letter limb.

Scott- forgive me for asking this if you've already answered it, or if I'm having a brain fart, but what exactly would lengthening the alimentary limb do? Isn't that where the food is traveling without any digestive juices, so in theory, not much of anything is being absorbed there?

Latest posts

Back