Well now I am confused! Do we have a DS and VSG for dummies?

I loved my VSG!!!! I did end up revising to the DS but the VSG allowed me to lose just over 200lbs :) Had I had a start weight under 500, I *might* have been able to get away with just a VSG, but I didn't, I started at 644...so....I have a DS :D and I love it too, but for different reasons! :)

Hi there...I'm one who revised from VSG to DS.
I did great with my sleeve initially and lost 120 lbs pretty effortlessly.
A series of life events happened including being severely anemic for over a year where I was basically living on sonic ice, pistachios, and coffee. I think that's when my metabolism just gave up.
All the things going on caused me to put other things on the front burner and myself last. I wasn't able to focus on eating the way I should. Prior to the anemia I was asked by a dear friend to be his medical power of attorney and make all his end of life decisions as he was dying of pancreatic cancer in a very hostile and volatile environment. That's not something you can say no to. For months that was my sole focus...I was in another state the last few months and the situation was so bad I couldn't leave him alone with the vultures there at all so I had no choice but to eat whatever was available in the house.
After all of that and after the anemia was resolved with a hysterectomy and an iron infusion, I started to eat healthy again and I started to gain weight. I wasn't as diligent as I had been that first year but by no means was I eating crap everyday either. I ended up gaining about 50 lbs back. I tried and tried to get it off and couldn't lose a lb.
I'm not at ALL making excuses...just explaining why I think my metabolism is shot. I own that regain. I COULD have done things differently.
When I expressed concern about my weight regain to my husband and told him I wanted to get serious about trying to lose it, he jumped on the bandwagon with me. We started tracking everything we ate, he started doing research to see how he could help me. After a few months, he was losing weight and I hadn't lost a single lb. he agreed that I was broken and supported me revising to the DS. I was also self pay (for both VSG and DS) so off to Dr. Ungson in Mexico we went. I also had a partial resleeve as it was discovered that the bottom portion of my stomach wasn't touched at all during my first surgery.
It's been 8 months now. It's not been easy. I'm super carb sensitive and I have to be extremely diligent about what I eat. The DS hasn't really "fixed" my metabolism. I have to fight for every ounce I lose. I wasn't expecting it to be easy though..I know my body. I'm also not very active which I know plays a part as well.
I hate when I see people say, "I had the DS so I could be normal and eat like a normal person". I am NOT normal, nor will I ever be, nor will I ever be able to eat like a normal person. Most people would say I'm on a lifelong diet. I prefer to look at it as a way of eating. It's a lifestyle change.
I was back up to 201. I was 196 the day of my revision and today I'm at 153. I might lose a lb or two a month.
Bottom line is the VSG was a great tool for me...until it wasn't. Knowing what I know now though, I wish I had gone with the DS from the get go. I've learned a lot from my experiences and I hope that knowledge will stick and will aid me in not making the same mistakes again.

Latest posts

Back