weight loss rny to ds

First of all, my post to the OP came AFTER a PM conversation in which I had already said something similar - and my message is still the same - weight loss is SECONDARY to health, especially for the most dangerous revision of all (RNY to DS). If the weight loss per se (i.e., appearance) is the goal, I really think you are starting out with the wrong attitude. It is likely going to be a very high price to pay to suffer through the operation, recovery, high likelihood of complications, etc., for weight loss, especially if you are one of the majority who is NEVER going to get to or maintain goal weight long term. Are you going to feel it was "worth it" if you end up having to deal with stinky gas, taking a metric buttload of supplements, and weigh 190 lbs/BMI 32? Because it is highly likely you'll end up in something like that situation.

On the other hand, you're also likely to end up with most if not all of a cholesterol level in the mid-100s; triglycerides <100; fasting blood glucose < 100; low normal blood pressure. If THAT is your primary goal, then you are likely going to be OK, and not disappointed.

I have the cash to self-pay for the reconstructive surgery I "need." I won't do it. I had one procedure (partial facelift and brachioplasty) in 2009 and the misery of that procedure was enough to convince me it was not worth it to suffer that much just to look better. I had the time and money to do it (I had been laid off with pay for three months while my company was acquired, and stock option money in hand), and the surgery schedule set up, recovery house and everything. I backed out after that first procedure because it wasn't worth it - and the next procedures (circumferential body lift and thighplasty) would have been 10 times more painful. I wasn't going to give up months of my life (and possible death) to that misery, just to look better.

Thank you all, so much for your response. I was hoping this would be a place to come for support and info and admittedly I may had judged Diana too soon, so I do apologize. It just surprised me that the first thread that caught my eye, as it was describing exactly what I am going through, was met with such a harsh reply.

I know this will not be a breeze and have been researching this revision for quite sometime. I am 47 and my prayer is that before 50, I will be a much healthier me. I am in Tennessee, so I was thrilled to find that Dr. Boyce is in Knoxville.

Again thank you all do much.

Thank you so much. I was just a bit startled by that first reply. Glad yo be here. I have researched the doctor so much that I love hearing from postoperative people like you. Thanks.

First of all, my post to the OP came AFTER a PM conversation in which I had already said something similar - and my message is still the same - weight loss is SECONDARY to health, especially for the most dangerous revision of all (RNY to DS). If the weight loss per se (i.e., appearance) is the goal, I really think you are starting out with the wrong attitude. It is likely going to be a very high price to pay to suffer through the operation, recovery, high likelihood of complications, etc., for weight loss, especially if you are one of the majority who is NEVER going to get to or maintain goal weight long term. Are you going to feel it was "worth it" if you end up having to deal with stinky gas, taking a metric buttload of supplements, and weigh 190 lbs/BMI 32? Because it is highly likely you'll end up in something like that situation.

On the other hand, you're also likely to end up with most if not all of a cholesterol level in the mid-100s; triglycerides <100; fasting blood glucose < 100; low normal blood pressure. If THAT is your primary goal, then you are likely going to be OK, and not disappointed.

I have the cash to self-pay for the reconstructive surgery I "need." I won't do it. I had one procedure (partial facelift and brachioplasty) in 2009 and the misery of that procedure was enough to convince me it was not worth it to suffer that much just to look better. I had the time and money to do it (I had been laid off with pay for three months while my company was acquired, and stock option money in hand), and the surgery schedule set up, recovery house and everything. I backed out after that first procedure because it wasn't worth it - and the next procedures (circumferential body lift and thighplasty) would have been 10 times more painful. I wasn't going to give up months of my life (and possible death) to that misery, just to look better.

Thanks so much for your reply. I want to feel better first, not just look better. Ironically, I don't have cholesterol issues, or blood pressure issues. My father was my age when he died of his third heart attack. Heart issues are rampant in my family. I have dodged that bullet so far.

My husband and I have both had cancer. Thankfully, we are on the cancer free side, of course, you never say it won't come back; but we are several years out. I more years than he. But I have horrible arthritis now, anything and everything wears me out. I have horrible gerd, shortness of breath, sleep apnea, and horrible depression just to name a few. My husband has high blood pressure and is facing hip replacement surgery along with back surgeries. The hips are already shot, so regardless of weight loss, they are to be replaced. His orthopedic has said with much weight loss he is at 360, though he is 6'5 that he may be able to avoid the back surgeries. He also has sleep apnea among other things as well. He will be 55 soon, so being healthy is his primary goal.

I am not looking for reconstructive surgery. Not to sound vain, but at 45 I know I don't look my age, though the weight probably ages me. I can thank staying out of the sun my whole life for that, along with regular use of sunscreen. I was 31 when I had my RNY and stayed a size 8 until four years ago. I know with age it may be much different but I didn't have lots of excess skin, and I really tighten up fast. My highest weight was 258 and I am 5'2. At any rate, the reconstruction surgery is not on my radar. My husband and and I can just love each other's saggy skin, as we have our fat. Ha. Thankfully, we also have really good insurance and have verified these weight loss surgeries are covered, with only a few hurdles. I was part self-pay my first go round.

Thank you again for your reply. I have researched and read so much, regarding having this revision for over a year. But I'm sure more questions will arise. My husbands hip surgeries are coming up, so it will be next year before we even could have surgery, giving me more time to think and ask questions.

@Tallula.Belle You and your Family are obviously facing a LOT of challenges, for sure….and I’m sure you will overcome them all. We are all really extended Family here and welcome you with arms wide open and appreciate all that you can bring us as well!

BTW….I only mean this in the most respectful way that a gentleman can say, but if that’s you in the pic, you are a very beautiful Lady! Jus sayin…:D

Last edited:
SO true @robs477 I was lucky enough to finally meet Larra in person at our hotel in Burbank after my revision surgery and she is a sweetheart to whom I owe a lot. These two ladies, and Liz are fantastic and help so many people.

Scott, I was lucky enough to finally meet Larra in person also and you are 1000% right again! An absolute wonderful Lady, just like she is here.

Aww, you guys! Thank you both.

@Tallula.Belle it sounds like you and your DH both have some good reasons for surgery. And you know by now that this won't be a walk in the park. Many of the people we've seen with RNY to DS revisions have had serious complications, needed more surgeries, long recoveries, etc. It really is a tough operation to get through. Regarding your DH's need for hip replacements, yes he'll still need them, but his recovery and use of those new hips will be a lot better if he's at a lower weight, and the new hips will also last longer.
I hope you are able to jump through the insurance hoops without too much trouble. Do you have a RNY to DS revision surgeon lined up?

Scott, I was lucky enough to finally meet Larra in person also and you are 1000% right again! An absolute wonderful Lady, just like she is here.
Awesome Rob. She is such a super lady

@Tallula.Belle You and your Family are obviously facing a LOT of challenges, for sure….and I’m sure you will overcome them all. We are all really extended Family here and welcome you with arms wide open and appreciate all that you can bring us as well!

BTW….I only mean this in the most respectful way that a gentleman can say, but if that’s you in the pic, you are a very beautiful Lady! Jus sayin…:D

Thank you so much, not only for your compliment but for your words of welcome.

Aww, you guys! Thank you both.

@Tallula.Belle it sounds like you and your DH both have some good reasons for surgery. And you know by now that this won't be a walk in the park. Many of the people we've seen with RNY to DS revisions have had serious complications, needed more surgeries, long recoveries, etc. It really is a tough operation to get through. Regarding your DH's need for hip replacements, yes he'll still need them, but his recovery and use of those new hips will be a lot better if he's at a lower weight, and the new hips will also last longer.
I hope you are able to jump through the insurance hoops without too much trouble. Do you have a RNY to DS revision surgeon lined up?

Yes, we live about three hours from Knoxville and I have read good things about Dr. Stephen Boyce. A friend of mine had a virgin DS about 10 years ago, with some doctor up north, who has since retired and then had a revision to her DS which I had never even heard of. She and I don't live in the same state, and she flew out to Dr. Keshishian, so that was my plan before researching and realizing Dr. Boyce was here in Tennessee. As a side note, she has done awesome. She was close to 400lbs and has lost over 100 in the five months since surgery. I realize it won't be a breeze, nor am I basing how my outcome might be compared to others but I am going in with that knowledge. I don't work, so I at least don't have that worry of complications and worrying about a job too.
I am glad my husband decided to do it as well, not only for the health benefits but so we can cheer each other on. Our only real requirement is three month documented visits with a nutrition.

Latest posts

Back