Hello - RNY to DS Revision

Hello everyone,

My name is Amber and I am scheduled to have revision surgery on 11/21/2018. I meet with my surgeon tomorrow to ask all the questions I can. I found this site while searching for information about revision RNY to DS. I’m finding this group is much more knowledgeable than the articles I’ve read online. I had my first surgery, RNY gastric bypass, on 5/17/2007 and lost 100 lbs. I’ve gained 65 of those lbs back due to not being educated about how to eat/behave. This time I have had thorough education on diet and exercise and will have post-op support - which I didn’t have with my first surgery.

I really don’t know what to expect but hope to find answers tomorrow. Does the surgeon “undo” my original gastric bypass and then do the DS? I’m also having a hiatal hernia repaired and my gallbladder removed. This is all being done laporoscopically and I was told it would take 2-2.5 hours. That seems like a lot in a short amount of time! If anyone has any words of advice, I’d greatly appreciate it!

Thank you,

Amber

Welcome Battenabrowngold
A true RNY to DS revision does take the RNY down and back to "normal", then make it the DS.
I don't believe there is a RNY to DS revision surgeon in NC. I've heard rumors that Dr. Sudan may do them but no proof.

Make sure that you ask the surgeon EXACTLY what he plans to do, writing AND drawing it for you. A RNY to DS is about the same complexity as a heart transplant.

Rex Bariatrics/North Carolina Surgery in Raleigh performs these (I assume true RNY to DS - but I will ask tomorrow). They don’t have it listed on their website, but they do perform revisions. My surgeon is Dr. Peter Ng. He said he has performed over 100 of them. I should ask why they don’t advertise revisions. They used to without going into detail as to what kind before they revamped their website.

Thanks for the reply!

Amber

Hello everyone,

My name is Amber and I am scheduled to have revision surgery on 11/21/2018. I meet with my surgeon tomorrow to ask all the questions I can. I found this site while searching for information about revision RNY to DS. I’m finding this group is much more knowledgeable than the articles I’ve read online. I had my first surgery, RNY gastric bypass, on 5/17/2007 and lost 100 lbs. I’ve gained 65 of those lbs back due to not being educated about how to eat/behave. This time I have had thorough education on diet and exercise and will have post-op support - which I didn’t have with my first surgery.

I really don’t know what to expect but hope to find answers tomorrow. Does the surgeon “undo” my original gastric bypass and then do the DS? I’m also having a hiatal hernia repaired and my gallbladder removed. This is all being done laporoscopically and I was told it would take 2-2.5 hours. That seems like a lot in a short amount of time! If anyone has any words of advice, I’d greatly appreciate it!

Thank you,

Amber
Who is doing your Revision?

welcome to the forum, Amber.
I just saw your RNY to DS thread and urge you to read and then carefully re-read the good advice you are getting there.
I wish you all the best and glad you found us! :)

I would recommend you get a second opinion to better understand what you’re undertaking and to ensure you’ve selected the best revision team as the RNY to DS takes a really experienced surgeon. Contact Dr. K for a video consult as he’s one of the best around for this procedure:

Ara Keshishian, MD, FACS, FASMBS
10 Congress St, Ste 300
Pasadena, CA 91105
Phone: 818-812-7222

Latest posts

Back