VSG vs. DS (Sydney, Aus.)

Well, it's apparently read/responded to by someone else in the office, but I've been told he also reads the emails addressed to him. All I can do is hope he's willing to take me as a patient since he's really the only skilled enough surgeon to do the DS on me in Australia.

I'm starting to get anxious. It's been nearly a week now, and no response from his office. I'm started to get really nervous that they're going to turn me down. What do I do if the only experienced DS surgeon in Australia says no? I'm telling you, the flight from the US to here was KILLER and that's when I was feeling good - it took me months to recover from an injury I sustained in the flight. The armrests went up on the flight we were on (and I had two seats, of course), but the armrest on the END of the aisle didn't go up, and there was only a few inches of space between the end of the armrest and the seat in front (this plane had even smaller legspace than usual). I had to literally SHOVE that seat (and the person in it!!!) forward in order to get out to use the restroom twice during the flight, and still injured myself trying to get in and out of that aisle. I don't know how in the HELL I could do that post-op - I'd probably tear all my stitches. :( Obviously we're looking for a slightly roomier aircraft next time, but I just don't know how someone my size would navigate a flight that long post-op. It would just be a horrendous nightmare. Not to mention there's no way in hell we could find $30k to pay for the surgery out of pocket, even if we COULD get to and from the US.

Geez, I hope Nottle gets back to me. I don't know what else to do. It kills me that a year ago I had really good insurance while living in the US that probably would have covered it, but I just wasn't mentally in a place where I knew I needed surgery yet.

Thanks, EN. I'd already tried contacting them through their website weeks ago and they never responded to that, either. Either they're avoiding me intentionally or just really busy... hoping it's the latter. Tomorrow will have been a week - I'll call them tomorrow if I haven't heard from them. Feel like I should give them at least a week before I try to follow up.

@more2adore my initial thought about flying is that most of that could probably be solved if you fly on an airline that allows you to choose your seat when booking your ticket? I don't know much of anything about flights to Australia, but I used to always book myself one of the emergency exit or "more leg room" seats, or better yet, the first row. That or calling the airline to explain that you're disabled (sorry, I never liked thinking of myself as disabled, but I WAS) and returning home from surgery would probably get you placed in the front row.

Many times on international flights (as was the case on the one we were on) only a couple of rows even have armrests that raise AT ALL, and those rows (for whatever dumb reason) are all the way against a back wall of a section. Emergency exit rows aren't an option for people my size on any flights - they will just reseat me as I'm not considered in good enough condition to be charged with helping people exit the plane should there be a disaster. Being this size, I already know/am aware of every tool at my disposal (including seatguru) to help me select the best possible seating arrangement for me, but the truth is there is no GOOD arrangement for a flight as long as the one to/from Sydney from the US.

Many times on international flights (as was the case on the one we were on) only a couple of rows even have armrests that raise AT ALL, and those rows (for whatever dumb reason) are all the way against a back wall of a section. Emergency exit rows aren't an option for people my size on any flights - they will just reseat me as I'm not considered in good enough condition to be charged with helping people exit the plane should there be a disaster. Being this size, I already know/am aware of every tool at my disposal (including seatguru) to help me select the best possible seating arrangement for me, but the truth is there is no GOOD arrangement for a flight as long as the one to/from Sydney from the US.
:(

I just inboxed you about calling their office, but just to add to what I said: it is much easier to ignore/overlook an email than an actual person on the phone. They will also realise you are serious about Peter Nottle, in particular, doing your surgery. A polite, but firm nudge can go a long way, lol.

I tried calling them yesterday, but the person I needed to speak with was out. It took me 20 minutes to get up the courage to call yesterday, and only about 10 minutes to work up the courage to call today. It's just scary... I was so afraid they'd say no, they couldn't help me, and then I didn't know what I'd do. Anyway, the person I talked to said they hadn't gotten either email message from me, and asked me lots of detailed questions. She said she thought Prof. Nottle could help, and that if I'd email her my medical history she'd talk to him and see what he thought, and she'd call me if for some reason he thought he couldn't help. She went ahead and set up an appointment for a consult for mid-September. It'll be about a nine-hour drive for us to get there, but if he can help me, it'll all be worth it. :) Keep your fingers crossed for me, please! (And thanks for all your help Parousia. You're fab!) :)

Oh, don't worry - I'm not. Like I said, I have an appointment in September. So yay for that! :D If for some reason they call and say they can't help me (I hope they don't! :( ) I'll have to do some serious thinking about what to do next.

Latest posts

Back