Vit. C & Iron

aaa

I'm looking to add Vit. C to my iron intake. I take 1 Poly-Iron 150 Cap. twice daily. How much Vit. C should I add to each dose?

Thanks.

The vitalady dose was 1000 mg with her 300 mg elemental iron. It was taken all together along with 2 mg with copper. So maybe, you should take 500 mg with each of your two doses of iron.

I was wrong, vitalady also has a 1000 mg dose at dinner time in her schedule. I only take the 1000 mg at bedtime with my iron though.
So would that mean 1000 mg. with each dose of iron instead of 500 mg. or maybe 500 mg. with one dose and then 1000 mg. with the other?

I've never eaten when taking iron. I'm having some issues with the Vit. C and iron together. ( Stomach and saliva). Am I wrong in thinking I saw somewhere something about eating when they're taken together?

Precautions
Drug information provided by: Micromedex

When iron is combined with certain foods it may lose much of its value. If you are taking iron, the following foods should be avoided, or only taken in very small amounts, for at least 1 hour before or 2 hours after you take iron:

• Cheese and yogurt
  • Eggs
  • Milk
  • Spinach
  • Tea or coffee
  • Whole-grain breads and cereals and bran
Do not take iron supplements and antacids or calcium supplements at the same time. It is best to space doses of these 2 products 1 to 2 hours apart, to get the full benefit from each medicine or dietary supplement.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-sup...ute-parenteral-route/precautions/DRG-20070148

I am sorry you are having trouble. I have done just fine with mine. There are iron supplements available that are unaffected by food. I don't know how well we absorb them though. I have always just taken the Sundown Natural Perfect Iron which is a carbonyl form and usually well tolerated. I take Now vitamin C in a capsule. I also take a 2 mg copper tablet at the same time.

I looked up the vitalady tender iron and this is what hers said:

Almost 2-1/2 times more elemental carbonyl iron
No need to take additional Vitamin C for absorption
Colored capsules for easy identification
This product contains Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid). This form of iron does NOT need to be taken on an empty stomach. Iron and Vitamin C are best absorbed when taken together. Do not take with caffeine, dairy, egg, whole grain, other vitamins and minerals. Separate for at least one (1) hour.

WARNING: Keep out of reach of children
Serving Size: one (1) Capsule
Servings Per Container: 400
Amount Per Serving
Ferronyl Carbonyl Iron
62mg ~ 333%(daily value)
(62mg. yielding 60mg. Elemental)
Ascorbic Acid 400mg ~ 667%(daily value)
Inactive Ingredients: Gelatin, Rice Flour, Magnesium Stearate.

http://www.vitalady.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=1330X400

Pretty much the same warning as with the iron I buy with the vitamin C being included in her tablet. Not an empty stomach just avoid the things listed. Maybe you could have a bit of meat with your dose. That might settle your stomach.

Last edited:
This is helpful. I see you take Vit. C in a capsule. The one I have is a tablet and the real problem is my saliva is citrus-y the whole day. Even my food is affected by that taste and I know it's not good for my teeth to have an acidic saliva. I think I'll look for a capsule Vit C.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
I take my iron right before bed - it is the last thing I take and far away from anything else. I just added vitamin C this past week. Hopefully this brings my iron levels up.

Latest posts

Back