Turned bright burning red!!

CaraOC

Credentialed Bitch
Okay I'm at work and I just swallowed my vitamins. I feel like I'm sun burned. My face is burning red as is my chest and upper arms!! I'm thinking niacin but sort of panicked cause I also have many food allergies. Does this happen to others? Holy crap.

I have never experienced that phenomenon. That being said, I don't take any B vitamins other than folic acid on occasion to help artificially increase my H & H.

I have never experienced that phenomenon. That being said, I don't take any B vitamins other than folic acid on occasion to help artificially increase my H & H.
Wouldn't have been so bad had I not then panicked and took benedryl because I was having an allergic reaction. Had to finish my shift with a cherry red face and in a semi comatosed state!!!

@CaraOC most of us with the DS don't need to supplement B vitamins, other than what's in our multi. With gastric bypass, B12 and other B vitamins are a real issue and require supplementation, but not for us. I've had my B12, 6, and other levels checked annually for 10 years now and still have normal or even elevated (for B12) levels with no supplementation ever. So if your labs are ok, ditch the B vitamins and just take what your really need to take. There is such a thing as too much of a good thing (or you could be allergic to some minor component of the pills, like the coating, of some such thing, but either way, the simpler you keep things, the better.

Niacin turns my Scottish skin crimson. It burns too as I recall. This is a fairly common reaction. I don't have a reaction to the low dose of niacin in a multi but I do if taken independently.

This happened to me and I freaked out too and took lots of Benadryl. It was a mixed B from vita lady. Weird that I had been taking it for months and then it just happened out of the blue. My guess is that there was more niacin than average in that one capsule. Not a lot of quality control with vitamins.

Niacin turns my Scottish skin crimson. It burns too as I recall. This is a fairly common reaction. I don't have a reaction to the low dose of niacin in a multi but I do if taken independently.
I'm all Irish!! Born in Ireland, raised in Ireland!! My Irish white skin looked ridiculously red. I was so embarrassed!! I too have been taking the vita chicks B-50 daily and this hasn't happened before. I'm thinking it was maybe because I hadn't eaten too much prior. I read on her site if you eat a fatty food prior to taking it it helps. She mentions cheese or ham.

I'm all Irish!! Born in Ireland, raised in Ireland!! My Irish white skin looked ridiculously red. I was so embarrassed!! I too have been taking the vita chicks B-50 daily and this hasn't happened before. I'm thinking it was maybe because I hadn't eaten too much prior. I read on her site if you eat a fatty food prior to taking it it helps. She mentions cheese or ham.
I would listen to Larra and stop the B Vitamins as DS'rs don't typically need them. I don't think the food has anything to do with it. JMO

Latest posts

Back