tracking your intake

for the full year of weight loss, I used a pen and paper system. I carried a small notebook in my purse, so it was always nearby, whether at work, at home, at restaurant, or out visiting. That way I could write down what I ate quickly while it was top of mind. Waiting until I had access to a computer and a lengthy input process didn't work for me.

After weighing all of my food for the first few months, and looking up protein counts, it became pretty easy to estimate the protein content of what I was eating. Most meats and cheeses are 6 or 7 grams of protein per ounce of food. And most prepared products have good nutrition labels (at least we do in Canada). I knew it wasn't an exact science. Protein was all I counted as I kept carbs to a minimum. And I had no problem exceeding my water intake.

now, the most important numerical measure for me is the scale. I still weigh myself daily and log it in (pen and paper I keep next to the scale). My weight bounces +/- 5 pounds from my normal weight, sometimes jumping 5 pounds in a day. As long as the weight keeps staying in this range, I know my eating is OK and my DS is doing its job. The nonnumerical measure I use is the fit of my clothing.

I use MFP & pen/paper to track food & exercise. I also have a quick app from Google Play to track fluids only...it's free, easy & fast once you set your values...it's called Water Intake - drink, hydrate! by Plague.cz...I've tried many others & like this one the best.

Latest posts

Back