The story continues...

Yvonne

If you're following my story at all, I had switched surgeons because of being jerked around AND I wanted the DS not the SADI because of my metabolic issues. I've been working on this for a while. I have crappy insurance and an $8000 deductible. I was denied twice for the SADI, cost me another $1000 with an attorney that I never used, because I switched surgeons at that time. I NEED this surgery before the end of the year because we'll go bankrupt if we have to pay another $8000 deductible. I am a full time college student and my husband is literally working 7 days a week AND he builds beautiful furniture on the side to make extra money.

The new surgeon took all the stuff from the other place. The only thing the new psych guy required was for me to attend ONE support group meeting. I was working with the amazing insurance person at their office who was SURE she'd get it approved, but when I called to ask about going to the support group she told me she had passed me to the "revision nurse" (have my crapband taken out and the DS done). I called and talked briefly to her. I went to the support group, the guy there faxed the paper saying I attended (last Wednesday night), the same night. I called her on Thursday afternoon to see if she got it and she wasn't there. I left a message. The receptionist told me that she doesn't work every day. So I left her alone on Friday and recalled on Monday. It went straight to voice mail; I figured they were closed that day. I called back today and was told the revision nurse only works occasionally, when she's needed. I was like "WTF". They know how important this was to get me in, even Dr. Inman said they're going to do everything possible to get me in. So the receptionist told me I needed to talk to the Office Manager as she handles all the revision paperwork (including insurance). Well, she wasn't at her desk and I left a message for her this afternoon (it was late and they closed soon after I called).

I'm super super nice when I call. But I have to explain my situation with each new person I talk to. I don't want to come across as some needy baby that is demanding they fit me in. I even said "I'm not saying my surgery is more important or more urgent than anyone else's". I told her in the message that I will take any cancellation at any time (even two day from now). But guys I'm really really sick and need this to happen. Our finances can not take another huge deductible. We used to have such good insurance. Apparently the ACA feels that catastrophic insurance is "good enough". We're old and going broke. I'm working towards graduate school next year to be a therapist for kids and teens. But I need my health to do all I have plans for. Just so discouraged.

I am so sorry for your frustration. Take a few deep breaths and keep in mind that December 31 is more than 2.5 months away. It could all come together by then. I;ve got my fingers crossed.

Keep on calling. Start earlier in the day. Request the office manager. If she's not available, ask when she will be available. Explain not only your personal situation, but that given the time crunch you can't rely on someone who isn't there enough to stay on top of this and get done fast. Remind them each time that you will accept a cancellation date. Don't give up!

I won't give up. I can promise you that. I'm going to call the original woman in insurance and see if she can find out where it might be in the process and explain to her that I haven't heard from anyone because they are not calling me back. If anything, she'll put a buzz in their ear to get it done. She's VERY efficient.

Ugh. So frustrating! Sorry and know that this will work out somehow, someway, if you keep at it! :)

Get the regular insurance person working on your case if you can, but still talk with the office manager. She needs to know that there is a problem in the office. And it's time for you to move up the food chain.

How about telling them something like, "I don't want to be a pain in the hindquarters, but if we don't get this moving RIGHT NOW, I'm going to wind up being unable to have any surgery at all because I will not be able to pay another EIGHT THOUSAND DOLLAR DEDUCTIBLE. So, dear Whatever Works As Needed Person, I sure hope you will suddenly see that YOUR PRESENCE IS NEEDED. Thanks, and I'll be calling every day."

Latest posts

Back