The first rule of Meat Club...

Wow. 120g. I'm impressed.

My DS sleeve reacts like a band, I guess. It just really hates protein. And I ate Atkins protein-centric for DECADES so the last thing I expected was not to be able to eat the very thing I am supposed to eat (and like). At 6 months out, it is getting better, meaning a couple of bites of protein will stay down (yay!), just hurt like hell for a couple of hours. I only eat about 2-3 ounces of animal protein in a day (if that). The rest is greek yogurt, some almonds, maybe cheese... and 2-3 Premier Protein RTD. It has only been in the last week that I have managed to eat an egg so maybe I can add those.

Your chops look delicious! I'm felling inspired to try one for dinner. And I love zucchini sautéed in butter and garlic and sprinkled with parmesan so I want to have that too.

Gee, why don;t you post each of your meals so I can copy them and not have to think about meal planning? :)
Not exactly gourmet Italian but Olive Garden has a really good Chicken Picata that they serve with baked zucchini with a parmesan topping. I love their Pasta e fagioli that I get with that entree. They also have a stuffed chicken marsala that is really good (think is it a mozzarella stuffing)
olive-garden.jpg

Have you had your sleeve looked at? You are 6 months out now or more? I would think you should be able to eat more meat by now. I struggled for a while but at 6 months was seeing a lot of improvement in that regard.

Have you had your sleeve looked at? You are 6 months out now or more? I would think you should be able to eat more meat by now. I struggled for a while but at 6 months was seeing a lot of improvement in that regard.
Depends on how small the sleeve part was made in the first place. I have a very small sleeve. It took me 12-18 months before I could eat 5 oz of dense protein. (Steak). A small hamburger, using the bun as a holder, stuffed. 2nd breakfast is ONE egg, 2 pieces of bacon (maybe) and a piece of heavily buttered toast. Lunch is usually cheese (Costco carries the deli squares) and I eat about 4 of them.

I'm jealous of those who can eat more. Having a tiny sleeve is tiresome, esp after more than 5 years.

Depends on how small the sleeve part was made in the first place. I have a very small sleeve. It took me 12-18 months before I could eat 5 oz of dense protein. (Steak). A small hamburger, using the bun as a holder, stuffed. 2nd breakfast is ONE egg, 2 pieces of bacon (maybe) and a piece of heavily buttered toast. Lunch is usually cheese (Costco carries the deli squares) and I eat about 4 of them.

I'm jealous of those who can eat more. Having a tiny sleeve is tiresome, esp after more than 5 years.
Yep and you know how anti-small sleeve I am. I think it does a disservice to the patient and I feel for you who were given a small sleeve......and yes that was going to be my next question for @Clematis was , do you know the rough volume or bougie size used for your sleeve.

Hamburgers sat like a rock in my gut up until 12-16 months. They still aren't my favorite thing to eat because if just slightly overcooked they get rubbery and that I think causes them to not sit well. Steak, chicken, chops, ribs, pulled pork, etc. go down very well. Really cold hard boiled eggs and egg whites in general don't agree with my stomach either.....strange, but they feel very heavy....again because they are kind of a rubbery texture is what I think causes the issues.

I'm sorry to hijack this thread.

I think my sleeve was made the standard 5oz/3/4c. He used a 36 french but whether he stapled close or loose, who knows. But this isn't about sleeve size as I don;t have a volume issue -- I can quickly eat an entire small bag of popcorn at the movie theatre and I don't feel uncomfortably full. Ditto for gobs of nuts. But literally one bite of meat and I'm ready to explode and my stomach aches like I have to burp (but can't). I made scampi the other night and could only eat one.

WHAT IS IT ABOUT PROTEIN???

Overnight, when I switched from 40mg PPI to 20mgPPI a month ago, I finally stopped puking when I ate protein. That was a real plus! So I have made some progress. But I still have a couple hours of discomfort -- protein takes FOREVER to digest. I tried stopping PPI completely but I was in agony from heartburn pain.

WHY DO SOME (MOST?) PEOPLE HAVE NO TROUBLE WITH PROTEIN?

I too am jealous of those who can eat more. Actually, I just want two things: to be able to eat enough protein so that I don;t have to rely on protein drinks and can travel, and to be able to eat enough protein at a meal in public so that table mates don;t quiz me as to why I am not eating. Oh, yeah, and to win the powerball.

Actually, I just want two things: to be able to eat enough protein so that I don;t have to rely on protein drinks and can travel, and to be able to eat enough protein at a meal in public so that table mates don;t quiz me as to why I am not eating. Oh, yeah, and to win the powerball.
I am able to rely on what I eat versus drink...but it took me about 4 years to get to that point. And how much you eat out in public is no one's business but I do understand. I just head them off at the ass by saying I am having a tiny tummy day...and even normies have those.

I really would love to win the powerball! Dh and I know what class A motorcoach we would buy as a replacement to the 38' DP we have now. *I* want a bath and a half in one. And a king not a queen bed.

Don't want to fly...I LIKE riding (and yes, I do know how to drive the DP), you see far more of the country that way.

I love driving! I drove from Florida to Memphis and Chicago, then from Chicago to Los Angeles (via the Grand Canyon and Vegas) with one of my girlfriends. Best vacation activity ever.

Including way too much BBQ meat in Memphis, and a visit to The Big Texan Steak House in Amarillo (which was very kitschy and fun) for some rocky mountain oysters!

That looks yummy even though, I am not a lamb fan! We went to dinner two nights ago and I ate a dinner salad with shrimp and cashews, a 16 oz. steak and a big side of broccoli and carrots. I can really eat when I am hungry.
That salad sounds good, and I can easily down a 16oz steak. I would have passed on the carrots as they don't sit great, and maybe have had a bite or two of broccoli but I would have definitely had a baked potato with butter and sour cream.

@Charris: My surgical report is long but doesn't mention sleeve size or limb lengths at all, so I am pretty useless when it comes to sharing exactly what my insides look like these days, unfortunately.

I love driving! I drove from Florida to Memphis and Chicago, then from Chicago to Los Angeles (via the Grand Canyon and Vegas) with one of my girlfriends. Best vacation activity ever.

Including way too much BBQ meat in Memphis, and a visit to The Big Texan Steak House in Amarillo (which was very kitschy and fun) for some rocky mountain oysters!
No thanks on the driving that kind of distance. That is why we have planes. :D

No thanks on the driving that kind of distance. That is why we have planes.

It was over about four weeks. I did Florida to Chicago solo, then met up with my girlfriend in Chicago. We sang a lot of really bad pop music, talked about how awful men are (sorry!) and went to dumb attractions like the Roswell UFO museum that you'd otherwise drive right by. Driving is my relaxing time, especially on isolated highways. I really miss it, and disappear for a long drive at least one day with my old car when I go to visit my parents!

Latest posts

Back