Sunday Weigh In (6/12/2016)

Thanks @DSRIGGS

As much as I hate the profound limitations of the BMI system, I have to go with it. I can’t rely on my eyes to gauge whether I am an acceptable weight. I can’t rely on the size of my clothes as the size on the tag in 2016 bears little relationship to the same size on the tags of 2006 and no relationship to the tags on clothes from 1996. I can't rely on family and friends -- I'm sure I don't have to explain THAT.

Normal BMI is 18.5-24.9 — midpoint is about 21.2. That's the normal of the normal and that’s what I’m hoping for.

In the days before BMI where there was a weight range based on height (and also based on “frame”, gender, and age), I, as what was known as “small framed,” was told I should weigh what would now be called a BMI of 20. In fact in 1980 at my current weight (barely normal BMI though it now is) I was sent to a “fat” doctor and was put on an impossible ultra-low calorie diet of only liquid protein. (Not what we think of today as a protein drink, rather a clear-ish 100% protein substance the consistency of syrup, but unsweetened and unflavored and tasting like bad perfume. I got three, 1 oz “shots” of it a day, each one resulting in dry heaves. That was all. Lost 12# almost overnight, was too weak to move, gave up in two weeks and the first time I ate food, it was right back on by the end of the day.) A decade later through sheer determination I got down to a BMI of 18.5 (although BMI hadn’t been invented yet) and I looked skeletal so I know I don't want to go that low.

But again, the DS is going to take me where it wants. I really can’t imagine eating more or less than I do now.
I hated the BMI when I was significantly overweight, but I do think it is much more accurate in the lower ranges (yet still flawed somewhat). We are all different, but for me at my lowest of 170 lbs that put me at exactly a 22 BMI and I felt horrid. Even today at a 23.7 I don't feel like I used to and I look scrawny, so that is where my comments come from. Like I said though and obviously you know it, we are all different and maybe that 21 BMI is a good number for you.
This is just my philosophy but I would say that the best indicator of where a person "should be" weight/bmi wise, is where they feel the best and whatever that BMI is, it is. Screw what anybody else thinks or what freaking clothes sizes say. I see people who are heavier and honestly fatter than me who wear 34 jeans/pants and some 34's fit me well, but sometimes I need a 36. Pretty sure that is all my frame will allow but when somebody tells me they are wearing a 34 I think to myself, bull shit you are a size 38. :D Silly but that still messes with my head a tiny bit.

Regarding eating more, I bet that 6-12 months from now you are surprised at the difference in volume and variety that you can eat. At your point in the journey I was just starting to be able to eat much at all...nowhere near what I have been for the last year.

In any case I am glad to see you hit this milestone and you are doing well this DS thing!

Pretty sure that is all my frame will allow but when somebody tells me they are wearing a 34 I think to myself, bull shit you are a size 38.

Hahaha Men do this too? I think this ALL THE TIME, not only with people I know but with total strangers who I read about in a magazine who admit to weighing 170 and say they wear a size 4. (Any woman who admits to a weight of X is usually X + 15, at least.) I think Kirstey Alley said something absurd like this when she was on Dancing with the Stars -- it was obvious to me she was at least 200 and whomever made her clothes was lying to her about the size.

Hahaha Men do this too? I think this ALL THE TIME, not only with people I know but with total strangers who I read about in a magazine who admit to weighing 170 and say they wear a size 4. (Any woman who admits to a weight of X is usually X + 15, at least.) I think Kirstey Alley said something absurd like this when she was on Dancing with the Stars -- it was obvious to me she was at least 200 and whomever made her clothes was lying to her about the size.

Funny you bring this up myself and another DS er were discussing this last night. I look like a size 10 I'm my mind but my clothes are a size 3/5 or a small. I resolved it is because I have big body parts but its because i have lots of hanging skin that has no fat in it.

Black dress and stripes most recent

PhotoGrid_1461270523610.jpg

Hey looks like you have settled in Scott!
Hi @Charris I think I have to an extent but I was actually at 189 for a few days last week (I must have been full of shit!) :p

Thanks and I hope you are getting better everyday. Hang in there darling.

Yeah, believe me it isn't a big deal to me but it is more of a ...bull shit...who do you think you are fooling kind of thing.

and hell my wife when she was 110 lbs was a size 4 so I am not buying the 170 lb lady in a size 4 but like we said, who cares about what the tag says if we are happy in our skin. Fuckem! :p

LW:209.1
TW:208

I shouldn't be, but I'm a bit bummed that this is moving so slow. I was up and down all week and it was the same 3 pounds!! Ugh! I'm not going to get caught up in it too much. My glucose readings have been phenomenal and I go for blood work first thing tomorrow. It's really only been 7 weeks on Tuesday. I'm down 35 pounds since surgery. I shouldn't complain.

Got to eat green beans and some ground beef! No problem there. Tried some of the Morningstar Farms Chipotle Black Bean burgers.. ummmm....ate 3/4 of one (after picking out the whole kernels of corn) and was utterly miserable from 8:00 pm till 4:00 am!! Ive not been so nauseous since surgery as i was that night. It might be the brown rice or something else they are made with but I'm not doing those again for quite awhile! !

Good to see everyone again this week!!

LW:209.1
TW:208

I shouldn't be, but I'm a bit bummed that this is moving so slow. I was up and down all week and it was the same 3 pounds!! Ugh! I'm not going to get caught up in it too much. My glucose readings have been phenomenal and I go for blood work first thing tomorrow. It's really only been 7 weeks on Tuesday. I'm down 35 pounds since surgery. I shouldn't complain.

Got to eat green beans and some ground beef! No problem there. Tried some of the Morningstar Farms Chipotle Black Bean burgers.. ummmm....ate 3/4 of one (after picking out the whole kernels of corn) and was utterly miserable from 8:00 pm till 4:00 am!! Ive not been so nauseous since surgery as i was that night. It might be the brown rice or something else they are made with but I'm not doing those again for quite awhile! !

Good to see everyone again this week!!
35 pounds in 2 months is great. That is on pace for 210 lbs in a year if that rate continues!

Latest posts

Back