Sunday Weigh In (12/20/2015)

southernlady

Administrator
Staff member
Didn't weigh this morning....had to get the puppies outside and then got started on my coffee/milk/and yogurt and forgot to weigh.

So I will claim last weeks for this week.

LW 266.2
TW 261.4

Lots of holiday parties this week. Had a hard time resisting the homemade baklava and cannoli (not to mention my own cookies!), but I did and it seems to have paid off. Two more days of work then I'm off until Jan 4th. Need to get organized - including clearing the closets of all the 3x/4x clothing and trying to find things I can wear to work.
Merry Solstice and best wishes to all for the holiday season. Have a great week!

LW 266.2
TW 261.4

Lots of holiday parties this week. Had a hard time resisting the homemade baklava and cannoli (not to mention my own cookies!), but I did and it seems to have paid off. Two more days of work then I'm off until Jan 4th. Need to get organized - including clearing the closets of all the 3x/4x clothing and trying to find things I can wear to work.
Merry Solstice and best wishes to all for the holiday season. Have a great week!
You did good. Sounds like this week was hard but you did it.

176. My body is crazy. I am sure within a day or two it will be 171

LW BMI: 33.1
TW BMI: 33

Very disappointing that 5.5 weeks out, I can only eat about 350 calories a day, power walk 3-4 miles, yet I lost less than a pound last week. How is that even possible? Am I a tillandsia?

Solids are still a no-go, and worse than a week ago. Went out to lunch the other day (first time) and ordered lobster bisque soup as I had had the Costco version the day before without incident. After five small spoonfuls, three of which had small chunks of very soft lobster, I was done and praying that the pain wouldn’t start. But it did. I struggled to look “normal” for the sake of my dining companion, until I had to stand up and scout out the location of the bathroom. I held it together until after lunch, made it home, ran in the door and hurled. (First, there is always a blob of clear mucous like a jellyfish, followed a few minutes later by “clean” undigested solids — all liquids, sauces, soups etc have passed on to the intestine.) The next day I tried Wendy’s chili which I tolerated well the past 2-3 times. Now, less than a half ounce and I felt full… and then the pain started and I lost the chili an hour or so later. Today I dug out the Fisher Price Baby Food Processor that had been collecting dust for 24 years. (When I can only eat an ounce, the blender is just too big.) I pureed 2T of the remaining chili and I was a little uncomfortably full but it stayed down. BTW, my surgeon is useless. After telling them that I get ill after eating, at best, a tablespoon of rice-sized flecks of solids in a tiny infant spoon over a long period of time, they replied that I should eat smaller, dime-sized bites. Uh, rice-sized is far smaller than dime-sized.

(I am oversharing for the benefit of others looking in to surgery or newly switched. I know I read these threads pre-surgery. I saw people post that they were sick as dogs from day one or had major complications, but never saw anyone post that they were OK except for the fact that they couldn’t eat solids this far out from surgery.)

176. My body is crazy. I am sure within a day or two it will be 171
Shaking my head...Scott, I would be nuts if I did this. BUT I am more worried about your lab levels than your weight.

Very disappointing that 5.5 weeks out, I can only eat about 350 calories a day, power walk 3-4 miles, yet I lost less than a pound last week. How is that even possible? Am I a tillandsia?

Solids are still a no-go, and worse than a week ago. Went out to lunch the other day (first time) and ordered lobster bisque soup as I had had the Costco version the day before without incident. After five small spoonfuls, three of which had small chunks of very soft lobster, I was done and praying that the pain wouldn’t start. But it did. I struggled to look “normal” for the sake of my dining companion, until I had to stand up and scout out the location of the bathroom. I held it together until after lunch, made it home, ran in the door and hurled. (First, there is always a blob of clear mucous like a jellyfish, followed a few minutes later by “clean” undigested solids — all liquids, sauces, soups etc have passed on to the intestine.) The next day I tried Wendy’s chili which I tolerated well the past 2-3 times. Now, less than a half ounce and I felt full… and then the pain started and I lost the chili an hour or so later. Today I dug out the Fisher Price Baby Food Processor that had been collecting dust for 24 years. (When I can only eat an ounce, the blender is just too big.) I pureed 2T of the remaining chili and I was a little uncomfortably full but it stayed down. BTW, my surgeon is useless. After telling them that I get ill after eating, at best, a tablespoon of rice-sized flecks of solids in a tiny infant spoon over a long period of time, they replied that I should eat smaller, dime-sized bites. Uh, rice-sized is far smaller than dime-sized.

(I am oversharing for the benefit of others looking in to surgery or newly switched. I know I read these threads pre-surgery. I saw people post that they were sick as dogs from day one or had major complications, but never saw anyone post that they were OK except for the fact that they couldn’t eat solids this far out from surgery.)

At 5.5 weeks, your innards are still very much healing and pissy.

BUT I suspect you may need to see someone...you could have issues like a stricture or need a new/different PPI. Unless you eat TOO fast or too much, (and that varies all over the place) you should be able to keep most stuff in your system like chili. BUT then again, it might be the Wendy's chili. Or the Lobster Bisque in a restaurant where you do not know what is added. One thing for sure...you need to see someone. At this point if your surgeon is unable to help is to reach out to another DS surgeon, like Dr. K in California, via email or phone...getting an EKG may be in the works as well but let them tell you that.

And one reason for lack of loss is not eating enough. Which is hard as hell to do when it all comes back at you. Your 350 calories is at worst (assuming it was all sugar) is 350 calories but most likely about 200 once malabsorption is factored in and that is below starvation level. The human body will stop losing if you go too low for a month or so...it's only in long term (thinking a year or more) where you see the stick figures with protruding belly.

LW 126
TW 126

Working really hard to be sure to get my protein in each day. Think a bit of the 'Blues' has affected my appetite, but I know what I need to do and am doing it. 'Eating to live' rather than my normal 'living to eat.' My grandchildren do help keep me going! :)
Hope the week is joyous for all!

Last edited:
LW - 206.6
TW - 201.8

well, I weighed, couldn't stand it. will stay of the scale now till Jan 16 - monthly anniversary of surgery. Did have a NSV too - was standing at the back door waiting on the dogs and had my hands on my hips. I noticed a lump on the right side so started feeling myself up and shit - it was a hip bone. Kinda cool!

Solids are still a no-go, and worse than a week ago.

@Clematis, I am concerned for you - I agree with @southernlady 100%. You need to be seen and you are so not losing weight because your body has gone into starvation mode and you are power walking. I can't believe you are not passing out. Call the surgeon back or find you one here.

LW: 258.2
TW: 253.6

Last week I went up 2.6 lbs, so that must have been a blip. I'm back on track, down 6.6 lbs for the month.

I noticed a lump on the right side so started feeling myself up and shit - it was a hip bone.
Love that!

I can't believe you are not passing out.
I can't believe I am not passing out, either. I have been on total Slim Fast liquid diets at 800 calories where I have been light headed (but I was also losing weight at a fast clip). Less than half that caloric intake and I'm OK, although not as high-energy bubbly as pre-surgery -- and I'm also not losing weight in proportion to my intake. Well I guess I can be thankful that I'm not prone on the couch with weakness.

LW: 241
TW: 238

This was a good week for me although I kind of messed up with carbs a time or two. I'm finally in the habit of taking my vitamins - I didn't miss any this week - and I found a high-protein meal I can make that sits well even if I have a tiny tummy day. Life is good!

Last week: 153
This week: 148.8
Loss of 4.2 pounds. It is nice to be back down. I really like it here. We shall see what sticks.

At 5.5 weeks, your innards are still very much healing and pissy.

BUT I suspect you may need to see someone...you could have issues like a stricture or need a new/different PPI. Unless you eat TOO fast or too much, (and that varies all over the place) you should be able to keep most stuff in your system like chili. BUT then again, it might be the Wendy's chili. Or the Lobster Bisque in a restaurant where you do not know what is added. One thing for sure...you need to see someone. At this point if your surgeon is unable to help is to reach out to another DS surgeon, like Dr. K in California, via email or phone...getting an EKG may be in the works as well but let them tell you that.

And one reason for lack of loss is not eating enough. Which is hard as hell to do when it all comes back at you. Your 350 calories is at worst (assuming it was all sugar) is 350 calories but most likely about 200 once malabsorption is factored in and that is below starvation level. The human body will stop losing if you go too low for a month or so...it's only in long term (thinking a year or more) where you see the stick figures with protruding belly.

Thanks, SL.

I have been around 350 calories for more than 6 weeks counting the clear liquid diet before the surgery, so that certainly explains the starvation mode. I'd give my body a round of applause for its efficiency if I wasn't so exasperated. I am going to try my best to increase calories, even if that means carb-y refried beans and nuts. (Still odd that I can eat nuts which my teeth pulverize, but not teeny flecks of chicken.)

As long as I feel OK and am not showing jaundice, arrhythmia or something alarming, I think I'm going to try to hold off contacting a gastroenterologist until January 1. My surgeon said "some" people can take as long as 8 weeks to manage solids and I will be pretty close to that by then. So if I still can't handle them, I know I have a problem. Besides, without me showing a medical crisis, there's unlikely to be an opening with a gastro before the first of the year anyway. (There is no surgeon around here who regularly does a true DS and even then, would be loathe to take on an out-of-town unknown surgeon's case.)

LW 126
TW 126

Working really hard to be sure to get my protein in each day. Think a bit of the 'Blues' has affected my appetite, but I know what I need to do and am doing it. 'Eating to live' rather than my normal 'living to eat.' My grandchildren do help keep me going! :)
Hope the week is joyous for all!
As long as you keep getting protein and hydration...Not wanting to eat can happen but we no longer have the option.
LW - 206.6
TW - 201.8

well, I weighed, couldn't stand it. will stay of the scale now till Jan 16 - monthly anniversary of surgery. Did have a NSV too - was standing at the back door waiting on the dogs and had my hands on my hips. I noticed a lump on the right side so started feeling myself up and shit - it was a hip bone. Kinda cool!

@Clematis, I am concerned for you - I agree with @southernlady 100%. You need to be seen and you are so not losing weight because your body has gone into starvation mode and you are power walking. I can't believe you are not passing out. Call the surgeon back or find you one here.
Good going and SO close to Onederland! It's kinda cool to feel your bones!
LW: 258.2
TW: 253.6

Last week I went up 2.6 lbs, so that must have been a blip. I'm back on track, down 6.6 lbs for the month.
You are doing good.
LW: 241
TW: 238

This was a good week for me although I kind of messed up with carbs a time or two. I'm finally in the habit of taking my vitamins - I didn't miss any this week - and I found a high-protein meal I can make that sits well even if I have a tiny tummy day. Life is good!
That is great. Learning to be diligent with vitamins is probably the hardest part. And glad you found a high protein meal for tiny tummy days.
Last week: 153
This week: 148.8
Loss of 4.2 pounds. It is nice to be back down. I really like it here. We shall see what sticks.

Doing great...and I understand liking being in the 140's. :)

Hmmm...sounds like a stricture to me

Latest posts

Back