Sue’s stupid parking ticket.

Spiky Bugger

After I got thrown out of the hospital because my blood wasn’t clotting fast enough for surgery, I was treated and then tested.

We went to hematologist, then Quest. While that happened, the RING said we had a package delivered. It was MrSue’s expensive, keep-refrigerated meds from the VA. I called my sister and asked her to pick up the package from our front porch.

On the way home from Quest, on a Friday at about 11:23 am, we stopped to pick up the package. We APPARENTLY were cited. We are disputing the citation. (Used to be, if state and county laws were in conflict, state laws prevailed. We shall see.)

We were ON OUR WAY to the hearing to dispute this, phone rang, a cop in a nearby city had just been shot, all hell was breaking loose, meeting postponed until whenever. This MAY BE moot because the city has to hear our disputes in a certain time period and they cancelled.). Anyway, DianaCox :

This is PART of the notes (three different “clips”) I had prepared for myself:

Also, they have to prove their case. The burden of proof is on them. Fingers crossed for you! At least you can come home to a soothing bath afterward.

Also, they have to prove their case. The burden of proof is on them. Fingers crossed for you! At least you can come home to a soothing bath afterward.

My previous “at least” was: the ticket is $55.00. I can afford the $55.00. But, dammit…I’m going to get my money’s worth!

So while I object to paying for a ticket I don’t deserve, I don’t mind AS MUCH if I get some kind of enjoyment out of it. And pointing out to the city that their following a county ordinance that’s in conflict with state law…and that I might want to take it up one more level of appeal, pitting the city against the state…that’s kind of getting my money’s worth. (In my odd way of viewing the world.)

But the bath will be good, too.

They have rescheduled. So I have to go for the legal debate. But I think I have a chance. The STATE defines parking. And we were not parked.

go get em!!!

I don’t mind AS MUCH if I get some kind of enjoyment out of it. And pointing out to the city that their following a county ordinance that’s in conflict with state law…and that I might want to take it up one more level of appeal, pitting the city against the state…that’s kind of getting my money’s worth. (In my odd way of viewing the world.)

it makes sense to me: can't wait to hear what happens! hope you enjoy yourself!

Ooh, ooh, let me, a patent attorney (AKA a scientist who went over to the Dark Side), represent you! At worst, you might get 10 years in Pelican Bay!

We won.

Apparently. we SHOULDN’T have, but I was charming, self-denigrating, and cute.

We were in violation of the COUNTY parking law, which is allowed to be more stringent than the state law. But there were errors and we STILL haven’t received the damned citation, so there’s that.

I started by apologizing because we were challenging this on principal, and those are almost always the most difficult people. “But honestly, I’ve probably already spent more than the $55“ (cost of the ticket) “on printer ink for all the maps and paperwork I just handed the clerk.”

:)

congratulations!
Well, truth be told, charming was more like I tried to be polite and I didn’t say ugly things about the ticket-writer; and “cute” means I showered AND used the blow-dryer and put “product” in my hair.

The self-denigrating part was when I said that the officer’s comments were that we FLED from the scene. I said something like, “Well, I know you’d NEVER guess this from looking, but I’m 75 years old and what with the walker and all, I haven’t fled from anything for many years.”

Well, truth be told, charming was more like I tried to be polite and I didn’t say ugly things about the ticket-writer; and “cute” means I showered AND used the blow-dryer and put “product” in my hair.

The self-denigrating part was when I said that the officer’s comments were that we FLED from the scene. I said something like, “Well, I know you’d NEVER guess this from looking, but I’m 75 years old and what with the walker and all, I haven’t fled from anything for many years.”
Spoken like a true smart-ass. I love you.

Latest posts

Back