Sucalose again, Breaks up DNA.

"For the study, researchers conducted a series of in vitro experiments exposing human blood cells to sucralose-6-acetate and monitoring for markers of genotoxicity."

Huh... I thought red blood cells had no nucleus, hence no DNA... I wonder which of the many white blood cells it altered

Fwiiw.. DNA is always getting screwed up... take a high altitude plane ride and you'll damage DNA... lucky there are nuclear proteins that help correct the errors. That's not to say genotoxic chemicals are good, only that there are recovery mechanisms

Anyone going to give up Splenda based on this report?

For me, it's hard to get perspective.. if you look for things that are genotoxic, lots of stuff comes up, e.g., meat

which concludes "The results indicate that diets high in fat and meat but low in dietary fibre increase the genotoxicity of faecal water to colonic cells and may contribute to an enhanced risk of colorectal cancer."

Translation.. eat a lot of meat and your poop is genotoxic

Here's another that I knew about (heterocyclic amines and nitrosamines)

"cooking conditions and dietary habits can contribute to human cancer risk through the ingestion of genotoxic compounds from heat-processed foods"

Translation... grill your food and create a genotoxin. You can avoid the problem by boiling instead of grilling meats... but are the carnivores among us going to boil?

My take is splenda is just not necessary, and, with a little effort, you can learn to like bitter coffe.. but beware "Coffee has been shown unequivocally to be genotoxic in vitro"

But.. you're in luck but "no genotoxicity has been seen in vivo testing. "

Which goes to show a shortcoming in the splenda study... the results were in vitro, not in vivo

Last edited:
"For the study, researchers conducted a series of in vitro experiments exposing human blood cells to sucralose-6-acetate and monitoring for markers of genotoxicity."

Huh... I thought red blood cells had no nucleus, hence no DNA... I wonder which of the many white blood cells it altered

Fwiiw.. DNA is always getting screwed up... take a high altitude plane ride and you'll damage DNA... lucky there are nuclear proteins that help correct the errors. That's not to say genotoxic chemicals are good, only that there are recovery mechanisms

Anyone going to give up Splenda based on this report?

For me, it's hard to get perspective.. if you look for things that are genotoxic, lots of stuff comes up, e.g., meat

which concludes "The results indicate that diets high in fat and meat but low in dietary fibre increase the genotoxicity of faecal water to colonic cells and may contribute to an enhanced risk of colorectal cancer."

Translation.. eat a lot of meat and your poop is genotoxic

Here's another that I knew about (heterocyclic amines and nitrosamines)

"cooking conditions and dietary habits can contribute to human cancer risk through the ingestion of genotoxic compounds from heat-processed foods"

Translation... grill your food and create a genotoxin. You can avoid the problem by boiling instead of grilling meats... but are the carnivores among us going to boil?

My take is splenda is just not necessary, and, with a little effort, you can learn to like bitter coffe.. but beware "Coffee has been shown unequivocally to be genotoxic in vitro"

But.. you're in luck but "no genotoxicity has been seen in vivo testing. "

Which goes to show a shortcoming in the splenda study... the results were in vitro, not in vivo

I eat some newfangled thing called sugar.

My labs are good and I weight just about half what I did in 2005.

I've been using stevia, but I'm hearing things about that as well. Humans are great at creating things that are bad for ourselves.

I'm trying to switch fully to sugar and honey, but still often take Equal in my coffee and like to have a few Frescas a week.

Latest posts

Back