Stricture

Dawn

So it was confirmed today that I have a stricture. It's what has been causing all the pain swallowing. I don't have an appointment with the surgeon yet to see what options are available. Argh I just can't catch a break with this operation yet. Oh well better days ahead :).

At least now you have an explanation as to WHY you are struggling so! And hopefully the stricture can be fixed with endoscopy. Keep us posted.

I am sorry you are having such a tough time! I hope they can fix it quickly and completely.

OK, you know what you are dealing with - I hope it can be fixed quickly and painlessly. I suppose they can differ depending...on stuff! but I have heard of people getting strictures fixed fairly easily.

keep us informed and internet hugs to you!

:5grouphug:

I developed a stricture with my RNY to DS as well. I did one rod dilation with Dr. Simper down in Utah and two more balloon EGDs up here with my local gastro. Mine was right where esophagus meets sleeve.

@Paula that's where mine is too. However it's also where I got a leak so they are not sure if that area is strong enough to with stand a balloon dilation yet or if it will cause another leak.

Good luck with that, @Dawn. I didn't have to deal with the leak. They thinking of opening you back up or waiting to see if the leak resolves?

Thank you SO much for posting this.

I didn't know what a 'stricture' was so I looked it up and then thought to myself "Wait, that isn't normal???" I've had the restrictive / gurgle thing going on since my surgery, but I thought it was just part of the normal healing. I realized that while everything else has gotten much better, the backup-up pressure feeling had not changed. So, I've emailed with the surgery and saw my pcp doctor. It's 10 days soft food for me and if I don't notice any improvement in five days I will make an appointment with a camera. Without this post I'm not sure how long I would have calmly waited. I'm clueless that way fairly often. :confused:

Thank you SO much for posting this.

I didn't know what a 'stricture' was so I looked it up and then thought to myself "Wait, that isn't normal???" I've had the restrictive / gurgle thing going on since my surgery, but I thought it was just part of the normal healing. I realized that while everything else has gotten much better, the backup-up pressure feeling had not changed. So, I've emailed with the surgery and saw my pcp doctor. It's 10 days soft food for me and if I don't notice any improvement in five days I will make an appointment with a camera. Without this post I'm not sure how long I would have calmly waited. I'm clueless that way fairly often. :confused:

Aww that's awesome Brandy, not the stricture part but that I was able to help you :). Hope you feel better @Brandy soon.

So it was confirmed today that I have a stricture. It's what has been causing all the pain swallowing. I donp't have an appointment with the surgeon yet to see what options are available. Argh I just can't catch a break with this operation yet. Oh well better days ahead :).
@Dawn I am pre operative. Where was your structure? Is this the only place an r n y to DS can get one? How was it fixed? So glad you're doing better. Thanks.

@Dawn would the scope and balloon thing be done at a doctor's office or hospital? One day procedure? How do you know you have a stricture? Is it painful?what causes a stricture?
Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. After everything you've been through please know I really appreciate it!

It was done at the hospital because they give a light sedation. Done within an hour. In my case it was caused because I had a large leak and they sewed it too tight. A stricture is basically a narrowed passage way. Depending on how bad it is some people have it that water cant even get through.

You can tell you have one in my case after a bite or two it was very painful when the food was trying to get through the narrow opening. I could feel exactly where it was happening. It's diagnosed with a xray swallow test. It's not really life threatening unless it's so bad you become dehydrated and is pretty easy to fix.
Hope that helps :). Anything else let me know.

Latest posts

Back