Still tired of MY eye-yey-eye...

Spiky Bugger

The procedure takes two whole minutes and doesn't cost much at all...and I'm Medicare and there IS no pre-auth procedure and so why am I not already DONE with this?

No huge health hazard, but it's like I have vaseline smeared on one of my lenses of my eyeglasses. Neck strain, headaches and grouchiness.

They had better get this scheduled right away!

Laser Capsulotomy.

Posterior Capsule Opacity and Laser Capsulotomy
One of the most common problems after cataract surgery is clouding of the membrane around the lens. The membrane is referred to as the posterior capsule, and once the membrane becomes opacified, the condition is termed posterior capsule opacification, or, PCO. A cloudy posterior capsule causes blurry vision, but this condition can be treated easily and safely with a laser treatment in the office or outpatient center.

However, in about 40-50 percent of patients, the posterior portion of the capsule becomes hazy after cataract surgery, causing a PCO. Posterior capsule opacification occurs because cells within the eye grow on the capsule. In some cases, if the condition progresses significantly, your vision may be worse than it was before cataract surgery.

Treating Posterior Capsule Opacity with a YAG Laser
Fortunately, a YAG laser can treat posterior capsule opacity safely, effectively and painlessly. This procedure, known as YAG laser capsulotomy, is performed in your doctor's office or as an outpatient.

• YAG laser capsulotomy involves just a few simple steps:
  • Dilation of the eye is done with eye drops.
  • A laser removes the hazy posterior capsule from your line of sight without making an incision or touching the eye.
  • Drops may be given after the procedure to reduce inflammation.
  • The procedure takes only a few minutes and is painless.
Following a YAG laser capsulotomy, you may resume normal activities immediately. You may experience some floaters (or spots in your vision) afterward. These will likely resolve within a few weeks.

Most people can expect their vision to improve within a day. As with any eye procedure, however, call your eye doctor immediately if vision worsens or fails to improve.

Video, but not a real film:

No huge health hazard, but it's like I have vaseline smeared on one of my lenses of my eyeglasses. Neck strain, headaches and grouchiness.
THAT would make me crazy! It's also why I stopped wearing contacts 2 decades ago...seasonal allergies made them act the same way and no amount of cleaning made it better.

Latest posts

Back