Splenda intolerance, recent development

southernlady

Administrator
Staff member
Something I learned this week.

I started using Splenda so long ago, it wasn’t even sold in the stores. I had to order it from the company that made my diabetic meter. I used it faithfully in all my drink’s except, of course, water. Never bothered me.

But the more I started reading how the use of artificial sweeteners was affecting diabetics long term. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5903011/ that was just one study. There were all the fear mongers around, hard to ignore but made me dig into it.

Okay, so about 4-5 years ago after decades of Splenda use, I gave it up. I’ve been using only table sugar and honey. I use sugar in my tea (now but coffee before). And then switch to water the rest of the day.

Okay, this week, I had to stop my PPI’s, but the last two days, Tums was allowed. Tums has sucralose (aka Splenda) in them. By Wed evening, my guts were in an uproar like I’d had too many sugar alcohols. I knew I hadn’t so I checked the back of the Tums and found sucralose. Stopped the Tums, and it cleared up that end. My GERD was still roaring at me but my guts calmed down.

So the point of this post, don’t rule out Splenda as a cause of their gut issues even if they’ve used it for years.

Last edited:
Glad you found out that Splenda doesn't work for you so you can avoid it, but sorry your guts were in an uproar ths week and that you have one less tool to assist with the GERD. Feel better soon!

Glad you found out that Splenda doesn't work for you so you can avoid it, but sorry your guts were in an uproar ths week and that you have one less tool to assist with the GERD. Feel better soon!
Thanks. I got the endoscopy done on Wednesday and he was going to place the Bravo but found significant damage so he didn’t need to do that. By not placing it, I could resume my GERD meds immediately. I didn’t have to suffer another 48 hours. He also sent out two biopsies which I’ve already gotten the results back, both negative. And in just two months my 3 cm hiatal hernia has increased to 5 cms. (That I DO NOT UNDERSTAND).
I’ve mentioned this new development on FB and others insist on pushing things like Stevia (which has an aftertaste to me) and Monk Fruit. Now they may work but not work for my budget. I’ll stick to plain old cane sugar. It’s expensive enough as it is.

Latest posts

Back