Scared

Hi @-Flo! I too live in Boston..last Fall I participated in Boston Medicals weight loss program trying to determine why I wasn't losing weight when strictly following a customized diet with strength training and cardio. The Director of the program recommended that I have weight loss surgery. Initially, I was offended (I weighed 215 at the time and just knew I could "do it myself"). After meeting with the surgeons, I knew that a purely restrictive procedure would not work for me and I began my research in the various procedures. I am so thankful that I found out about the DS, and this Board!!!

I underwent DS surgery on 2/4/16 in Florida and haven't looked back! I feel great, have lost 35 lbs, have relatively "normal" bowel movements - I go once or twice first thing in the morning (they don't smell worse or better, if anything kind of "chemical") and have not had any uncontrollable gas - no awful smell at all. I've not vomited once....I've had a couple of bouts of nausea, but I think its due to eating a little too much when dining out. Honestly, I took more vitamins/supplements BEFORE surgery - that may change as I have my labs monitored, but I'm fine with taking supplements in the morning and night time. I may have to add some midday.

I honestly wish I had known about this surgery 10 years ago....it would have saved me so much money and anxiety over my weight!!! Also, for what its worth - the DS procedure IS becoming more popular and well known, my surgeon said that 80% of the calls he is getting are people requesting this procedure!!! Just consider yourself on the cutting edge!!!!

You're not crazy - I had some of the same concerns......they all seem so silly now! I feel like I discovered the Holy Grail of Weight Loss (and keeping it off!).

Hi @-Flo! I too live in Boston..last Fall I participated in Boston Medicals weight loss program trying to determine why I wasn't losing weight when strictly following a customized diet with strength training and cardio. The Director of the program recommended that I have weight loss surgery. Initially, I was offended (I weighed 215 at the time and just knew I could "do it myself"). After meeting with the surgeons, I knew that a purely restrictive procedure would not work for me and I began my research in the various procedures. I am so thankful that I found out about the DS, and this Board!!!

I underwent DS surgery on 2/4/16 in Florida and haven't looked back! I feel great, have lost 35 lbs, have relatively "normal" bowel movements - I go once or twice first thing in the morning (they don't smell worse or better, if anything kind of "chemical") and have not had any uncontrollable gas - no awful smell at all. I've not vomited once....I've had a couple of bouts of nausea, but I think its due to eating a little too much when dining out. Honestly, I took more vitamins/supplements BEFORE surgery - that may change as I have my labs monitored, but I'm fine with taking supplements in the morning and night time. I may have to add some midday.

I honestly wish I had known about this surgery 10 years ago....it would have saved me so much money and anxiety over my weight!!! Also, for what its worth - the DS procedure IS becoming more popular and well known, my surgeon said that 80% of the calls he is getting are people requesting this procedure!!! Just consider yourself on the cutting edge!!!!

You're not crazy - I had some of the same concerns......they all seem so silly now! I feel like I discovered the Holy Grail of Weight Loss (and keeping it off!).

@Pugcrazy may I ask how you liked Dr. Sharma. I talked to him on the phone and he seems really nice. The only thing that scared me, is that he said he may have to convert me to an RNY depending on the scar tissue and adhesions from my previous surgeries. Did he do the true DS or the SADI? I haven't heard much about him so I appreciate any input. Thanks!

@-Flo, I love Dr Sharma. He has been fantastic - he took so much time explaining everything to me prior to surgery, and he was at the hospital 4-5 times a day after surgery (he attended every test I underwent as well, very hands on). For what its worth, all of the nurses on my floor raved about him too, thats worth something! His followup care has been fantastic - he's very available for questions/concerns. He also offers one year "after care" and will order and monitor my labs - he has also volunteered to speak to my PCP when I return to Boston in the Spring. He does still require all of the pre-tests that most surgeons require - Psych, labs, Chest X-ray, Sonogram, Nutritionist, etc. (he explained that he has to in order to maintain "Center of Excellence" rating for himself and the hospital) - but he scheduled everything for me in one day which made it easy and convenient. He also required an upper Endoscopy (which he performed) and detected a large hernia which he also repaired during my surgery.

Like you, I'd had previous surgeries and he was concerned about adhesions - that scared me too, as a DS was the ONLY choice for me for weight loss surgery. I had had several abdominal procedures in the past where mesh was used, so he told me he wouldn't know how sever my adhesions were until he got inside. He said he would make "every effort" to do the DS - and thankfully, he was able to do it! Yes, its a true DS with two anastomoses. I can't say enough good things about him.....he's nice, funny - very experienced. He's done WLS's all over the world.

Best of luck with your decision! Let me know if I can answer any other questions for you!

I don't understand, Flo. You already have a VSG. All that needs to be worked on is your small intestines to create a switch (DS). Why would Sharma think he might have to convert you to a RNY? He shouldn't have to do anything to your stomach/sleeve.

The only part of this surgery that I have had issues with is the VSG component (I still have trouble with dense protein). The intestines have given me no issue at all. You've already done the VSG. I doubt you'll have any trouble at all in adding the switch.

@Pugcrazy may I ask how you liked Dr. Sharma. I talked to him on the phone and he seems really nice. The only thing that scared me, is that he said he may have to convert me to an RNY depending on the scar tissue and adhesions from my previous surgeries. Did he do the true DS or the SADI? I haven't heard much about him so I appreciate any input. Thanks!
If he is saying that, run like hell...You want a true DS and unless you are being re-sleeved, he should not have to TOUCH your sleeve.

Thanks @southernlady and @Clematis. I was confused too. We were talking about a possibility of a re-sleeve, thats when it came up. But I would rather have a larger sleeve with a DS, than an RNY.

@Pugcrazy I could be mistaken but it has been my impression that Dr. Sharma did the SADI and not the traditional 2-anastamosis DS. Do you happen to have a copy of your operative report?
Whatever you have, I'm glad the care was good at the hospital and that you are doing so well.

@Pugcrazy I could be mistaken but it has been my impression that Dr. Sharma did the SADI and not the traditional 2-anastamosis DS. Do you happen to have a copy of your operative report?
Whatever you have, I'm glad the care was good at the hospital and that you are doing so well.

Dr Sharma definitely does a traditional DS with 2 anastomosis (check his website). He reviewed it thoroughly with me prior to surgery (we performed a "mock" surgery on a fiberglass model) and I had several senior members of this Board review prior to surgery, as well. Dr Sharma is not a fan of the SADI/Loop and says while it may be an acceptable procedure in the future, the data is not available now to support it. I have requested will receive a copy of my op report at my next visit.

Run from any doc who tells you this! WHY would he ever need to convert to RNY? There is absolutely no reason for this. You already have the stomach that goes with the DS.

Latest posts

Back