Revision DS from GB patient story at Emerson Hospital, Concord Ma

Georgepds

FWIIW... patient profile on revision DS from gastric bypass

I know many search for surgeons that do this operation. Myself, I had a DS in 2 parts from this surgeon (Lautz): first a VSG than a DS

Their notes on revision surgery from the above page

"While these problems can be challenging, the bariatric surgeons at the Emerson Center for Weight Loss have substantial experience in correcting (revising) the variety of issues that can occur.

"If you have suffered problems from a previous bariatric surgery, our team is here to help you. In most cases, these problems can be addressed with revisional bariatric surgical techniques, typically performed laparoscopically, even if the original surgery was an open procedure.

"While performing revisional bariatric surgery for individuals who have regained significant weight is not always possible, we will do everything we can to help you regain your health.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing, great there is a resource for revisions from RNY to DS.

Interesting that the revisions by this surgeon are performed in two parts: “Conversion entails two operations spaced three to six months apart.”

My guess is

1... return to near original condition( pylori valve, duodenum) but with VSG
2... duodenal switch

But it's only a guess. My understanding is scaring is an issue on revisions, or any second surgery on the abdominal cavity.

I was a revision with Dr K. He did the revision in one surgery. He told me there was a lot of scar tissue. is there a medical reason for the time between surgeries? I would think if you waited wouldn’t you develop scar tissue from the first part of the revision?

I don't know. My understanding is historically the DS was done in two parts. The first part, VSG, allowed for weight loss that made the second part easier

But, the whole point of pre op diet is to loose fat in the liver, so maybe that's effective enough

My guess is that
1..noting this was a patient from another practice,
2.. and that it is difficult to forsee how long the stomach reconstruction takes
3.. that 2 parts was deemed prudent to minimize the time under anesthesia

Who knows?

Remember, this is a case study, I have no idea of the general approach, or if there even is one. Only the surgeon and patient know why they chose a particular path

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back