Really easy and delicious dinner I made tonight

DianaCox

Bad Cop
I don't cook most of the time - especially since my husband likes to buy and make nuke-able things, and my daughter sometimes likes to cook. But we went shopping on Thursday, and we bought a big piece of salmon, which I, my daughter and my son like (and my husband doesn't, but I had numbers on my side), and my daughter has a wonderfully easy recipe for - and then we forgot to cook it for two nights, and Jess is away for the weekend, and that fish had to be cooked! So I was stuck with the job - and it turned out to be just as easy as she said it was.

Ingredients: a lovely big piece of fresh salmon, teriyaki ginger glaze (I use this a lot for chicken, so I always have some), topped with thinly sliced lemon (I almost always have one on hand, or I can steal one from the neighbor's tree), and pickled jalapeño (again, something that I usually have on hand), cooked in a foil pouch at 375 for 20-25 min; steamed fresh green beans (bought pre-cleaned, nuked in a steamer bag for 3.5 min, topped with butter) and creme fraiche mashed potatoes from Costco (warmed up leftovers of premade creamy deliciousness). The whole meal took 30 min to prepare, half of it with me not even being in the room.

14673_10152867238316173_5403799900808344757_n.jpg

Plated:

11196357_10152867239771173_3973181138459920410_n.jpg

For the newbies - that is how much I can eat in once sitting, at nearly 12 years out - in fact, I took a break for about 10 minutes after I ate about 2/3, then finished the rest (including most of a can of diet soda). I think that piece of fish was about 5 oz (it was pretty thick) which is 34 g of protein.

I'm not a salmon guy but that sounds delicious! I was also happy to hear about how much you're eating Diana at 12 yrs out. I feel better about myself as I approach my 1yr surgiversary soon. I'm eating a tad better, but definitely eat small amounts. Probably about what you describe or a bit less. I am starting to acquire a taste for white fish recently...especially nice and soft, well seasoned oven poached Haddock, Cod, ...the Northern white fishes. Thanks for the update! I can also see myself trying this on grilled chicken...

I recognize those plates...have a set here at home!

Sounds good...Numbers aren't on my side. Dh doesn't like fish much at all. And since it's a 50/50 split with us, I tend to cook things I know he will eat.

Thank you for this Chef Diana! I am tickled to see meal amounts after surgery. I am hoping to develop a taste for fish again post surgery because it will be a great source of protein.

I can't believe it - after I posted that, Charles admitted he ate the salmon too (my son, Charles and I ate separately last night). His half-hearted compliment - "it was OK." But he ate it! I like salmon too, but like Liz, when it's only the two of us, there's no point cooking a big meal that I'm the only one who is going to eat it - I can only eat leftovers once or twice. Since my kids are living with us, and his salmon-loving daughter is spending a lot of time here too, I have a little more flexibility to buy stuff Charles doesn't like. :)

I'm particularly fond of the Lawrey's marinades - this was actually Seseme Ginger (I also use the Teriyaki Pineapple on chicken a lot):
4328.jpg

That looks really good Diana, I love salmon. I'll have to try some of those Lawry marinades, always looking for new flavors, especially now days due to my new picky ass rotating and changing "Taste buds" :D.

That looks DELICIOUS & so pretty!!! I'll have to try it! Maybe this weekend...it is suppose to be in the mid-70's & beautiful in NJ.

My husband is not a big salmon fan either, but I still insist on making it & have tried it so many different ways that we've found a few variations he finds quite tasty!

I would also like to report that this method of cooking essentially gently poached the salmon, making it tender, moist and absolutely delicious cold - I ate a slab of it for breakfast yesterday right out of the fridge.

Latest posts

Back