• More than 6

Votes: 8 100.0%
  • 4-5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3 or less

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Pattycake813

I have the weirdest question about urination.

In the past few weeks, especially, I have felt like when I go, I have a lot of pee. Of course without peeing into a hat to measure I didn't give it much thought.

Yesterday that changed when I actually did measure my output. Not for the full day- for a single instance. I filled th vessel, overflowed it actually. Then dumped and refilled it. My measured output in a single urination was ~2.5L (about 80 fl oz). Which is not physically possible according to what I was able to find online, which not only suggests that anything above this qty in a day would be considered excessive but suggests max capacity of a normal bladder is approx 400-500ml. (16oz).

Also, I used I go 3 times a day. First thing in the morning, upon returning home from work and before bed. Now I go 5-6 times with a mid morning, mid afternoon and the most recent addition of 2-3 when I wake in a puddle of sweat and figure might as well potty. I haven't really been that concerned about the qty bc it seems to be on par with most of my coworkers, assuming the go in the morning when they get up and before they go to bed.

Yes, my fluid intake is up and I'm thirsty often, but I also do sweat and I have always consumed a lot of water. I don't think my consumption has been excessive compared to normal- but my thirst has been. I also have some dragon breath that could kill anyone within a 2 mile radius upon waking each day. (May or may not be relegated)

I have had my A1C checked actually just a couple weeks ago. It is 4.5, my fasting glucose was 85. So I have not worried about that.

So I made mistake #1 by looking at the internet. Which says my bladder is WAY too big. Not humanly possible if it is healthy. So something is wrong with my bladder and it kidneys by internet standards

Mistake #2 was calling my system who has been a nurse for 20 years but is also a hypochondriac. She instantly jumped to diabetes even with the normal sugar levels suggesting diabetes insipidous which can show with normal A1C

Mistake #3 was my sister calling my mom, who is convinced I am pregnant simply bc of the urination, and I have swollen/tender breasts and night sweats. I have NOT missed a period. My cycle varries in length by 2-4 days., but have not truly missed any. at home tests says this does not appear to be the case .

Needless to say I am planning to call my surgeon on Monday and get his thoughts. Unfortunately my PCP closed his practice 5-6 weeks ago without notice and I have yet to find anyone in town who will accept new patients AND accept insurance. Our town has jumped on the concierge Doc thing so the new docs are all membership based and then you submit what you want to insurance but they are not participating and their $5k- 10k a year membership fee just to allow them to treat and bill you, as needed is neither tax deductible nor applicable to insurance out of pocket max.

So now that I have posted the longest post ever about pee-- I am looking for any thoughts suggestions or similar experiences.

SIADH is my first thought, as a nurse of course.
And while I have never measured my output, I do pee more volume than I did preop, (I'm 4 years out) but less often, but I still go at least 6x/day. I attribute it to the the fact that since the weight loss, my bladder has more room to stretch, therefore larger capacity, than when I was fat and everything was more crowded in there.

@Pattycake813 how much of that fluid has caffeine? Caffeine is a diuretic and will cause more trips. It does not dehydrate but it does insist on leaving the body fast. :)

Honestly, I would not worry as long as your A1C and fasting is okay. But if you really feel the need to find out, get with an endo not a hypochondriac nurse sister.

I demand two urine collection vessels for my 24-hour urinalysis tests. I always need the second one...a little. The problem here, for you, is that I have bladder issues:
#1--Interstitial Cystitis, which causes the multiple trips to the toilet, as urine in the bladder hurts. Weird, huh, since that's where it belongs. That accounts for frequency/urgency...in an IC flare, one can have to pee every half hour around the clock...but not volume.
#2--Kidney stones, are also part of my equation. I think that when small stones are working their way out, they cause some blockage, restricting flow, and I probably think I'm finished and get off the pot and leave and have to return shortly. Again, this is a frequency/urgency issue, not volume.

I just drink a LOT of water, I guess.

And now...

Is there an annual physical with your concierge doctors? There was a jumbo once-a-year exam with ours, which made it deductible. Of course, you have to meet the 10% (or 7.5% of agi) requirement, which most people who can afford concierge medicine do not...but there was one year when it all came together for us.

Check it out:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3...vered-by-insurance-is-this-fee-tax-deductible

Thanks Millie-- that makes sense that my bladder just has more room than it used to now.

Southern lady- I drink mostly water now, but I Addison ally have tea or Diet Coke. So I do have caffeine in my diet. I don't really notice urgency so much as volume.

Spiky Bugger- good call on the annual physical portion. The first couple of groups that set up did not include one, and based on the pricing with them I really never looked into the newer ones that popped up. I may have to check and see what the newer ones are doing bc I don't want to be without a pcp for long.

I think more than anything I just want to make sure there is nothing going on either hormonally that would cause such a thing.

I am in the more than 6 group but I drink a lot. Especially during the summer.

Thanks. I drink more during the summer too, of course I sweat a lot too. Summers in central Illinois are no fun. Hot and humid is how we do summer. Today is only mildly hot- only 90degrees- but that 80% humidity makes it disgustingly unpleasant. When I finish a bik ride it looks like I rode back from the swimming pool-- but nope, it's just sweat.

Latest posts

Back