Protein Loading

Sandy

Been Around A While
Did any of you do protein loading prior to plastics? Assuming one has solid and stable protein levels are there good and valid reasons to protein load pre-surgery? Any good reasons to NOT increase protein prior to surgery?

I saw someone on TV bleed an awful lot during an op on TV and the surgeon said it was cos the patient had low protein, so I increased mine pre-DS.

How much more? I eat a lot now & wonder if I could fit in another burger at dinner. I ask as I'm having wrist surgery on 2/28.

How much more? I eat a lot now & wonder if I could fit in another burger at dinner. I ask as I'm having wrist surgery on 2/28.
I added one scoop to my creamer when I was making protein coffee (had two each morning)...added an extra 60 grams on top of what I was eating already.

I added one scoop to my creamer when I was making protein coffee (had two each morning)...added an extra 60 grams on top of what I was eating already.
I have no protein powder. Never did. I always had premade protein shakes but haven't had one since about year 2. I probably have some of those lying around but they're only about 20gr. I think I'll try the extra burger at mealtime.

Sandy my PS told me to eat high protein before surgery. If I recall I did this for one month and it did include an extra 60 grams of protein shakes per day.
My PS hasn't mentioned it yet, and I go back and forth about increasing my protein. On the one hand adequate protein levels aids healing. On the other hand too much protein gets stored as fat. God knows I don't need that!

Did any of you do protein loading prior to plastics? Assuming one has solid and stable protein levels are there good and valid reasons to protein load pre-surgery? Any good reasons to NOT increase protein prior to surgery?
Yep Sandy. That's important. Before and after procedures.
Arnica is very good too.
Vanessa

My PS hasn't mentioned it yet, and I go back and forth about increasing my protein. On the one hand adequate protein levels aids healing. On the other hand too much protein gets stored as fat. God knows I don't need that!

This is true, but when you get healed you can shift the lbs! I am protein loading atm. I get over 150g a day...and my nurses are stunned at the daily changes in my open wound. From last Tuesday to this Tuesday my wound has gone from 6cm deep to 2.5cm deep. They tell me I am healing abnormally fast....and protein is my secret. Once I'm healed and off my butt I can work on the calories issue, but for now, my number 1 goal in life is to heal the huge hole in my body :)

This is true, but when you get healed you can shift the lbs! I am protein loading atm. I get over 150g a day...and my nurses are stunned at the daily changes in my open wound. From last Tuesday to this Tuesday my wound has gone from 6cm deep to 2.5cm deep. They tell me I am healing abnormally fast....and protein is my secret. Once I'm healed and off my butt I can work on the calories issue, but for now, my number 1 goal in life is to heal the huge hole in my body :)

That is remarkable improvement in your wound! I'm glad to hear you are knocking that out of the ballpark.

Latest posts

Back