Protein Loading

I always read you can only take in so much protein at once, I believe it's 30 grams or so (probably depending on you)

I work out, HARD - and I can recover from workouts enormously fast just because I already have a high protein regiment. I also healed from surgery and a bad cut I got, VERY quickly - it was pretty amazing to see it happening. My hair is growing - nails - fantastic to see. I tell my non-WLS work out friends to double up on what they are doing and they will feel the difference but I stopped doing anymore than 30 every few hours. ;) (be sure to load up on fiber for high pro or your colon will hate you!! Constipation....)

Tracy

I always read you can only take in so much protein at once, I believe it's 30 grams or so (probably depending on you)

I work out, HARD - and I can recover from workouts enormously fast just because I already have a high protein regiment. I also healed from surgery and a bad cut I got, VERY quickly - it was pretty amazing to see it happening. My hair is growing - nails - fantastic to see. I tell my non-WLS work out friends to double up on what they are doing and they will feel the difference but I stopped doing anymore than 30 every few hours. ;) (be sure to load up on fiber for high pro or your colon will hate you!! Constipation....)

Tracy
I've seen a lot of people question the validity of that number, plus there's malabsorption to factor in as well.

I had a non-WLS friend who was about to go into surgery and she was worried because she always had problems with infection and long healing times. Turned out she didn't eat much protein - mostly because her husband was vegetarian and she just didn't go out of her way to eat additional protein. I asked her if she ever tracked how much protein she ate and she said she did once when she was eating "lots" of protein. About 30 grams a day. I told her maybe she should start protein loading for surgery as it was my opinion that the likelihood that she was eating less than 30 grams of protein a day might be a factor in her slow healing process. She immediately started eating much, much more protein. Even her husband went shopping to buy her steak! Her post surgery recovery was much easier and quicker.

Did any of you do protein loading prior to plastics? Assuming one has solid and stable protein levels are there good and valid reasons to protein load pre-surgery? Any good reasons to NOT increase protein prior to surgery?

It is very good to do protein loading prior to plastics. It helps a lot. So, go ahead! ;-) When are you planning to have plastics done? In the US?
I am a nurse and I am specialized on PS. Let me know if you have any questions.
Regards,
Vanessa

Latest posts

Back