President-Elect Joe Biden

I remember the AP doing it for as long as I've been around..., turns put they have been doing it much longer... since 1848

", the Associated Press has been the "gold standard" for calling races for decades and began "counting the vote" in 1848. In the highly contested 2000 presidential race between President George W. Bush and former Vice President Al Gore, for example, the Associated Press never made a call in the election, as it viewed the Florida race as too close to call, the AP said."
I’m not saying it isn’t common practice, it’s just not legally binding until the process Spiky Bugger posted is done.

But many consider the media the legally binding authority. After all, that’s how it’s been done for decades. Imagine Dewey’s surprise when he lost to Truman even tho the media said he won.

So... since 1848, 172 years ago, how many other times has AP got it wrong?

Since 1948,72 years ago,, has AP repeated their Dewey/Truman erorr ?

Honestly, I don't know. I suspect not a bunch, probably only the once

I certainly don't believe the AP observation that Biden won is legally binding, but I do believe it's a true observation based on official tabulation by county, and the law of the land regarding electoral votes

So if I understand the beef, it's that some are confused, and have mistaken the AP for the electoral college.

I think a lot of Americans are confused about the electoral college period. It is convoluted.

Latest posts

Back