Potentially Political Post

@newanatomy , you and I are scary similar. I too have those plans in place. I also have a large, scary dog (my daughters' Akita, Lucy, aka Goose), who is strictly an alarm dog. Not a watch dog, not an attack dog. Strictly sounds the alarm, then is not to be seen. The most you will see of her once you enter the house is the tips of her ears. She apparently knows the difference between "cover" and "concealment" as well, because she only goes for cover. Never met a smarter dog, she looks through windows from outside the house and sees us inside.

Guns are nice, but dogs are really good for sounding the alarm. Unfortunately, the labradear would be useless if the intruder had a tennis ball.
My bulldog would bark he would also then get himself into trouble. He is not smart. Loveable though.

I'm guessing I'll be banned now, for my "right wing" views. If that is the way it will be, then so be it. I've been nothing but respectful in my rebuttals.

nope - we are all about free speech here. people are free to point out why they think you are wrong or they can ignore you.

Here are a few posts collected by Texas friend Rusty Cates under the heading "Today in Responsible Gun Ownership":

Rusty Cates shared a link.
July 24
Today in "Responsible Gun Ownership": A "Responsible Gun Owner" in Minnesota knows that with a gun, any dispute with you neighbor can be quickly resolved.
http://www.startribune.com/local/268354182.html

Charges: Bemidji man shot 17-year-old girl after she told him not to ride mower in her yard
www.startribune.com
BEMIDJI, Minn

July 7
Today in "Responsible Gun Ownership": On the first day of the new Guns Everywhere Law in Georgia one guy with a gun felt the need to pull his weapon on another guy with a gun while demanding to see his ID and Carry License (Something the law requires but prohibits anyone to demand.) Is this really what we have to look forward to in America?

“This is an example of my concern with the new gun law that people will take the law into their own hands which we will not tolerate,” Valdosta Police Chief Brian Childress said.

Now why would anyone be concerned that "Responsible Gun Owners" would take the law into their own hands. OH! SNAP! That why they carry guns in the first place!

http://www.valdostadailytimes.com/t...3358/First-day-of-new-gun-law-leads-to-arrest
-PAXP-deijE.gi

First day of new gun law leads to arrest
www.valdostadailytimes.com
On the first day of the new Georgia Safe Carry Protection Act, a misunderstanding between two armed men in a convenience store Tuesday led to a drawn

June 22
Today in "Responsible Gun Owners": An eight year old boy is dead, his family in mourning, a future lost forever because some "Responsible Gun Owner" thought is was a good idea to let him play with a fully automatic uzi. ""It's all legal & fun — No permits or licenses required!!!!" reads the ad, posted on the club's Web site.
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/27399337/...ccidentally-kills-self-gun-show/#.U6d_Q_ldWa9

Boy, 8, accidentally kills self at gun show
www.nbcnews.com
An 8-year-old boy died after accidentally shooting himself in the head while firing an Uzi submachine gun under adult supervision at a gun fair.

May 27
Today in "Responsible Gun Ownership": A three year old shot and killed his 18-month old brother because a "Responsible Gun Owner" couldn't be bothered to either unload or secure his gun.
http://www.azfamily.com/news/Toddle...ead-while-visiting-Payson-home-260825251.html
-PAXP-deijE.gif

Boy, 3, kills baby while playing with gun
www.azfamily.com
A toddler accidentally shot and killed his younger brother at a Payson apartment on Tuesday.

You get the picture.
B. Children Accidental Death Rates (Ages 0-14)

CauseNumber (Ages 0-14)Number (Ages 0-4)
Motor-vehicle 2,591819
Drowning 943568
Fires and flames 593327
Mechanical suffocation 601508
Ingestion of food, object* 169169
Firearms 8619
Source: Figures are for 2000. National Safety Council, Injury Facts: 2003 Edition, at 10-11, 129.
* The "Ingestion of food, object" category is underreported in the first column since the NSC did not include death rates for "5 to 14 Years."

Last edited:
Self defense in that context means you don't have to turn the other cheek - it doesn't mean you can blow away a bad guy with an AK-47.

You know, when I see someone killed by their own guns, my first thought is always "Darwin Award Winner" rather than feeling sorry for them.
Me too.

It is no less ridiculous than your assertion than weapons ownership is a God given right....Or even that self protection is a God given right. That particular argument can be shredded in moments by anyone with a shred of Biblical literacy. It would be far more productive to leave God out of the discussion entirely.
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his palace, his possessions are safe.
Jesus Christ, Luke 11:21

This forum doesn't ban people for having minority--or majority--views. It fosters open discussion.

The second amendment does NOT call for random morons to go marauding with automatic/semi-automatic weapons. It was created so that a militia--which these days is a group of people who SUPPLEMENT a regular army in an emergency situation, like the National Guard, could be gathered quickly. AND it does not call for "protecting" folks against the very government that over 50% of them elected into office...just because the losers are sore losers.

Sorry about the Title-less graph, I know there are plenty more. I'll get another.

I'm sorry about your BIL. I'm also sorry, maybe even sorrier, about all the dead children. If the only dead people in this dog fight were bad guys shot by good guys, I'd probably keep quiet. But it's the other way around. And WAY too often, children and young adults of color are shot dead by people who claim self-defense because they are afraid of people of color. Well, I'm afraid of religious fanatics of any religion. How many mosques and churches can I shoot up in self defense? Can I shoot up white churches if white guys scare me? What if a white guy is knocking on my door late at night. Can I just shoot him through the door? Will it matter that I'm a little bit brown? (My husband is afraid of people who want to be Rambo on city streets, but never had the balls to enlist.)

About the God-given right...this God? What HE says counts?

I'm sorry, I can't see the picture you posted..I think my work filters are preventing it.

When the resolution of enslaving America was formed in Great Britain, the British Parliament was advised by an artful man, who was Governor of Pennsylvania, to disarm the people; that it was the best and most effectual way to enslave them; but that they should not do it openly, but weaken them, and let them sink gradually.". . . I ask, who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people, except a few public officers.
George Mason, Virginia's U.S. Constitution ratification convention, 1788

Probably because she lives in one of the reasonable countries.
England: According to the BBC News, handgun crime in the United Kingdom rose by 40% in the two years after it passed its draconian gun ban in 1997.

British citizens are now more likely to become a victim of crime than are people in the United States:

* In 1998, a study conducted jointly by statisticians from the U.S. Department of Justice and the University of Cambridge in England found that most crime is now worse in England than in the United States.

* "You are more likely to be mugged in England than in the United States," stated the Reuters news agency in summarizing the study. "The rate of robbery is now 1.4 times higher in England and Wales than in the United States, and the British burglary rate is nearly double America’s."(158) The murder rate in the United States is reportedly higher than in England, but according to the DOJ study, "the difference between the [murder rates in the] two countries has narrowed over the past 16 years.

Underreporting murder data: British crime reporting tactics keep murder rates artificially low. "Suppose that three men kill a woman during an argument outside a bar. They are arrested for murder, but because of problems with identification (the main witness is dead), charges are eventually dropped. In American crime statistics, the event counts as a three-person homicide, but in British statistics it counts as nothing at all. ‘With such differences in reporting criteria, comparisons of U.S. homicide rates with British homicide rates is a sham,’ [a 2000 report from the Inspectorate of Constabulary] concludes."

Here are a few posts collected by Texas friend Rusty Cates under the heading "Today in Responsible Gun Ownership":

July 24
Today in "Responsible Gun Ownership": A "Responsible Gun Owner" in Minnesota knows that with a gun, any dispute with you neighbor can be quickly resolved.
http://www.startribune.com/local/268354182.html

Charges: Bemidji man shot 17-year-old girl after she told him not to ride mower in her yard
www.startribune.com
BEMIDJI, Minn

July 7
Today in "Responsible Gun Ownership": On the first day of the new Guns Everywhere Law in Georgia one guy with a gun felt the need to pull his weapon on another guy with a gun while demanding to see his ID and Carry License (Something the law requires but prohibits anyone to demand.) Is this really what we have to look forward to in America?

“This is an example of my concern with the new gun law that people will take the law into their own hands which we will not tolerate,” Valdosta Police Chief Brian Childress said.

Now why would anyone be concerned that "Responsible Gun Owners" would take the law into their own hands. OH! SNAP! That why they carry guns in the first place!

http://www.valdostadailytimes.com/t...3358/First-day-of-new-gun-law-leads-to-arrest
-PAXP-deijE.gi

First day of new gun law leads to arrest
www.valdostadailytimes.com
On the first day of the new Georgia Safe Carry Protection Act, a misunderstanding between two armed men in a convenience store Tuesday led to a drawn

June 22
Today in "Responsible Gun Owners": An eight year old boy is dead, his family in mourning, a future lost forever because some "Responsible Gun Owner" thought is was a good idea to let him play with a fully automatic uzi. ""It's all legal & fun — No permits or licenses required!!!!" reads the ad, posted on the club's Web site.
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/27399337/...ccidentally-kills-self-gun-show/#.U6d_Q_ldWa9

Boy, 8, accidentally kills self at gun show
www.nbcnews.com
An 8-year-old boy died after accidentally shooting himself in the head while firing an Uzi submachine gun under adult supervision at a gun fair.

May 27
Today in "Responsible Gun Ownership": A three year old shot and killed his 18-month old brother because a "Responsible Gun Owner" couldn't be bothered to either unload or secure his gun.
http://www.azfamily.com/news/Toddle...ead-while-visiting-Payson-home-260825251.html
-PAXP-deijE.gif

Boy, 3, kills baby while playing with gun
www.azfamily.com
A toddler accidentally shot and killed his younger brother at a Payson apartment on Tuesday.

You get the picture.
http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/armed-citizen.aspx

August 14, 2014

Resident fights off crew of armed robbers, KDFW, Dallas, Texas, 08/08/14
Four men, at least some of whom were armed with guns, broke into an apartment in Garland, Texas. The resident responded by retrieving a gun and firing at the criminals, striking and killing one, and causing the rest to flee. Police suspect the deceased intruder also recently robbed a nearby convenience store.
FULL STORY

August 12, 2014

Woman defends herself from burglar, WTVD, Raleigh, N.C. 08/07/14
Paige Ham was inside her home in Goldsboro, N.C. when she noticed that the lock had been taken off a storage shed in her back yard. Ham retrieved a gun and went to investigate. While she was investigating, a man came out of the shed and moved towards her. Ham responded by shooting the burglar. According to news reports, the thief’s condition is not life-threatening. Additionally, Wayne County Sheriff’s officials have made clear that Ham will not be charged.
FULL STORY

August 8, 2014

80-year-old woman with revolver defends home, WTVT, Tampa Bay, Fla. 08/01/14
80-year-old NJ Logan was recovering from hip surgery at home in Holmes Beach, Fla. when she became aware of an intrusion. Logan responded by retrieving a revolver, calling 9-1-1, and warning the intruder. According to Logan, while on the phone with police, she was told to “put the gun down,” to which she replied, “I’ll put the gun down when I see the police.” The intruder left the home without a direct confrontation. Following the incident, Logan told a local media outlet, “I believe in guns inside your house, because I don't think anybody has the right to break into your private domain. I'll definitely have the gun up there that is for sure.”
FULL STORY

July 29, 2014

Armed doctor halts hospital shooting, The Philadelphia Inquirer, Philadelphia, Pa. 07/27/14
A psychiatric patient armed with a revolver and several rounds of ammunition entered Mercy Fitzgerald Hospital in Darby, Pa. for a scheduled appointment. The patient then proceeded to fire upon hospital staff, killing one woman and wounding Dr. Lee Silverman. Silverman responded to the rampage by retrieving a pistol and firing at the patient. Three of Silverman’s shot struck the patient which allowed for other hospital employees to detain the killer. Following the incident, Silverman has been hailed as a hero. Delaware County District Attorney Jack Whelan stated, “If Dr. Silverman did not have the firearm and did not utilize the firearm, he’s be dead today… and other people would be dead.”
FULL STORY

July 25, 2014

Homeowner fights off burglar, WRTV, Indianapolis, Ind. 07/22/14
A man arrived at his Indianapolis home, noticed that the house had been disturbed, and heard a suspicious noise coming from the second floor. The homeowner retrieved a gun, went to investigate, and discovered a burglar. The homeowner shot the criminal, prompting him to flee. Police captured the intruder a short time later.
FULL STORY

July 22, 2014

Armed citizen saves man from attacking pit bulls, TMJ4, Milwaukee, Wisc. 07/21/14
A man was walking his dog in Washington County, Wisc. when a group of three pit bulls got out of their yard and began attacking him. Neighbor Dennis Williams noticed the altercation, retrieved two baseball bats and went to the man’s defense. When the bats weren’t enough to deter the dogs, Williams retrieved a revolver and shot and killed one of the dogs, prompting the others to cease their attack.
FULL STORY

July 18, 2014

Woman halts carjacking, The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, Milwaukee, Wisc. 07/12/14
Victoria Davison had just parked her vehicle in Milwaukee, Wisc. when a pair of criminals approached and ordered her to hand over her car keys. Then one of the men said, “Go get the cannon,” which prompted Davison to act. Fearing for her life, Davison, a Right-to-Carry permit holder, retrieved a gun and fired at the criminals, striking one of the robbers. Police eventually captured both of the criminals, whom they believe are linked to other crimes in the area.
FULL STORY

July 17, 2014

Armed good Samaritan comes to the aid of stabbing victim, MyFOXOrlando, Orlando, Fla. 07/16/14, The Orlando Sentinel, Orlando, Fla. 07/16/14
64-year-old Donald Sacco was waiting at a bus stop in Orlando, Fla. when a man armed with a knife approached, attempted to steal Sacco’s property, and began stabbing him. A passerby in a vehicle spotted the attack, retrieved a gun, and rushed to Sacco’s aid. The armed citizen ordered the criminal to halt his attack and held him at gunpoint until police could arrive. A former paramedic was also on the scene and rushed to help Sacco, who is reportedly in stable condition. Local media are referring to the passersby as “good Samaritans.”
FULL STORY

June 26, 2014

Motel guest shoots armed robber, The Clarion Ledger, Jackson, Miss. 06/20/14
An armed citizen was outside a Motel 6 in Jackson, Miss. when a man approached and asked for a cigarette. When the armed citizen declined the man, the man drew a gun and stated “Betcha ain’t got one of these.” The armed citizen responded by drawing his own gun and firing at the robber, striking him in the chest and causing him to flee. The criminal was discovered a short time later while seeking medical attention.
FULL STORY

June 24, 2014

Store owner fells robber armed with knife, The Philadelphia Inquirer, Philadelphia, Pa. 06/23/14
Owner Sharon Doyle was working the counter of Stan’s Health Foods in Philadelphia, Pa. when a knife-wielding man entered the store and broke into the cash register. Doyle, a former police officer, responded to the threat by drawing a gun and firing at the criminal. The thief was struck in the chest, and died a short time later.
FULL STORY

June 20, 2014

Clerk is suspended after defending himself, The Rutland Herald, Rutland, Vt., 06/17/14
Vietnam veteran Don Pitaniello was working clerking at Mac’s Convenience Store in Rutland, Vt. when a masked man armed with a knife entered and demanded the money in the cash register. Pitaniello responded to the threat by drawing a .380-caliber pistol and telling the thief to get out. The robber complied and fled the store. Unfortunately, Pitaniello violated store policy regarding carrying firearms while on duty, and has been suspended as a result. Following the incident, Pitaniello told a local news outlet, “The store has been robbed eight or nine times and I always work nights… I’m a firm believer in having a gun and not needing it rather than the other way around. I can always find a new job.”
FULL STORY

June 19, 2014

Shop owner holds intruder for police, Valley News Live, Fargo, N.D. 06/16/14
Kert and VeAnn Wright where inside their home, which is in the downstairs of a consignment shop they own, when they heard a suspicious noise. Armed with a .22-caliber pistol, Kert went to investigate and happened upon a burglar inside the store. Kert forced the intruder to the floor and held him at gunpoint until police could arrive.
FULL STORY

June 13, 2014

Parents defend daughter during violent home invasion, The St. Louis Post-Dispatch, St. Louis, Mo. 06/11/14
A teenager was outside her home in St. Louis, Mo. when two armed men came up to her and forced her inside her home at gunpoint. The teenager’s parents were inside the home at the time, and both parents responded by retrieving firearms. The teenager’s father fired at the home invaders, killing one and wounding the other. The injured criminal fled, but was captured by police a short time later. The surviving home invader has been charged with murder, in the death of his accomplice, burglary, and kidnapping.
FULL STORY

June 11, 2014

Resident halts burglary, Mlive, Michigan, 06/05/14
Mark A. Blehm arrived at his home in Gibson Township, Mich., found one of his screen windows broken into and an ATV outside the house. In response, Blehm retrieved a shotgun, positioned himself on the ATV and yelled to the criminal inside his house. After Blehm fired a shot into the air, the intruder eventually left the house. Police captured the intruder outside Blehm’s home shortly thereafter.
FULL STORY

June 6, 2014

22-year-old woman scares off mace-wielding robber, KCCI, Des Moines, Iowa 05/23/14
22-year-old Jessica McDonald, an employee of Discount Textbooks in Fort Dodge, Iowa, had just opened up the store when a man entered and demanded that she hand over the cash in the register. McDonald responded by showing the robber that the register was empty, at which point the man threatened her with mace. Following the threat, McDonald retrieved a handgun from a safe under the counter and pointed it at the criminal, causing him to flee. Store Manager Paul Tigges told a local media outlet that the pistol is kept under the counter for employees to use. In an interview after the incident, McDonald told the media outlet, “It was shocking to me when I started here that there is a gun and I always thought it was over the top and we didn’t need it, but I’m very glad that we have it.”
FULL STORY

June 5, 2014

College student defends housemate from robber, (NBC Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pa. 06/04/14, WPVI, Philadelphia, Pa. 06/04/14)
Around 7:00 a.m. a burglar broke into a home inhabited by several college students in Philadelphia, Pa. The intruder got into a struggle with one of the residents, at which point another of the home’s inhabitants retrieved a gun and shot the criminal. Upon being shot, the home invader fled the house, but collapsed nearby. The burglar was taken to a hospital where he is reported to be in stable condition.
FULL STORY

June 2, 2014

Homeowner frightens off armed home invaders, KSL, Salt Lake City, Utah 05/27/14
A pair of men, at least one of whom was armed with a handgun, broke into a home in Salt Lake City, Utah and began threatening those inside. Earlier in the day, the duo threatened the homeowner’s daughter over the phone. The homeowner responded to the break in by retrieving a handgun and confronting the men, causing the intruders to flee. The home invaders were captured by police a short time later. Following the incident, Salt Lake City Police Detective Veronica Montoya told a local media outlet, “I think the two suspects are very lucky they weren’t hurt, because I think most people would agree if somebody comes kicking your door in and is armed and you’re armed – I’m really surprised he didn’t hurt them.”
FULL STORY

May 30, 2014

May 29, 2014

Convenience store clerk shoots armed robber, WKBN, Youngstown, Ohio, May 22, 2014
Two men, one of whom was armed with a rifle, entered Sami Quick Stop in Youngstown, Ohio and attempted to rob the store. The clerk on duty retrieved a gun and fired it at the criminals, striking one and causing both to flee. Police captured the robbers a short time later. A local media outlet has reported that the police have called the shooting justified.
FULL STORY

May 23, 2014

Man defends himself against armed robber in parking lot, KPRC, Houston, Texas 05/22/14
While walking through the parking lot of an apartment complex in Houston, Texas a man was confronted by an armed robber who demanded his belongings. The man responded by drawing a gun and shooting the robber twice, causing the thief to flee. Police captured the criminal a short time later at a local hospital.
FULL STORY

May 15, 2014

Elderly man fells intruder, The St. Louis Post-Dispatch, St. Louis, Mo. 05/08/14, KTVI, St. Louis, Mo. 05/08/14
An elderly resident of St. Clair County, Ill. was inside his home when he heard the sound of breaking glass. The homeowner called police, retrieved a pistol and went to investigate. Upon discovering the intruder, the homeowner shot the criminal once. The intruder fled, but collapsed and died in the home’s driveway.
FULL STORY

Yet another example of a "responsible gun owner" making a HUGE mistake. My opinion is that having a gun makes lots of people act more quickly than they would if they had to harm someone in another/more direct way, often times jumping the gun (pun intended) and not fully thinking of the consequences of pulling that trigger before actually doing it.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...oots-daughter-mistaken-for-intruder/14086355/

My father and his brothers all owned many guns, all fully loaded in their hiding places. None of them ever had to use them. None of their guns were ever stolen.

My father and his brothers all owned many guns, all fully loaded in their hiding places. None of them ever had to use them. None of their guns were ever stolen.
My father as well, all securely locked, probably to the point of being somewhat inaccessible in a real emergency. Not saying that everyone is trigger happy, I just feel like I hear about these types of things too often. Or people who feel "threatened" and shoot before really thinking - off the top of my head I'm thinking of George Zimmerman and the white guy that killed the black woman whose car broke down and knocked on his door for help.

Latest posts

Back