Post-Surgery Exercise: Protein Absorption and Weight Training

Dave0168

I haven't been able to find any good information about weight training after a malabsorptive procedure such as the DS or RNY.

In the past three months I've really gotten into weight training along with cardio in a attempt to minimize the loose skin I hope I don't get post procedure. Prior to starting my journey I never did any additional exercise outside of my work which is pretty active during the day (I'm a contractor). Now I get cardio 6x per week with 4 days of weight training and don't want to lose the ability to maintain that schedule after surgery.

My concern relates to the increased protein requirements (above the 90 to 100g/day) needed to build muscle and reduced absorption. I'm by no means looking to become the next Mr. Olympia but would like to be able to continue to add and develop muscle and strength after I can start weight training after my surgery.

Is there anyone here who has followed a similar path after surgery and can offer some insight?

Have you read up on keto for athletes? A good author is Lyle McDonald. He gives some solid references in his work. As you read, keep in mind your malabsorption and Im sure you will figure out a plan that helps you increase muscle.

Nothing you do is going to affect how your skin looks, other than the shape of your musculature UNDER your skin.

Nothing you do is going to affect how your skin looks, other than the shape of your musculature UNDER your skin.
What she said. There is no element of skin that can be influenced one way or another by exercise. The good news is that skin does continue to shrink V E R Y slowly for about 2 years after massive weightloss.

I know I won't be able to avoid loose skin altogether but I was hoping to minimize it as much as possible.

More importantly I am still concerned about absorbing enough protein to build muscle, not just maintain.

Have you read up on keto for athletes? A good author is Lyle McDonald. He gives some solid references in his work. As you read, keep in mind your malabsorption and Im sure you will figure out a plan that helps you increase muscle.

Any book in particular? I see he has several published. The two that look applicable are The Protein Book and The Ketogenic Diet

Hi Dave, I do not consider myself an expert on the DS by any stretch, but, I do have some expertise with working with bodybuilders and building muscle. Most of it was from the early to mid 90’s and I worked directly with Mr. Lee Labrada, (IFBB Mr. Universe and 4 time runner up Mr. Olympian) and am actually in one of his first books called “Get Lean” and am on page 10…..lol. I was not the big muscle builder type like him of course, but same concepts.

As you know, it is all about protein ingested and almost as importantly WHEN. The timing dynamics and absorptions for peak absorbment have changed a lot in the 20 yrs since I’ve been away, BUT, I do know that the Isolate proteins absorb VERY quickly and have a high concentration of branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs) which are highly concentrated in muscle tissue, and are used to fuel working muscles and stimulate protein synthesis, and are what most of the muscle builders are using to get the protein in there more quickly to repair that tore down muscle and promote to re-build it even larger.

Again, I would think you can learn all the latest from those bodybuilding websites, magazines, books etc and then it should be 100% applicable just the same for a DS patient, only X 2 (twice the amount of protein ingestion needed) which means you better learn to fall madly in love with the various protein drinks.:D

Thanks Rob, that's the kind of info I'm looking for. I know it's all about the protein, esp isolates. And as far as falling in love with them, I'm using whey isolate now and look forward to the shakes every day, almost like having desert!

It makes sense that a DR'er would simply need to double the intake. I suppose it boils down to seeing what works and tweaking it as needed, after all, we still digest food, we just don't get as much out of it as everyone else does.

Thanks Rob, that's the kind of info I'm looking for. I know it's all about the protein, esp isolates. And as far as falling in love with them, I'm using whey isolate now and look forward to the shakes every day, almost like having desert!

What kinds of shake are you using that you like that much? I'm still having a GD horrible time finding one that I can't stand? They put too much stevia or sweetener in most of them for me? I've really spent a lot of effort and money on this quest?

I've been using Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey Isolate from Costco. Initially I didn't really like them with water so I used skim milk but now like them either way. I also found a site with great ways to turn the simple vanilla and chocolate shakes into things like banana bread, carrot cake, butterscotch and PB&J smoothies just to name a few! (can we post links here?)

That being said, I am pre-op and I understand tastes may change post surgery. I'm hoping that mine don't for too many things, protein shakes being one of them. I started 3 months ago on them in preparation for life post surgery and will have at least 1 every day.

Have your tastes for certain foods changed since your surgery?

I really appreciate this thread because I have lost 207 lbs since May 8th...but a TON of muscle mass as well! I was a fairly rugged guy in my day, and was prior to surgery, but I now have a very wasted look. My legs are really weakened as is my upper body and arms. I bought some weights but honestly haven't used them yet. I really want to add muscle mass soon and appreciate any specific insights you guys could share. Trust me....don't let yaself lose too much muscle mass after your surgery! As for skin...my saggiest skin is lower abdomen, obviously, but 2nd is tricep areas where my muscles have shrunk to nada. I think by adding muscle mass I will fill that void to a large degree, and thus reduce saggage there.

Have your tastes for certain foods changed since your surgery?

Is a pigs ass pork?....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:, OMG, Not only have they changed, but they can change for me hourly or even by the minute!! I used to LIVE on grilled chicken, now I can’t stand the thought of it ever!! For a while it was meat in general (which really sucks) because that’s supposed to be the “golden ticket” reward for us DS’r “Carnivores”, right!

I have spent an hour or two cooking and preparing this food or that food after having a craving for it and then go to sit down to eat and the thought of eating it literally makes me nauseous and I don’t eat it. That being said, most everyone says it’s probably temporary and with time should pass. It is getting better every week I think. Foods that I never developed this “aversion” to are red meat and grilled fish, shrimp etc. Just can’t eat chicken, ham or sausage. Bacon is half and half, so are eggs and cheese.

Pre-op, the shakes didn’t bother me, but it’s not the same for me post-op either. The best part of my whole day litterally is when I finish the last drink and I try to get that done first thing in the morning.

Is a pigs ass pork?....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:, OMG, Not only have they changed, but they can change for me hourly or even by the minute!! I used to LIVE on grilled chicken, now I can’t stand the thought of it ever!! For a while it was meat in general (which really sucks) because that’s supposed to be the “golden ticket” reward for us DS’r “Carnivores”, right!

I have spent an hour or two cooking and preparing this food or that food after having a craving for it and then go to sit down to eat and the thought of eating it literally makes me nauseous and I don’t eat it. That being said, most everyone says it’s probably temporary and with time should pass. It is getting better every week I think. Foods that I never developed this “aversion” to are red meat and grilled fish, shrimp etc. Just can’t eat chicken, ham or sausage. Bacon is half and half, so are eggs and cheese.

Pre-op, the shakes didn’t bother me, but it’s not the same for me post-op either. The best part of my whole day litterally is when I finish the last drink and I try to get that done first thing in the morning.

WOW, that sounds tough. I hope things get better for you as you get further along. I know I'll be in a world of shit if I experience huge taste changes like this after surgery and have to forego chicken (a staple for me) and choke down my protein shakes.

How do you make your protein goals with such limited choices?

Last edited:
I really appreciate this thread because I have lost 207 lbs since May 8th...but a TON of muscle mass as well! I was a fairly rugged guy in my day, and was prior to surgery, but I now have a very wasted look. My legs are really weakened as is my upper body and arms. I bought some weights but honestly haven't used them yet. I really want to add muscle mass soon and appreciate any specific insights you guys could share. Trust me....don't let yaself lose too much muscle mass after your surgery! As for skin...my saggiest skin is lower abdomen, obviously, but 2nd is tricep areas where my muscles have shrunk to nada. I think by adding muscle mass I will fill that void to a large degree, and thus reduce saggage there.

Hey Will,
Post-surgery muscle loss is one of the top things that worries me. I too would consider myself a rugged individual. I've got good leg muscle development (genetics and carrying extra weight) and am pretty strong upper body too.

Do you think that what you've experienced is from a lack of protein? What I've read on weight loss (Non-bariatric surgery W/L) and muscle mass is concentrate on protein. For us this is a no brainer but maybe we need double the 90 to 100 g/day I've seen as the norm.

I'm going to have the hardest time laying off weight training for several weeks during recovery. Right now I'm taking advantage of every chance I can get to weight train and will probably even lift the day before my surgery.

I think what I will do once I can start lifting again is try and double my protein intake to see if I can at least maintain the muscle mass I have. There doesn't seem to be any info out there from any bariatric patients relating to weight training and building muscle mass. I'll make sure I keep everyone who's interested up to date on what I try and the results I get.

As much as I want to lose the weight, I don't want to lose the muscle I've already got!

Latest posts

Back