Post Op diet issues.

CaraOC

Credentialed Bitch
I'm sorry if I'm bitchin too much, but I'm new, 8 days post op. I'm having one kitchen disaster after another and I'm spending a damn fortune trying stuff. Protein powder it would appear is a law unto itself. I have found that mixing a scoop of beneprotein into chicken broth makes a fake cream of chicken soup and it might be the drugs but it tastes pretty good. Isopure clear juice stuff tastes disgusting I've discovered and since I've bought a crate of it I used it to make up some sugar free jello. It's setting. But it cannot possibly taste worse. I need some tips and tricks. I'm reading stuff and I'm having a few concerns. Namely that I'm sitting here slipping into a dehydrated malnutrition state as my hair falls out in handfuls. Yes I might be dramatic. I'm down 20 lbs in 8 days, but surely that's water and that huge chunk of stomach and crapband I had ripped out???

It is water weight. The band and stomach weigh next to nothing. That being said you will see the weight fly off.

You aren't going in to malnutrition as your body has all kinds of stores and what your key has to be now is staying hydrated. 64 Oz of liquid minimum daily.

Protein goal remember this s: 30-60-90 rule. Target is to get 30g protein daily at 30 days, 60g at 60 days and 90 at 90.

I think I advised in another thread you started to not by a bunch of protein powder, food or drinks because chances are they will taste like shit. By a bottlle or two of drink, or a packet of protein mix if you can until you find something you like.

One of the mysteries of the DS is that you can survive on a paltry 350 calories a day for the first month and not be unconscious with starvation. Try not to freak out about it.

You will lose some hair 3.5-4 months post op. There is nothing you can do to prevent it so don't dwell on it. Sometimes it falls out all at once, sometimes it falls out over a few months. New hairs will begin to grow in immediately. And you may be the 1 in a 100 who does not notice hair loss but don't bet on it.

I have a cupboard full of $250 of Unjury chocolate, chicken and unflavored (ha). I hate it all. Try Premier Protein RTD from Costco.

Having had the sleeve, and awaiting my DS, the important thing is to not get dehydrated. Protein is good but at 8 days out it might still be a struggle. Just take it one day at a time!

One of the mysteries of the DS is that you can survive on a paltry 350 calories a day for the first month and not be unconscious with starvation. Try not to freak out about it.

You will lose some hair 3.5-4 months post op. There is nothing you can do to prevent it so don't dwell on it. Sometimes it falls out all at once, sometimes it falls out over a few months. New hairs will begin to grow in immediately. And you may be the 1 in a 100 who does not notice hair loss but don't bet on it.

I have a cupboard full of $250 of Unjury chocolate, chicken and unflavored (ha). I hate it all. Try Premier Protein RTD from Costco.

This week I went to the hairdresser to get a bit of color and a haircut. Imagine how great I felt when she said my hair was "crazy thin" ... yeah, wonderful. I haven't noticed it growing back in either. Ahh well, I do have my plan of action: clipper cut it to about 1/2" and just wear a wig. I like wigs so that would be a great excuse to get some... LOL

I was fortunate in that I liked the same protein before and after surgery (Pure Protein in chocolate and vanilla), but I got rather sick of flavored protein so I don't buy any of that anymore. I have found that I tolerate the Isopure unflavored well and it can go into just about everything so I use only that. I can't stand the thought of shakes this time of year (too cold!) but I put it in my coffee and if I'm a bit low on protein for the day, I'll plop some in some greek yogurt and call it good.

And OMG I hate Premier Protein RTD! They have it at school and I get some if I've forgotten to pack snacks and such, but I really hate the taste. I find it so disgusting! But like everything else YMMV.

Sweetheart, you are only EIGHT days out, you are doing great and have NOTHING to worry about as best I can tell. You shouldn’t even be that concerned yet about nutrition or shakes of any kind, Do them if you can, BUT, water, Gatorade, broth, etc HYDRATION should be your primary concern. When you do start more shakes and pureed food on week 2-3, The key words here are…Flexibility and Adaptation. One of the BIGGEST surprises, (maybe the biggest), I have had in all this is how my taste buds changed, kept changing and are still changing even at one year out. Hell, they even change hourly sometimes. Sometimes I will be cooking a meal and then go to eat it and actually get nauseous at the thought of eating it…so again, you ALWAYS have to have several back up sources of protein to rely on and be ready to switch at a moment’s notice. SO, be prepared to be frustrated and you WILL waste a fair amount of food and money and time for the shopping and prep, just to throw it away. That being said, it really has gotten better and better and I have evolved and learned along the way in conjunction with my “Buds” getting better with time, so…it DOES get better and better and better!

I didn't start losing hair till about 3 months post op. Then, I lost a ton for about 3 months. I am 2 years out now, it has all grown back in. Just worry about something you can drink for a few more days. Relax, you are going to be fine.

I didn't lose hair, namely because I went balls to wall and had a severe undercut (shaved under) and fairly short on top. Im glad I did as holy lord me an anaesthetic do not get along and I was out for 6 bloody days lol. I cannot imagine how bad my hair would have been had I not gone all punk before hand.

I didn't lose hair post sleeve but that is likely because I have a sleeve the size of california and could eat a fair amount of protein straight away.

All I can say is, it does get better :) This will all be a distant memory at your one year surgiversary :)

To give you an idea of what I did.... here it is:

Nearly 2 years out and my hair is one length (except front) and down to my shoulder blades...and it grows SLOW!

Attachments

• 1609656_10151868773762676_1509924053_n.jpg
    1609656_10151868773762676_1509924053_n.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 10

Latest posts

Back