Orthostatic Hypotension Post-Surgery?

more2adore

So I've been feeling mildly dizzy whenever I'm standing and walking around since surgery. I'm still able to get around - but I have to be very aware of placing my feet, etc. to ensure I don't trip because of it. My endo took my blood pressure sitting today - 115/80. Then she had me stand - and as soon as I did my BP started dropping. Is this something that happens to everyone post-surgery? When I first got home I also had shortness of breath (though that's getting better) and occasional heart pounding (completely better now). My endo is going to monitor this (I see her again in 4 weeks), and she told me to call her RIGHT AWAY if it got worse.

I'm hoping this is normal and will go away as I fully heal. Or maybe when I start pureed foods tomorrow or something.

Did you have high normal or high BP pre-op? Are you on any medications for BP?

Think about this...your body has been "reset" and is adjusting to it's new normal. And it may take a couple of months to figure itself out. Just be VERY aware, stand up slowly, and keep an eye on it.

Oh my YES. Now that I'm a number of years out, it's not nearly as bad, but I consume caffeine and sodium with abandon (and with my doctor's blessing) to keep my BP up. During those first months, maybe even the first year, I learned to never stand up without guaranteeing the ability to sit right back down.

Latest posts

Back