On the Losers' Bench with Questions on Stomach Healing

Bywater

I'm a week out now from my Revision to the DS.

I see all sorts of varying opinions on when it is safe for the stomach to experience real food. What's the official word?

What did your surgeon say?
WHY did s/he say that?
Did you have a Valtrac ring used to make the anastomosis?
From what surgery did you have your revision?

PS: it's LOSER not LOOSER

Diana,

He said two weeks.

It's his standard policy

No clue on the Valtrek Ring. I know my stomach is 4 oz and I have a 100 cm common channel.

And it was a lapband to DS.

And, my pants are definitely LOOSER

Chevtow,

I'm worried that the sutures won't be fully healed by then. I'm sutured, not stapled.

And, my pants are definitely LOOSER
:thumbsup:

your stomach has a long staple line and a lot of swelling - go at least as slowly as your surgeon says to. how are you feeling?

congratulations on your revision!

I'm worried that the sutures won't be fully healed by then. I'm sutured, not stapled.

either way (and I assumed all stomachs were stapled from the videos I've seen ??? ) the real healing is the scar tissue that forms and seals it all up. and to digest solid food a stomach needs to "churn" which breaks those tissues. is how it was explained to me!

anyway, be careful.

:welcomeboard:@Bywater and congrats on your revision.

Your suture line, while it might be healed enough, is still probably very angry! I would follow as much of your surgeon's plan as it agrees with!

Each person's surgeon will give different instructions. That's why you see different instructions on a forum.

My husband was started soft foods before he even left the hospital.

Liz

I was eating "foodish" things (cream of wheat? some sort of pureed soft cereal) in the hospital. But the Valtrac ring usually has a proscription against real food (beyond pureed) for three weeks, so you probably don't have one.

You're almost there anyway - may as well wait to two weeks. Or just call the surgeon's office and ask if you can have pureed food, and if not, why not.

I started soft solids, like a very soft egg, about ten days out. Once you are cleated to progress, do it slowly and with tiny bites.

Just got back from the follow up - 17.5 lbs lost.

All eight incisions looked good. The end of the week I can start advancing to purees...but, I can't go further than that because I have to see his nut. Can we say Bywater will smile and nod a lot?

I got the operative report. No Valtek ring and turns out my CC is 150 cm, not 100. And, this afternoon I saw my soon-to-be-ex PCP. And drew basic labs, she argued that her other DS patients didn't need all that lab work. Same with the letter to my insurance company. Letter was sent though with a "this is a worst case scenario" explanation as opposed to 'daily regimen'

I'll find a new PCP after Christmas and I'm going to be looking for one who actually will listen and take the time to understand why I need what I need.

Latest posts

Back