Now I've Done It!

BebeZed

I've been chirping at my youngest son to move my treadmill in from the cold, damp and funky smelling storage area to somewhere inside the house. Well tonight he actually moved it into my living room and put it in a prime tv-viewing spot.

Now I've done it... there goes my last excuse for not using the treadmill as a glorified coat & garment rack ;)

Good for you! I put a board across the arms of mine to hold my laptop or a book -- on slow speed I can type and read. (Not for aerobic exercise, just to keep me moving.) I rigged up a similar system for my recumbent stationary bike, but because it isn;t motorized like a treadmill, I'd subconsciously stop pedaling when I got focused on typing or reading.

Hehe... no excuses! I was finally cleared to dance again and did yoga Sunday and two dance classes yesterday. The back of my legs and shoulder blades are screaming, but all I can hear is the fat falling off (hopefully).

At mom's house there's darn there a gym. Treadmill and pilates machine, bands, balls ankle and wrist weights if, any one in this house has touched them to use them so has the president. Lol

Last edited:
At mom's house there's darn there a gym. Treadmill and pirates machine, bands, balls ankle and wrist weights if, any one in this house has touched them to use them so has the president. Lol

It's the "build it and they will come" exercise philosophy.

I like this "no more excuses" thread. :) I recently did away with mine, too. I had previously only been up to getting my steps in the 4 days a week or so I had errands/appointments in the city. I would just go to those appointments - walking to the train station, switching trains, walking to the bus stop, then from the bus stop to the appointment location and then doing it all in reverse was the first exercise I really got (I averaged about 2,000 steps that way, which was a lot for me at the time!). Then I started getting off the bus a stop or two ahead of where I needed to be to get some extra walking in. Then I started walking instead of taking the bus if it was a manageable distance (3-4,000 steps, average). Then recently (about a month ago) I realized that, hey, there's a park really close to our apartment. We've lived here a year, and I'm only just now realizing that, heh. To be fair it's just recently turned to spring here, so it's much better weather for getting out and walking! So now that I know about this park, any day when I don't have errands in the city (and it's not pouring down rain outside) I go to the park and walk around the perimeter (and I "power walk" the uphill section - really hard for me, but good!). I'm averaging more like 6,000-7,000 steps now on a busy day... I'll keep pushing myself, but for now I'm pretty proud of how I'm doing! :)

I'm taking it real easy - this ol' gal is really out of shape and I'm having lung issues again (may be related to the ankle/leg edema but I hope not!) but I'm doing it. Not enough to make a huge difference right now, but enough to get me started, which is way better than just making excuses. I'll be able to increase as I'm able :)

So I officially got 20 minutes in, got the ol' heart rate up and actually somewhat enjoyed it. It just isn't as odious as I thought it would be. Now if only I could get the dog on it with me... we BOTH need the workout LOL

Many communities senior centers have Silver Sneaker programs for 55+ Very cheap or free depending on age, income. They are what you make them. Some are chair exercising and never do floor work. All use stretch band or free weights. When you need to start slow for whatever reason, these classes are great. Then move on to regular classes when you're stronger

Many communities senior centers have Silver Sneaker programs for 55+ Very cheap or free depending on age, income. They are what you make them. Some are chair exercising and never do floor work. All use stretch band or free weights. When you need to start slow for whatever reason, these classes are great. Then move on to regular classes when you're stronger

That's an excellent idea! I never even thought of that because TBH I get startled when I realize that I'm now a "senior citizen" by some definitions (I'll be 59 on Christmas). I just checked and they have the program in varying degrees here but most are at fairly expensive gyms. One is at the YMCA (I didn't know they had TWO in this town! ) and that would probably be quite affordable. There are a couple of other at seniors apartments and the like to check out too.

I have stretch bands that I need to start using again. I was all gung ho on that before but kind of fell off the wagon. Now that I'm doing the treadmill daily, it's a good time to start that too. :)

LMAO I wish! :D
I do look quite a bit younger than I actually am but I expect that to change as the fat stops filling up all the wrinkles ;)
I thought I looked older once I lost the fat in my face. Lots of wrinkles/gaunt looking (esp at my lowest weight), etc but things have adjusted.

I've been told by total strangers that I look like I am in my early to mid 50's (I am 61).

Latest posts

Back