Not going Back, but need Info

Beckmo

My inner child CRAVES chocolate!
On my last visit to the surgeon's office at 9 months post-op, all the P.A. talked about was counting my calories and if I didn't keep them at 1500, I would be the 6th person to gain all my weight back after a revision surgery from RNY to DS. I got that lecture for 15 mins solid. I got maybe 2-3 mins of him going over my labs to say my vitamin D was a little low. I am DONE. I am NOT going back to them. Lectures like that are what made me Fat in the first place!
My questions are:
What labs are essential for my PCP to run to keep track of me?
How do I find out what the normal range is for me as a bariatric patient?
How often after 1 year do I need to have the labs taken?
P.A. said that's ridiculous about the percentages of how we absorb fats or carbs, etc. He said we (DS) absorb everything just the same as everyone else.
Your wise information will be much appreciated! Thanks!

On my last visit to the surgeon's office at 9 months post-op, all the P.A. talked about was counting my calories and if I didn't keep them at 1500, I would be the 6th person to gain all my weight back after a revision surgery from RNY to DS. I got that lecture for 15 mins solid. I got maybe 2-3 mins of him going over my labs to say my vitamin D was a little low. I am DONE. I am NOT going back to them. Lectures like that are what made me Fat in the first place!
My questions are:
What labs are essential for my PCP to run to keep track of me?
How do I find out what the normal range is for me as a bariatric patient?
How often after 1 year do I need to have the labs taken?
P.A. said that's ridiculous about the percentages of how we absorb fats or carbs, etc. He said we (DS) absorb everything just the same as everyone else.
Your wise information will be much appreciated! Thanks!
1) http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/generic-ds-lab-order.191/
2) Need to aim for middle to high normal EXCEPT for B6 and PTH, those need to be low normal. http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/vitalady-links.11/
3) *I* get mine done twice a year as I have been known to tank in iron fairly quickly. But it depends on how often you can get your insurance to pay for them. Minimum is once a year.
4) P.A. is an idiot.

Uh, then why would we bother having bowel resection??? It's not just that he's an idiot, he's DANGEROUS.

I am concerned that he says there are 6 revisions from RNY to DS who have regained all their weight. That shouldn;t happen wth a DS. Are you sure you got an RNY revision to a real DS?

Uh, then why would we bother having bowel resection??? It's not just that he's an idiot, he's DANGEROUS.

I am concerned that he says there are 6 revisions from RNY to DS who have regained all their weight. That shouldn;t happen wth a DS. Are you sure you got an RNY revision to a real DS?

Yes. This. ^^^^^^

I don't see how 6 people who got a real RNY->DS revision could have re-gained. Unless there's a boatload of revisions being conducted there, that office must have a terrible regain rate.

Yet another reason we try to talk people out of using Juarez - the death of Stephanie O was just the start. He is NOT a vetted DS surgeon.

The PA is worse than an idiot - s/he is dangerously misinformed, and dispensing harmful and incorrect medical advice.

Thank you for all your help. Yes, you are right. I will not go back there. EVER.
I appreciate the help with the bloodworm and stats.
Yeah, P.A. didn't want me to be the 6th person... I can't imagine 5 gaining all their weight back. He was just an angry guy.
That is what I told him too... if I have 2 feet of Common channel then how do I digest food the same as everyone else... why do the surgery??
Done... just done!

That's exactly what I was thinking. If we (and people with gastric bypass) absorb just like everyone else, there would be no reason to ever to either operation. Just do something restrictive and hope for the best, right? Wrong! And this person works with a bariatric surgeon practice. That's both bad and sad.
And if a bunch of their patients are regaining all their weight after such a high risk operation as RNY to DS revision, either there is no reason to ever put patients to this risk, or they're doing something wrong. No surgeon has a 100% success rate, but that's nuts.

Well @Beckmo at least he was willing to revise you to a DS. He did my distal RNY in 2000. When I went back because I was still unable to eat an ounce or 2 and could eat no meat unless is was ground in sauce. He told me no way in the world would he do it go find another doctor. So when I did and got approved with Dr.K they told the insurance company that the request in California was insurance fraud! Then his rep. Called me pissed off basically saying that they got me approved for a revision and after all their hard work I went someone else. I told her I wanted a DS and she said well that was the plan a 2 step DS. I then reminded her of Juarez's exact words to me and told her I had to go. I can't even believe I had planned on letting him do a surgery on me that he told me I would not loose weight with. But it would get rid of the horrible dumping. My mom had turned him into the board for some fowl stuff he did to her twin as his patient. So before my mom passed she pleaded with me not to go back to him and called him a damn butcher.

It's so sad because when I first went to him in 2000 he was the best. There were only 3 doctors doing wls in AZ. Him, Newhoff at Mayo, and someone else. I guess all the drugs he did fried his brain. My God time and drugs have not been good to him he was a very handsome man 15 years ago he now looks 30 years older instead of 16. People of color hold their age pretty good but his face looks like a united States map with so many wrinkles. I couldn't believe it was him!

That's exactly what I was thinking. If we (and people with gastric bypass) absorb just like everyone else, there would be no reason to ever to either operation. Just do something restrictive and hope for the best, right? Wrong! And this person works with a bariatric surgeon practice. That's both bad and sad.
And if a bunch of their patients are regaining all their weight after such a high risk operation as RNY to DS revision, either there is no reason to ever put patients to this risk, or they're doing something wrong. No surgeon has a 100% success rate, but that's nuts.
This! And just feel sorry for all the other sheeple being misled by this midget intellect!

Well @Beckmo at least he was willing to revise you to a DS. He did my distal RNY in 2000. When I went back because I was still unable to eat an ounce or 2 and could eat no meat unless is was ground in sauce. He told me no way in the world would he do it go find another doctor. So when I did and got approved with Dr.K they told the insurance company that the request in California was insurance fraud! Then his rep. Called me pissed off basically saying that they got me approved for a revision and after all their hard work I went someone else. I told her I wanted a DS and she said well that was the plan a 2 step DS. I then reminded her of Juarez's exact words to me and told her I had to go. I can't even believe I had planned on letting him do a surgery on me that he told me I would not loose weight with. But it would get rid of the horrible dumping. My mom had turned him into the board for some fowl stuff he did to her twin as his patient. So before my mom passed she pleaded with me not to go back to him and called him a damn butcher.

It's so sad because when I first went to him in 2000 he was the best. There were only 3 doctors doing wls in AZ. Him, Newhoff at Mayo, and someone else. I guess all the drugs he did fried his brain. My God time and drugs have not been good to him he was a very handsome man 15 years ago he now looks 30 years older instead of 16. People of color hold their age pretty good but his face looks like a united States map with so many wrinkles. I couldn't believe it was him!

He did my RNY in 2007 and looked good. I am just done... I am glad the revision is done. I am grateful I survived! I am grateful all went well. All in all... I am done with them. If I need anyone I will go to Dr. K, I guess.... hopefully I won't need anything more.

Yea I can understand. Dr. K will see you im sure as long as you have Ppo insurance. Plus for yearly Labs you can take of of the doctors office line and the it to your paper and have them order them.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back