Non-WLS Surgery

Parousia

I thought there was a category for this, but can't find one anywhere. Oh, well...

I mentioned before I had my Duodenal Switch that I was hoping they would remove a rather large ovarian cyst I have at the same time. Due to some miscommunication between cross-state doctors, that didn't happen.

Anyway, I'm booked in at my local hospital to have the procedure done tomorrow morning (Monday, 14 July). It involves removing my right ovary and tube, and taking a frozen section and having it analysed while I'm under, to check for cancer. If it's positive they will do a full hysterectomy and oophorectomy (removal of the ovary) and removal of the tubes (can't remember what they call it) on both sides. I'm quite nervous about that possibility although the doctor said the risk of cancer was only 3-5%. At my previous appointment, prior to a CT scan and Ultrasound he had said the risk was under 1%. So yeah, not an improvement!

While I'm under, he's planning to get another surgeon to come in and repair an umbilical hernia repair I had done previously, because a corner of the mesh is protruding through my skin, and it has also pushed my belly button out, so it seems to be gravitating outwards. This is getting progressively worse.

Unfortunately, I suspect this won't be my last surgery this year, as I have been experiencing quite a bit of right upper abdo pain after eating anything fatty, so I'm suspecting my gall bladder is causing problems. My surgeon doesn't remove them as a standard practice during DS surgery.

So, that's what's happening in my life right now. I'm afraid my updates will continue to be infrequent at this stage due to the other stuff I'm dealing with, but I will keep popping in from time to time.

Hugs and best wishes to you all.

PS Had my bloods done 2 weeks ago and much to my surprise they were great. Better than before surgery, in fact. That was probably due to a combination of some very high dose samples of Vit D and some other vitamins Kyal gave me before surgery, and having an iron infusion prior to surgery. I'm now on a slightly modified Vitalady regime, so I'm hoping they will keep improving.

I'm so sorry you are going through all this! I hope the tests for cancer will be negative - and that you'll let us know the good news.

I hope everything goes well and the tests for cancer are negative!! Good luck on your upcoming surgery.

Sorry to hear that you have to go into surgery again. Having had a couple of surgeries for ovarian cysts, I can sympathize. Too bad they didn't take out the cyst when you had the DS. Try not to worry too much about it being cancer.

I am so glad that you let us know what is going on with you. I will keep you in my thoughts for an easy complete recovery. I am wishing you the best of luck with the cancer screening, too. I hope you don't have to have your gal-bladder removed but, if you do, that surgery is not too bad to recover from, YMMV.

I am sorry you are having to go through all of this. Hope it all gets resolved soon.

Thanks so much for the good wishes, everybody!

Thankfully, the news is good and all the tests were negative for cancer. Oddly enough, it turned out to not be an ovarian cyst in the end. It was in my right Fallopian tube. Not sure how such a large cyst could be in a Fallopian tube, but anyway, they removed the affected tube. I do have a few questions for the surgeon at my follow-up appointment, though. One plus with not having to have the ovary removed is that at least my hormones won't be all over the place, which was a big concern I had if I had to have everything out. There's only so much extra I could have dealt with at this point in my life! Of course, the big "C" would have put things into a whole different ballpark altogether, in any case, but I tried to avoid thinking about that possibility too much.

Anyway, I was discharged on Saturday, but still in quite a bit of pain and feeling pretty much the worse for wear. But still, very happy with the outcome.

Much health and happiness to all. x

Thanks so much for the good wishes, everybody!

Thankfully, the news is good and all the tests were negative for cancer. Oddly enough, it turned out to not be an ovarian cyst in the end. It was in my right Fallopian tube. Not sure how such a large cyst could be in a Fallopian tube, but anyway, they removed the affected tube. I do have a few questions for the surgeon at my follow-up appointment, though. One plus with not having to have the ovary removed is that at least my hormones won't be all over the place, which was a big concern I had if I had to have everything out. There's only so much extra I could have dealt with at this point in my life! Of course, the big "C" would have put things into a whole different ballpark altogether, in any case, but I tried to avoid thinking about that possibility too much.

Anyway, I was discharged on Saturday, but still in quite a bit of pain and feeling pretty much the worse for wear. But still, very happy with the outcome.

Much health and happiness to all. x
That's fantastic news! You must feel so relieved! :)

Latest posts

Back