NON-Surgeon Reviews

Wow wow wow!!! Two things:
- I haven't had my surgery yet not till June 30 but the things he said scares me - they're not true???
- I wish there was a male version of the word no male is supposed to use describing a woman, but maybe now is a good time to create one let's call him a "Hugh" - definition: (n) any dickwad man that deserves to be gang raped by a heard of angry elephants and probably would like it (v) you deserve to be Hughed (adj) my boss is being hughish today

I would be asking for the study that says the malabsorbtion doesn't 'kick in' for a year. How dumb does he think you are? If you had the DS you know it! The poop leaves you with no doubts at all. Calories... 400 a day? What planet does this guy live on?

Wow wow wow!!! Two things:
- I haven't had my surgery yet not till June 30 but the things he said scares me - they're not true???
- I wish there was a male version of the word no male is supposed to use describing a woman, but maybe now is a good time to create one let's call him a "Hugh" - definition: (n) any dickwad man that deserves to be gang raped by a heard of angry elephants and probably would like it (v) you deserve to be Hughed (adj) my boss is being hughish today
OMG, this is so funny! And Houston was my surgeon!

Great jumping Jehosephat!! Could he have been joking with you? You'd mentioned: "At first his obnoxious and rude attitude didn't bother me. I just gave it right back to him." Might he feel he has the kind of relationship with you that would allow this sort of banter? I just can't imagine anyone saying this to someone and it not being a joke. The part about the malabsorption "kicking in after a year" perplexed me. Could he have possibly meant that the initial massive weight loss from the procedure was due primarily to the restrictive sleeve lessoning hunger and thus intake, while after a year or so when the sleeve is stretched to about 75% of a "normal stomach", the malabsorptive features of the procedure become more important to weight loss? I have to assume he knows as much or more about this procedure than you or I do, and so there's gotta be an explanation for his statements. I frequently joke with a female Dr. at the hospital I work in, and in all honesty it sometimes gets pretty darn racy! If someone ever took what either of us said out of context.....it just wouldn't be good. Hehe. I've no reason to defend this guy...just suggesting a possibility. If he actually meant what he's reported to have said....my advice would be to flee post hence!

It's a thought I'd like to agree with because he's my surgeon as well; just joking around, etc. Sadly, he is an arrogant asshat. He always has been, yet as jjordan said, he is an excellent cutter. The biggest problem that I see with his practice is that the program never fully embraced the DS. The other two doctors in the group have always bad-mouthed it. The nuts never did a proper DS education and the nurse director of the program is very narrow minded. So if a number of their DS patients have not fared well, they bear a lot of responsibility for that.

You are still not hearing my concerns.

1. Dr. Kim does not have enough experience doing the DS, in my opinion. Less experience = more complications
2. I don't need your sympathy. What I need you to understand is that complications can happen to anyone, and they are more likely with an inexperienced surgeon.
3. How many Ds surgeries has Dr. Kim actually DONE? Wasn't he one of the docs who observed Stewart a few times and then announced he was now doing DS surgeries? There are a few surgeons like this in DFW. I don't remember if Dr. Kim is one of them. You need to find out.
4. What I do know is that Dr. Kim has been known as a lap band surgeon, NOT a DS surgeon. His face is plastered all over Dallas advertising himself, along with Barker.
5. In my opinion, Dr. Ayoola did things the right way and assisted Dr. Stewart for over a year with the DS, plus helped handle all of the complications. If you really feel comfortable being a guinea pig, be my guest.
#4.....FYI he does way more than lapbands, hes done many sleeves and bypasses, I wouldn't consider him a lapband surgeon only.

#4.....FYI he does way more than lapbands, hes done many sleeves and bypasses, I wouldn't consider him a lapband surgeon only.
BUT, Dr. Kim leans heavily towards Crap Bands. That's really bad. Because that's just about insuring he will get them back later for another WLS, because of the high failure rate of the Crap Band. Then he'll herd them into a sleeve, NOT a DS. From there he can then go to bypass, all on the same patient, creating an income cash cow for himself with repeat surgeries on the same patient. Unfortunately, that's what money hungry surgeons do in the bariatric arena.

So now we can add Hugh Houston to the "Bait and Don't Switch" list. Good to know, and thank you for sharing his assholiness, @jjordan8130 . If a doctor actually spoke to me like that, I'd probably leave in handcuffs for assaulting him. You really should file a complaint against him for his crude behavior.

And @jjordan8130 , you don't need him for follow-up care. You can go to anyone you choose. If you DO go back to Houston (the potty mouthed bastard), I would take a very outspoken advocate with you. Someone who is clued into his past behavior, who isn't intimidated by his Assholiness. Preferably a man. I'm not being sexist, I'm being a realist. The sad truth is that men aren't as likely to bully a woman with another male relative in the room. Unless Houston is a sociopath. Then watch out.

Let me ask you this then, as I continue to mull over possible motivations for his rude communications with you: have you ever had a conversation with other patients in his waiting room where you discussed the advantages of DS over lap band, Roux-en-y, or sleeve? If so.....this could greatly incense office staff whose primary mission is cash flow, and not necessarily the needs of their patients. It's a conspiracy theory for sure, but it might explain why he's appearing to be trying to drive you away. Remember, they can do 2 1/2 lap bands for every DS and then they get to do the revision to sleeve, and maybe even add the DS bypass portion later on. It's HUGE money! There is clearly a bias against DS in that office somewhere at the very least, and it's also possible they fear you cutting into their cash cow. I know if I were sitting in a waiting room, and a person told me they were their for a lap band, I'd do everything possible to explain what a crappy procedure it was to save them from misery. Could this be the REAL reason? Trust me when I say that when all else fails...follow the money! It's just human nature to let greed dictate actions sometimes, unfortunately.

Those are good thoughts, Will. Unfortunately, since multiple people have had issues with him, it sounds like he's just an asshole :p.

If he were just arrogant in his personality, I'd actually feel better about him. If he's actually driving her away because she dared to tell the truth about a procedure and he's concerned it could cost him money-he's a total dirtbag! Actually, on second thought he's a dirtbag either way. Some folks just are what they are...

Let me ask you this then, as I continue to mull over possible motivations for his rude communications with you: have you ever had a conversation with other patients in his waiting room where you discussed the advantages of DS over lap band, Roux-en-y, or sleeve? If so.....this could greatly incense office staff whose primary mission is cash flow, and not necessarily the needs of their patients. It's a conspiracy theory for sure, but it might explain why he's appearing to be trying to drive you away. Remember, they can do 2 1/2 lap bands for every DS and then they get to do the revision to sleeve, and maybe even add the DS bypass portion later on. It's HUGE money! There is clearly a bias against DS in that office somewhere at the very least, and it's also possible they fear you cutting into their cash cow. I know if I were sitting in a waiting room, and a person told me they were their for a lap band, I'd do everything possible to explain what a crappy procedure it was to save them from misery. Could this be the REAL reason? Trust me when I say that when all else fails...follow the money! It's just human nature to let greed dictate actions sometimes, unfortunately.

I actually went to a seminar in an effort to pay it forward and had the gall to say you can lapse and be successful and yes, I drink with meals. All I got for my efforts and truth telling was the stink eye from the nurse director of the program. Next week, two other former patients attended and were nearly sainted on Facebook for their efforts. The nurse had an RNY and for years, Centennial was very RNY centric. Now they seem to be VSG focused. While that is their choice, anyone who wants a DS in TN has at least a choice between another doctor in Nashville and one in Knoxville. HCA was a huge for-profit corporation and got busted by the Feds for their shady business dealings. The urban facilities were split from the rural hospitals, yet they are still for-profit. While Houston may indeed be greedy, I do know that when he first starting doing the DS, his allotted time for the surgical suites was limited by hospital administration. Greed abounds in that corporation.

Disclaimer: No business entity can exist without some profit, but the CEO's of the two hospital systems are among the highest paid CEO's in TN. Healthcare should be for people; not for profit. 'Nuff said.

@jjordan8130 I just received my approval for VSG to DS and my Dr is Boyce in Knoxville. Scheduling in the morning for the end of June. I don't know what they would charge for your follow-up care at this point. It's $1800 out of pocket for newbies....BUT I love is attitude and personality. Sorry for the horrible treatment you are getting in Nashville. I loathed my 1st surgeon that did my VSG (he talked me out of the DS) and vowed I would have to have a surgeon who I felt really confortable with this time. Dr Boyce and his staff are worth the 4hr drive and the out of pocket expense! And money has not been easy to come by. BTW I'm a nurse as well.

Latest posts

Back