Newbie DS'r end of week 4 report...not good!

BrianChesteen

Glad to be a Loser!
My luck ran out Friday evening....

Sitting watching a movie I got a sharp pain in my left upper abdomen. Felt like a big gas bubble.

It remained sore in that area till bedtime and that night I passed a ton of very foul gas. I had about 4 typical DS bowel movements on Saturday morning and right after taking some Gas X, I vomited the 12oz of G2 that I had drank over the past hour.

Cramping continued most of the day Saturday. I took 2 nausea pills to keep that at bay.

Sunday I went to church but was still sort of sore. At lunch I ate about 3-4 ounces of chicken breast out of alfredo. Chewed to oblivion.

Throughout the day on Sunday, the pain traveled from upper left to lower left and then started moving toward the center in my groin area.

I can press on the area and it is sore but not hard or distended or very painful to touch. I have passed a little gas last night and this morning but nothing major. I rolled all night and did not sleep much but I would roll trying to work this thing out whatever it is.

I am calling the surgeon office as soon as they open for advice.

For full disclosure, I ate one bite of a cheesy bread stick on Thursday evening. I had some smashed northern beans with a few chopped raw onions on Thursday at noon.

Not sure if one of those caused this or if it is something more serious. I have not ran any fever at all and otherwise feel good.

I have been able to get my medications in as well as my liquid. My urine is almost clear. I have halted the vitamins at this time due to the nausea. I only got 63g of protein on Sunday and nothing on Saturday.

Barring anything sinister, chances are you're feeling this stuff because you're healing. Nerves are reconnecting and sending more messages to your brain. This is why I like to warn people who think they can tolerate just about anything so early out that it can change quite suddenly.

Never hurts to contact the surgical team :) Even if it is nothing. This soon out you should call if you are worried.

Now having said that I know people years out who have severe cramps after even a bit of bread things. Its a YMMV thing.

Wishing you continued recovery and painfreeness :)

Called them first thing and they called back around 10.

Gave the nurse all the particulars and she said could be "clumping" or a bug that is going around. Since no fever, no issues with getting fluid in and my urine is clear, she just wants me to keep an eye on it, take my zofran for nausea and to take the pain meds even if I did not want to. She said it was important for them to know if the pain meds make the pain go away. She said that if it was too serious, I would be having 8-9 pain instead of 2-3 pain.

I think it is a combo of what EN has said along with the bite of cheezy bread and possibly the minced raw onions. I knew I should not have eaten that stuff but I did and now I know not to again any time soon!

It seems like it is slowly resolving. I am having a protein shake now. After I will take some pain meds and see what happens. I have an in office apt. on Wednesday for my 1 month followup. Hopefully it is gone by then.

If I were you, actually that should read when I AM you, I immediately back my diet way way way up. Go to the most basic and benign foods and protein drinks.

Usually with me those are gas pains and many many many things can cause them. I know going slow hasn't seemed necessary for you so far, sounds like your time has come to slow down, Brian. Hope it's nothing serious.

Raw onions...way too soon for that! Lesson learned, I'm sure.

Even the chicken alfredo may have been partly to blame. Even well chewed, chicken is hard to digest. It sounds like a case of too much too soon. Don't worry about 1 or 2 days of less protein than usual. It's the long haul that counts. Just keep up on your fluids, get in some protein drinks if you can eat really easy stuff (soft egg, maybe shrimp, that sort of thing) and hopefully all will be well.
But I'm really glad you contacted your surgeon. Good move!

Larra

If I were you, actually that should read when I AM you, I immediately back my diet way way way up. Go to the most basic and benign foods and protein drinks.

Usually with me those are gas pains and many many many things can cause them. I know going slow hasn't seemed necessary for you so far, sounds like your time has come to slow down, Brian. Hope it's nothing serious.

While I have mostly been doing just that for the past 2 weeks, since Friday, that is all I have done with the exception of lunch on Sunday. Nothing but water on Saturday, Sunday was only one protein shake and the chicken. Thursday's meal was out of the normal for me. Today things have progressed to a much better place. I think it is on its way out.

Raw onions...way too soon for that! Lesson learned, I'm sure.

Amen!

Even the chicken alfredo may have been partly to blame. Even well chewed, chicken is hard to digest. It sounds like a case of too much too soon. Don't worry about 1 or 2 days of less protein than usual. It's the long haul that counts. Just keep up on your fluids, get in some protein drinks if you can eat really easy stuff (soft egg, maybe shrimp, that sort of thing) and hopefully all will be well.
But I'm really glad you contacted your surgeon. Good move!

Larra

It may not have helped the situation, but it definitely did not start it. This started on Friday evening and I ate the chicken (no pasta, and very little sauce just to make it moist) around 2pm on Sunday. I will definately put my diet progression back a few steps to ensure this is gone before moving fwd.

At first I was in a hurry to progress but have learned that is not wise. Funny thing is that those cravings are leaving my head anyway so that is good. It seems like the further out I am, the less desire I have to eat stuff too soon.

This event has really stopped most head hunger.

It seems my head is getting the message to eat to live vs live to eat!

I am 3 months out. I can not get chicken of any kind in without some sort of trouble. Even toddler size bites, chewed until oblivion.

Chicken is a staple in my surgeon's phase II diet.

I don't seem to have an issue with it as long as it is moist.

I have a "50% sleeve" that had the staple line oversewn per my op report. This may help my tolerance of chicken.

Latest posts

Back