Need Probiotic Help

DSRIGGS

Yes, that is chocolate covered bacon
Okay I am out of the hospital where I was on a powerful iv antibiotic for 2.5 day and now I am on augmentin and Clyndamyacin at home. I need to start a probiotic at home but not sure what to take. I think I tried florastar 2 (florajen) before and it caused bloat and discomfort. Any suggestion on a good one for me to start.

Thanks

This is my favorite though it is considered a "soil-based" organisms rather than straight probiotic; but does well to repopulate the gut flora.
http://www.teraganix.com/Pro-EM-1-Probiotic-Daily-Probiotic-Cleanse-s/20.htm

I got permission from Greenbaum to use it also in my daily flush of the feeding tube as well. Seemed to help a lot.

For true probiotic, I take a swigs of homemade whey! Tart, but chock full of good bacteria. You can either just buy a carton of organic yogurt from the grocery and strain it in a pastry cloth, or make your own yogurt. I know, sounds ambitious, especially at this stage of your healing.... but it is a very easy task, good for life long habits. Strain it as thick as you like for tremendous greek-style yogurt and the protein and probiotic rich whey separate for adding to shakes or soup or salad dressing.

If that sounds like a lot, I won't overwhelm you with the prospect of making kefir or kombucha.... but we're talking about real, life-sustaining probiotics if you're interested to get that gut flora back. I had to start augmentin today too, but I didn't have any of the other powerhouses you were hit with in the hospital.
Hope you keep at getting your flora back and heal well.
Nickie

I just finished a round of augmentin, combined with a few doses of iv cipro while in hospital last week.

I have been taking florastor every morning and this Primadophilus Reuteri every evening.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001E12JXK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

I'm also eating at least 1-2 greek yogurts daily and trying to keep simple carbs way low.

My pharmacy has ordered VSL#3 for me, but it's not in yet. For now, I think this combination is doing OK.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I take this. It is the Trunature probiotic and I buy it at Costco. The rule of thumb that I was given for a probiotic is a minimum of 10 billion active cultures. I haven't had any problems with bloating or gas. Like @Jbandmmomma I eat at least one Greek yogurt everyday. I also hate yogurt, but I choke it down because it helps with digestion so much.

I hope you get better real soon.

Thank ladies.

Larra is this 1 per day or multiple times? Ideally I would like a 1/day but want a good one so will do what is needed

Thank ladies.

Larra is this 1 per day or multiple times? Ideally I would like a 1/day but want a good one so will do what is needed

I would read the label for any you choose to take. I know one of the ones I take, must be taken on an empty stomach and of course, kept in the refrigerator.

I would read the label for any you choose to take. I know one of the ones I take, must be taken on an empty stomach and of course, kept in the refrigerator.
I am asking so I can make a decision on what to buy/order. I want to know BEFORE I buy the product so I don't want a probiotic that I have to take multiple times a day and or follow a bunch of rules for how I take it. I am looking for a product that I take once a day and preferable have it sitting right next to my other vitamins so I don't forget to take it.

BTW from what I have read, not every Probiotic has to be refrigerated or taken on an empty stomach.

I take them twice daily, but I know my surgeon has recommend 3 times daily to at least one other person. they don't require refrigeration. If you get the refrigerated probiotics, they are probably the best in terms of number of microflora. Whether or not that would mean you could get away with once/day I don't know.

Thanks

I think I am going to try the one Costco sells. The way I look at it I was taking nothing before, so something will be better than nothing.

I am looking for a product that I take once a day and preferable have it sitting right next to my other vitamins so I don't forget to take it.
Which is why Charles and I take the Digestive Advantage GUMMIES!!! (Only gummy we use, BTW).

It isn't the best one BUT it's one we do remember to take and that is better than not taking one at all. The ones that need refrigeration GET FORGOTTEN in this house.

Since your biggest issue is while you are on antibiotics (and that is a scarily potent combo), you might not need to go for the Costco size but could try PDU or one of the others and see how you do. I would start with one a day and ramp it up, again while you're on the abx. Must feel good to be back home!
How's your eating/appetite?

Latest posts

Back