My (Robs), New Update, 20+ Weeks

robs477

Now an Angel in heaven
t’s been a while since I’ve given an update or progress report. The last one was actually at the 9 week point, so….here goes it. As of today I’m 143 days post op, 5 weeks, 3 days and have hit the big 100 lbs. lost club!!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:. That’s including the 13 lbs pre-op which equates to .6 lbs per day or 4.2 lbs per week as a post-op average WL.

80% of my EWL according to the books would have me losing around 30 lbs more which would put me at 220. I would prefer 230-240, but, we’ll see I guess?

IF you look at those numbers, you can see that I can actually see the finish line on the horizon, 4-6 wks. Again, I NEVER thought I would be saying this, being MR. SELF PROCLAIMED SUPER ABSORBER, BUT……I AM starting to get a teeny, tiny bit concerned about that rate of WL and what I may do to experiment with slowing it down some?? Thus my mention of it in the other thread from @DSRIGGS.

More good news is a significant amount of my food aversions have been reduced and or diminished. Some examples are:

1) I can eat chicken breasts again now, (still working up to thigh meat).
2) For the last week or so, I’ve been able to get most all of my protein from real food and am losing the GD protein drink for the last week!!!!! YAAAYY!!!
3) I can eat most pork except ham, I eat fish, shrimp, any seafood and Rib-eye Steaks of course.
4) I can drink milk again ok.

The things I still can’t bear the thought of eating are:
1) Bacon, (which I used to love), sausage, ham
2) GARLIC!! is probably the worst (I used to use HEAVY garlic in everything)
3) Can’t really do hamburgers yet, a little, it is getting better.
4) Most soft yellow cheeses. I eat mostly fresh parmesan which has almost twice the protein anyway and use it on everything.

So, as you can see, my list of food I can eat is growing and I’m a pretty happy camper right about now and I feel great!!!

Also, I flew on a plane recently and could actually jam my not as fat ass into the seat and actually buckle the belt!!!

I can finally see all of my Willy (and my feet) again,..without looking in the mirror :D and my “Moobs” are down to a much more manageable (yet perky) and manly “A” cup;). I’m down to a size 40-42 pants size from a 52-54!!! And, don’t have to shop in the “Fat guy” section anymore!

So, it’s ALL good! And I have just met my first original minimum WL goal by losing 100 Lbs!!

Last edited:
@robs477 you are doing great! Life sure is different when you weigh 100 less, isn't it. People who have never been MO cannot imagine how much they take for granted.
Keep on going, you will reach your goals, and your diet will continue to become more varied. Just for one example, a lot of people (including me) have trouble with hamburger early out. something about the texture. But now I'm fine with it, and you will be too.

You are doing great!

Personally I would NOT slow it down.

And I am thankful my husband didn't either. He's 5'8" and kissed 147 at his low point. BUT he has since regained back to the high 170's. Technically he's back in overweight territory. BUT he looks and feels great now.

wow Rob, you are rocking it! I enjoy reading your posts and they are very helpful to me. I am looking forward to seeing what food aversions I may have once I get over this healing process. One thing I am not drinking is coffee - used to be a 2 or 3 cup a day girl, but time will tell.
congratulations on meeting up with Willie again too! My boobs have gone from a C to C flat already, and I do hope to some day see my girly parts. Your an inspiration Rob. Thanks for sharing!:th partyline:

You are doing phenomenally! Keep going, let your DS do it's job. You have to trust your DS. I know there are a few people, men especially, who lose more than they want to lose. There are a lot more people who would like to lose more than they did. Relax and enjoy the ride.

Your food lists are similar to what I went through. I can't think of any foods that I can't eat anymore. There are lots that I don't eat due to its potential for gas production or weight gain. Things do come full circle.

Thank you for sharing your inspirational post! It is great to hear that your food aversions have lessened over time. So many foods that i used to eat just seem so unappealing to me now (and so many others are off limits d/t carbs or potential gas issues etc). i feel like my diet is pretty restricted and look forward to opening it up down the line.

Way to go!

Weird - my food "issues" (such as they were or are) were the opposite:
  • I still find chicken breast to be too dry most of the time, while thighs are deliciously moist
  • Ham and bacon good - pork chops, notsomuch (again, too dry)
  • Garlic is the spice of life
  • Hamburger meat is fine (though I prefer it in a casserole rather than burgers)
  • There's no cheese I can't eat - and I like full fat ricotta out of the container, like yoghurt.
You ARE losing fast, and I would consider whether you might want to deliberately slow things down just a bit - the average is 50% EWL at six months, and if I understood where you are at, you are WAY ahead of the curve. You might want to try adding a few healthy low glycemic index carbs back into your diet:

Classification GI range[9] Examples[9]
Low GI 55 or less fructose; beans (white, black, pink, kidney, lentil, soy, almond, peanut, walnut, chickpea); small seeds (sunflower,flax, pumpkin, poppy, sesame, hemp); most whole intact grains (durum/spelt/kamut wheat, millet, oat, rye, rice,barley); most vegetables, most sweet fruits (peaches, strawberries, mangos); tagatose; mushrooms; chilis

But I would not go crazy with it. I'd stick with the beans (if they don't kill you), seeds (and nuts?), and the whole grains in particular.

Rob..great stuff. Here is my humble opinion. Don't try to slow anything down, just eat whatever the hell you want (that doesn't hurt your gut or butt) and things will take care of themselves. BTW I am talking about veggies, potatoes, rice and some sweets...not talking eat tons of junk but IMO, variety has always been huge for me.

Regarding foods I don't like, there really aren't many. I really like chicken breasts now for some reason (always dry before but for some reason now I like them). Actually, bacon from a diner is not good to me now.....way too greasy/burnt tasting. I still eat some of the pre cooked costco stuff (really meaty) but maybe 5-8 pieces every couple weeks. Dry hamburgers I can not do. A really juicy hamburger I can but they do kind of hurt me a bit.

Regarding your final weight. Honestly, I thought 220 would be great for me but I really like being at 190. I know I will eventually put another 10 lbs of muscle or so back on, but that will be okay(I need strength back). I suggest that you lose down to the point you are a skinny ass and then you will bounce back up.

All of that being said, I don't buy into the philosophy that you can really sabotage your weight loss. If you stop the protein and only eat carbs you will be miserable so it won't happen. I think just eating as normally as you can, and that means getting in your protein (eff that damn shake...good for you that you can get away from those nasty things :D ) will put you where you need to be. In the end, I think our bodies know where to settle in an for the most part we are along for the ride unless we artificially change something (CREON or channel revision).

Last edited:
BTW, the 6-9 month area is where I think I really began to be able to eat again and didn't feel like I would never enjoy food again.

@robs477 Congratulations!! You are doing so great. I have surgery Monday. I will lose much slower cause I'm a woman and a revision. But if I do half as well (50 lbs in 20 weeks) I will be amazed. Keep us posted. Your posts are always amusing and I usually learn something.

Wow, very impressive!

I'm curious if you have had a change in salt sensitivity that is affecting your taste for most things pig.

I had a drastic change from having an insatiable appetite for salt pro-op, but like a switch being flipped, lost all interest in salt the day my DS happened, an to this day some salty things I used to adore still turn me off. There were many things that just didn't appeal for mb a year or more, but now, other than salt, I pretty much eat everything again.

You may want to develop a love of carbs for a while if you need to slow the weight loss, you lucky bastard.

I go through different salt periods. Have since my DS. Sometimes everything tastes like it needs salt. Other times everything tastes incredibly salty. It happens less frequently than it did, but it still happens.

Latest posts

Back