My Non Surgical Weight Loss before Surgery...

@star0210 is right, it's for your liver. The LAST 2 days of liquid only is to clear your bowels.

I did 5 days protein shakes but they also allowed me as many vegetables as I wanted (except corn, peas and potatoes) until the last 2 days, then only protein shakes. It wasn't pleaseant to start out but I found if I could find something to occupy myself with I really didn't think about it. As for the last 2 days, you'll be so close to surgery that you won't mind it at all.

I did a over a year on 900 calorie liquid diet to get my insurance company to prequalify for DS, so I'd say this seems not so bad in comparison... Hang in there!

I did a over a year on 900 calorie liquid diet to get my insurance company to prequalify for DS, so I'd say this seems not so bad in comparison... Hang in there!

I feel your pain Hilary, keep in mind my diet since august has been a partially liquid diet consisting of protein shakes, cottage cheese, 1 unsweetened peaches, then I would have a steak, chicken, or pork chops and salad for dinner...there has been little to no deviation from this at all. No Soda, Tea, Coffee, any other type of drink but water, no potatoes, macaroni of any kind, or rice, no bread of any kind.

@Denis Korb I'm usually not a big fan if these 2 week pre-op diets, but you are a high risk patient with a surgeon who, while very experienced with bariatric surgery, has limited experience with the DS. It will help to shrink your liver and make the most difficult part of the surgeon (the work on the duodenum) as easy for him as possible and as safe as possible for you.

What Larrra said! Also, I should mention that my doctor's office staff told me that I could "cheat" with a very lean and green meal once a day but try really hard to stay at 800 calories or under up to about 3 days before surgery. You can do this!

Is it normal to feel pains in your stomach area while on the liquid portion of the diet. I mean its not excruciating, but if I blow my nose I can feel like a 3-4 level pain on a scale of 1-10. And just sitting drinking water, and writing it is kind of annoying. I'm uncertain if its hunger pains or Gas or whatever?

Your body is adjusting to serious hunger. Yes, those pangs are normal. Days 3-4 are the worst part of the pre-op diet - hang in there. Pretty soon you'll be sailing through it and your surgery will be here before you know it. I had to do it for four weeks, so I get it!

Latest posts

Back