Moving on up!

kirmy

I've been living in Scotland too long because every time something really good happens I expect to get hit by a meteor or develop oral thrush or something equally distressing. It's the Calvanistic belief that good things happen only to remind you how shite the bad times are....don't be seduced!

Anyhow I've been house shopping, spending time with my sister and uncle and aunt and loving my man. My job continues to be awesome and I'm doing damn well.

So I've been in a quandry. My uncle who is a very successful economist and accountant sat me down and talked sense to me. If I buy my wee croft on the beach in bumfuck nowhere David won't have a stab at a career, the mortgage will chunter along with only my contribution and then it will sell poorly or not for years as the stagnant housing market limps along in rural areas. It broke my heart but fuck me he's right. After much soul searching and honest discussion I turned my house hunting efforts to the central belt of Scotland namely Stirlingshire. My God it's full of Victorian properties that make my bustle russel.

I am viewing 8 properties when I get off the rig and they are so lovely that I'm a bit shocked I'm allowed in them let alone aloud to potentially be their guardian. When I think about the enormity of this situation all I can think about is how my surgery paved a yellow brick road of success for me. I'm so profoundly humbled by this that I wonder how catastrophic my previous work life balance would be now if this never happened.

Anyway this is a little hello and sorry post. I'm here but I'm overwhelmed with the good and scary stuff right now. I'm holding steady with no further bounce back...in fact I'm down three kg's since my last post and sitting there fine. My brain seems too busy with life organisation to argue with me over my gut. I'm cruising!

Ooh good luck with the house. At least you won't get gazumped there as you have the funny sealed bid thing going on - nerve racking, but at least you won't end up paying needlessly for surveys !! :)

Yeh things haven't quite recovered like London up here but it is wise to pitch in now before the bubble inflates too much.

I wish you luck Kirmy! And your Uncle is most likely right. But I did love the idea of a cottage on the beach in the middle of nowhere. Very romantic!

I love house hunting. You might even find something you like more than the beach house, although I'm partial to isolated beach cotages myself and don't see anything wrong with the man being House Husband / Pet Sitter. Pffft employment.

If it's available in a few years, maybe you'll be ready for a second vacation house? Not as good an investment as a primary home, but always fun to think about.

I love house hunting. You might even find something you like more than the beach house, although I'm partial to isolated beach cotages myself and don't see anything wrong with the man being House Husband / Pet Sitter. Pffft employment.

If it's available in a few years, maybe you'll be ready for a second vacation house? Not as good an investment as a primary home, but always fun to think about.
Well I don't have a problem either with David being a house husband except that he's becoming totally socially isolated and it isn't helping him recover from depression. He has been enthusiastic about living in the central belt so now I suspect he's wanted this for some time but never asked. I guess I gotta share!

Victorian houses are awesome, and I'm sure you'll pick one with lots of character, and, as Diana recommended, modern plumbing. Just be prepared for lots of visitors from over the pond.

Latest posts

Back