Looking for a DS surgeon near New Mexico

kevin86

I live in New Mexico and am looking into possibly getting Duodenal Switch done. I'm trying to find a doctor to get this procedure done if I decide to. I have checked NM but there are no surgeons that do it here. I'm hoping that there are great surgeons in either Utah, Arizona, or Colorado. If not my next choice would have to be Texas. Thank you for any and all information.

I'd go to Ayoola in Denton TX. There is nobody in Arizona I would let touch me with a 10' pole; Cottam in UT and Metz in CO are prevaricating (to put it as nicely as possible) and giving people SADI/SIPS/LoopDS instead of a proper DS, and I wouldn't consider it myself.

I'd go to Ayoola in Denton TX. There is nobody in Arizona I would let touch me with a 10' pole; Cottam in UT and Metz in CO are prevaricating (to put it as nicely as possible) and giving people SADI/SIPS/LoopDS instead of a proper DS, and I wouldn't consider it myself.

Funny you should mention that. That is the exact surgeon my friend that just got it recommended. I was so excited to see that Dr. Metz was offering it until I looked deeper and found out that it was not the same thing. Almost felt like false advertisements. Being about 530 lbs I'm guessing the traditional DS is what's best. Do you agree? Also have you heard anything about Dr. Steven Simper in Salt Lake City?

Funny you should mention that. That is the exact surgeon my friend that just got it recommended. I was so excited to see that Dr. Metz was offering it until I looked deeper and found out that it was not the same thing. Almost felt like false advertisements. Being about 530 lbs I'm guessing the traditional DS is what's best. Do you agree? Also have you heard anything about Dr. Steven Simper in Salt Lake City?
I am biased. The DS is the only Bariatric surgery I would ever considers. At 530 pounds I would say that the DS is the absolute choice I would recommend for you.

BTW if you have to travel and your insurance covers it, you should really strongly consider Dr Keshishian in Glendale, CA (LA) or Dr Rabkin in SF. They are the two best in the world as far as I am concerned. Dr K has completed over 2,000 DS procedures and 500 plus of those were very complex Band or RNY to DS revisions (an average surgeon CAN NOT do these nor should they). In the end, traveling to Cali versus Texas is not a big deal and you want the best. That being said Aayoola has good reviews on this board.

I am biased. The DS is the only Bariatric surgery I would ever considers. At 530 pounds I would say that the DS is the absolute choice I would recommend for you.

BTW if you have to travel and your insurance covers it, you should really strongly consider Dr Keshishian in Glendale, CA (LA) or Dr Rabkin in SF. They are the two best in the world as far as I am concerned. Dr K has completed over 2,000 DS procedures and 500 plus of those were very complex Band or RNY to DS revisions (an average surgeon CAN NOT do these nor should they). In the end, traveling to Cali versus Texas is not a big deal and you want the best. That being said Aayoola has good reviews on this board.

Thank you for the info. I had not even thought about California. I was mainly thinking about driving distance which is why Dr. Simper came up in my search. Ultimately the more great info I get on these doctors the more informed decision I can make. So any and all info is helpful. If it wasn't for all of you guys on here I would have never saw that there was a difference between Dr. Metz "DS Switch" and the traditional DS Switch. Thank you!!

Dr. Simper has a very good reputation but like DSRIGGS mentioned, if I was able to chose, Dr. Rabkin or Dr. K.

Yeah I'm definitely going to look into both of these. I mainly looked into these areas around me because I'm not real sure how feasible it will be for me to pay for plane tickets and rental cars on top of everything else right now. Multiple people bringing up these other doctors though has peaked my interest and I will be looking into them. Thank you for your help.

Welcome, Kevin!

Dr. Simper in Utah has an excellent reputation and does the real DS, not some pseudo DS that does not have established long term results and for which there is no insurance code (so the DS code is being used, or a combination of other existing codes, which isn't really kosher IMHO). Given your location and logistics and all that, I would recommend either him or Dr. Ayoola in TX. I wish there were someone closer that I felt comfortable recommending, but there isn't.

Welcome, Kevin!

Dr. Simper in Utah has an excellent reputation and does the real DS, not some pseudo DS that does not have established long term results and for which there is no insurance code (so the DS code is being used, or a combination of other existing codes, which isn't really kosher IMHO). Given your location and logistics and all that, I would recommend either him or Dr. Ayoola in TX. I wish there were someone closer that I felt comfortable recommending, but there isn't.
Thank you Larra!!! Your help is greatly appreciated And it's ok. It comes from living in a small city in a small state. Haha

"Almost felt like false advertisements."

Not almost. It IS false advertising and I'm hoping these LIES result in criminal and civil prosecution.

"Almost felt like false advertisements."

Not almost. It IS false advertising and I'm hoping these LIES result in criminal and civil prosecution.
Yeah. If it wasn't for you guys I would probably be looking into a consult with Dr. Metz. Thank you for all the information you provide.

Welcome Kevin! Surgeons are cutters. Most of them are lacking in followup and maintenance. Just a fact... I would also look at Ayoola in TX.

Do you mind if I ask you how your experience was with him and the procedure? Pre-op thru post-op?

I am glad to share any information. You can read all about my experiences by reading lots of the posts on here. Simper is a great surgeon. He is not overly touchy feely or free with the meds after surgery. I did just fine though. I lost all of my excess weight and am quite healthy. I will gladly answer any specific questions you might have after you have poked around on this site. :cool:

Latest posts

Back