DS with Kaiser

That’s why I loved Phen-Fen. No food noise.

Well, I had the food noise quiet down (but not go away when I was on Mounjuro). Besides for when I did a liquid fast and surgery, it has always been there.

So, Mounjuro really taught me what life without major food noise is. I've only been off it 2 months, but when I hear it, I can ignore it more, because I recognize it. Now, it's only been 8 weeks, but this feels different.

Well, I had the food noise quiet down (but not go away when I was on Mounjuro). Besides for when I did a liquid fast and surgery, it has always been there.

So, Mounjuro really taught me what life without major food noise is. I've only been off it 2 months, but when I hear it, I can ignore it more, because I recognize it. Now, it's only been 8 weeks, but this feels different.
I had this same experience on Saxenda. In fact I didn't know until I was on it that I even HAD food noise! It was so obvious when it went away. My mind was so quiet. I also felt "full" for the first time, not the "I overate and am bloated" full that I always associated with fullness, but this pleasant "I've had enough and need no more" sort of fullness that is true fullness. Food satisfaction is what I think I'm trying to describe. I didn't know I'd never had that! It is amazing what we live with until something shows us that it doesn't have to be that way... I too find it is easier for me to ignore the "food noise" now that I know what it is.

My ADHD medication also quiets the food noise and urge to snack! Some psychs actually use them to treat binge eating disorder. I can always tell when my partner hasn't taken their ADHD meds for the day. They sit there on the phone, scrolling and munching!!

Welcome Maria! Sorry to hear you're having insurance trouble. Sorry the doctor/surgeon is not referring you for the surgery due to risk of complications as you mentioned. Sadly, all surgeries have their risks for complications. In my consultation today with my surgeon, he mentioned a greater risk of developing an internal hernia with the DS vs the SADI when we discussed my reasons for wanting the DS rather than the SADI. I mentioned that I am okay with taking that risk and having better weight loss with DS than reducing that risk and having less weight loss.
When they called and verified my insurance, they told me that my insurance will only cover one weight loss surgery per lifetime. So, that really secured my choice to go with the DS rather than the SADI. One of my toss up thoughts was to try the SADI, and if that didn't work out, I could revise further from there to the DS. But, I am happy with the consult I had, and now I just need to jump through the hoops that have been laid out.

Good luck! I hope you can get referred for the surgery of your choice, or find a surgeon/doctor who will refer you.

So, that really secured my choice to go with the DS rather than the SADI. One of my toss up thoughts was to try the SADI, and if that didn't work out, I could revise further from there to the DS. But, I am happy with the consult I had, and now I just need to jump through the hoops that have been laid out.

The deciding point for me, was when it came to surgery, I was on "the one and done" point of view, I did not want to ever deal with this again. Recovery from either the sleeve or the DS takes time.

Keep pushing. ;)

The deciding point for me, was when it came to surgery, I was on "the one and done" point of view, I did not want to ever deal with this again. Recovery from either the sleeve or the DS takes time.

Keep pushing. ;)
When I initially went in for my consult for what would become my sleeve; I had decided at that point that I wanted the gastric bypass, such as what my mom had. It was honestly a toss up between the gastric bypass and the sleeve. My ultimate deciding factor there was that I was hoping for the dumping syndrome that gastric bypass frequently provided to deter me away from the crap and junk I always eat. My then surgeon, ultimately told me that sleeve would be the better route for me, because of my age being so young and having to be on vitamins for life, etc. So, I caved, and went with the sleeve. In hindsight, even though I put back on all of my lost weight, I'm glad I did the sleeve. I don't know that I would want to have an RNY size pouch along with a DS. Don't get me wrong though, the surgeon I consulted with for revision to DS said he may be able to make my sleeve smaller. It will be something that we will more than likely discuss when he has results from my Endo and barium swallow. So hopefully that'll give a rough idea. But he intends to have a good look around also when he can actually get in there. Either way it goes, I think I will benefit more from the DS rather than just keeping the sleeve and continuing to fight a losing battle of trying to lose weight as I am doing now.

I agree! I did not realize you had the sleeve already, I got you confused with the orignal poster (sorry). I would get the DS in a heart beat then. But not Sadi's. The data posted here says it's just not as good.

Good luck!

I agree! I did not realize you had the sleeve already, I got you confused with the orignal poster (sorry). I would get the DS in a heart beat then. But not Sadi's. The data posted here says it's just not as good.

Good luck!
That is one of the reasons that kept turning me away from Sadi. I want more weight loss potential, even if it means greater vitamin deficiency and risk potential.
Yes, Ive had the sleeve now for about 11 years? Something like that, now. The past 5-7 years have been constantly putting on more and more weight. Now, lately, im not putting on weight, but im not losing weight either. And as mentioned, Im sitting at the weight I was before getting my sleeve; and I was 273 lbs day of surgery.

the surgeon I consulted with for revision to DS said he may be able to make my sleeve smaller.
DON’T get your sleeve resized. It’s not the sleeve that is the magic part of the DS, it’s the switch part.
For those worried about sleeve restriction.

The sleeve is not designed to be restrictive for your entire life with your DS. It will stretch. It starts small, and after it matures, it is easier to eat.

As a new DSer, your sleeve can not give you correct signals about what is in your stomach. It has to heal first. Once healed, about 6-12 months, it will let you eat a bit more.

But the DS has TWO PARTS NOT ONE. You have the sleeve to start weight loss but it’s the switch part that keeps the loss going NOT the sleeve. Repeat, NOT THE SLEEVE.

If you are a VSG to DS revision, you do not need to be resleeve unless something is physically wrong with your sleeve.

Liquids and soft foods will be easier than dense foods. I only felt restriction with dense food. I’m almost 13 years out. I can eat a good amount of soft food, plenty of liquid, but steak, about 5 oz.

Latest posts

Back