Liquid Vitamin at Costco (liquid calcium too)

Why liquid vites? The surgery doesn't change your ability to swallow. Only the amount your stomach will hold changes. You probably won't be able to just toss back a handful of pills but you should be able to take one or 2 at a time. I started mine about 6 days post, one at a time. Took a while to get them all down but I did. I wasn't taking iron. Did everything but that. Later it turned out I don't even need to supplement iron.

Coz I'm a wimp! I have always had a hard time taking pills, probably because my throat is closed up by all the fat. And while I'm happy to comply and take all the vitamins/supplements I need, I wanted to have a liquid vitamin immediately post op since I'm only going to be able to sip....I'm gonna need more than a sip to swallow any pill! Plus I can add a liquid vitamin to my fluid intake instead of waiting a couple weeks to start adding a pill at a time.

Why liquid vites? The surgery doesn't change your ability to swallow. Only the amount your stomach will hold changes. You probably won't be able to just toss back a handful of pills but you should be able to take one or 2 at a time. I started mine about 6 days post, one at a time. Took a while to get them all down but I did. I wasn't taking iron. Did everything but that. Later it turned out I don't even need to supplement iron.

We/I have been told many times in the past that there would be trouble swallowing for a while. That is why Vitalady has a mostly chewable and tiny little pills starter package too. Right?

Coz I'm a wimp! I have always had a hard time taking pills, probably because my throat is closed up by all the fat. And while I'm happy to comply and take all the vitamins/supplements I need, I wanted to have a liquid vitamin immediately post op since I'm only going to be able to sip....I'm gonna need more than a sip to swallow any pill! Plus I can add a liquid vitamin to my fluid intake instead of waiting a couple weeks to start adding a pill at a time.

I'm the same,, Taterweight. I really hate swallowing pills, despite the fact that I have had to do so everyday for years. The idea of having to add a whole lot more onto what I already take doesn't fill me with joy (yes, I do know its necessary, though). I'm just hoping that I will be able to drop some of my current medications as I lose weight, at least. I have bought the Centrum liquid multi, but looking at the amount of everything in it, it wouldn't be nearly enough. It has much less of pretty much everything than the VM-100, although its supposed to be 100% of recommended daily amounts. I guess I'll just have to use it as a pre-op multi!

Thinking about it, though, perhaps its okay as a general multi in addition to the other supplements we have to take after the DS?

That 100% RDA thing doesn't mean much for DSers. That's why we take higher doses. The liquid multi could get awfully expensive that way, but if it's what you'll swallow, that's what's most important.

Details of the Centrum liquid multi, in case anyone is interested:

41SXWRKCWAL._SL110_.jpg

Supplement Facts
Serving Size: 1 Tablespoon (15 mL)
Servings per Container: 15
Amount Per Serving % Daily Value
Calories 30
Total Carbohydrate 5 g 2%
Sugars 5 g *
Vitamin A 1300 IU 26%
Vitamin C 60 mg 100%
Vitamin D 400 IU 100%
Vitamin E 30 IU 100%
Thiamin 1.1 mg 73%
Riboflavin 1.7 mg 100%
Niacin 20 mg 100%
Vitamin B6 2 mg 100%
Vitamin B12 6 mcg 100%
Biotin 300 mcg 100%
Pantothenic Acid 10 mg 100%
Iron 9 mg 50%
Iodine 150 mcg 100%
Zinc 3 mg 20%
Manganese 2 mg 100%
Chromium 25 mcg 21%
Molybdenum 25 mcg 33%

Contains < 2% of: Ascorbic Acid (Vit. C), BHA (Preservative), BHT (Preservative), Biotin, Chromic Chloride, Citric Acid, Cyanocobalamin (Vit. B12), Dexpanthenol, Disodium EDTA (Preservative), dl-Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate (Vit. E), Ferrous Gluconate, Glycerin, Manganese Chloride, Modified Corn Starch, Natural and Artificial Flavor, Niacinamide, Polysorbate 80, Potassium Iodide, Propylene Glycol, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vit. B6), Riboflavin 5’-Phosphate (Vit. B2), Silicon Dioxide, Sodium Benzoate (Preservative), Sodium Citrate, Sodium Molybdate, Sorbic Acid, Thiamine Hydrochloride (Vit. B1), Zinc Gluconate.

Last edited:
This is the one I am currently taking and I have enough for about 45 days post op. I decided to take this before and after so that I could get used to it. Pretty strong flavor! It says to mix it with fruit juice or water. I have been just swallowing it. I worry that post-op, it will be a lot to try to get down. I also bought my calcium citrate in powder form also my magnesium citrate and oxide. I thought I could mix them into a protein supplement or eggs or whatever I am able to eat. I have been just mixing a little calcium citrate into some lemon water and downing it. I know that space will be at a premium later. We shall see.
Vm-100 Complete Liquid Vitamins &lt;
Because the digestive system becomes less effective as we age, leading to poor absorption of nutrients, highly absorbable liquid VM-100 Complete
033673.jpg

Supplement Facts
Serving Size 2 Tbsp
Servings Per Container 32
Amount Per Serving% Daily Value
Calories 20
Carbohydrates5 g 2%
Sugars4 g *
Vitamin A10000 IU 200%
(beta-carotene)
Vitamin C1000 mg 1,666%
(as ascorbic acid)
Vitamin D400 mg 100%
Vitamin E400 IU 1,333%
(as d-alpha tocopheryl)
Vitamin B150 mg 3,333%
(thiamin)
Vitamin B250 mg 2,941%
(as riboflavin)
Niacin50 mg 250%
(as niacinamide)
Vitamin B650 mg 2,500%
(as pyridoxine HCL)
Folic Acid400 mcg 100%
Vitamin B121000 mcg 16,666%
Biotin300 mcg 100%
Pantothenic Acid150 mg 1,500%
Calcium100 mg 10%
(citrate)
Magnesium50 mg 12%
Zinc15 mg 100%
Selenium0.52 mcg <1%
Copper2 mg 100%
(gluconate)
Manganese3 mg 150%
(citrate)
Chromium100 mcg 83%
(picolinate)
Inositol50 mg †
PABA50 mg †
(para-aminobenzoic acid)
Citrus Bioflavonoids40 mg †
Hesperidin Complex20 mg †
Choline Bitartrate50 mg *
Rutin40 mg *
Boron2 mcg *
70+ Plant Source Minerals Proprietary Blend549 mg *
Antioxidant Proprietary Blend200 mg *
Betatene (Beta Carotene, Alpha Carotene, Cryptoxanthin, Lutein, Zeaxanthin, Lycopene) *
Grape Seed Extract *
Ginkgo Biloba Extract (leaves) *
Rosemary Extract (leaves) *
Alpha Lipoic Acid *

* †Daily value not established.
Directions: Shake well. Refrigerate after opening. Adults should take 2 tablespoons daily as a nutritional supplement.

Other Ingredients: Purified water, white grape juice, orange juice, apple juice, and potassium sorbate.

Edited to insert image

Make sure to watch your B6 levels closely with this. There is a lot of B6 in this multi and as post-ops we tend to get toxic on B6 quickly.

^^^^What Christina said...even taking just three multis of the Kirkland Daily which is ONLY 100% of B6 per pill, I am higher than I want to be, just not too high.

I don't know what it is about the Costco supplements, but they seem to add WAY too much B6 - I couldn't take their calcium citrate, even with only taking 4 pills (two doses) per day. Almost makes me wonder if someone in their formulations department got things screwed up by 10 fold or something.

Reality check time: Compare that label to this one, from the plain old Centrum multi:

SentrySenior265ctSF.gif

Now, bear in mind that the MINIMUM is two tablets daily. I take four.

So, do some math and compare how much liquid you'd have to take to get anything remotely resembling what you'd get in 4 tablets, or even in 2. And look at what's missing, and how many items on that liquid list do not say what their source is.

Hmmm. Y'know, I just spent fifteen minutes growling about that ingredient list and realized something was messed up. So I went to centrum.com and got THIS ingredient list for the adult liquid: http://www.centrum.com/centrum-adults#liquid

Centrum® Liquid
Supplement Facts
Serving Size 1 tbsp (15 mL)

Amount per Serving% Daily Value
Calories 30
Total Carbohydrate 5 g 2%†
Sugars 5 g *
Vitamin A 1,300 IU 26%
Vitamin C 60 mg 100%
Vitamin D 400 IU 100%
Vitamin E 30 IU 100%
Thiamin 1.1 mg 73%
Riboflavin 1.7 mg 100%
Niacin 20 mg 100%
Vitamin B6 2 mg 100%
Vitamin B12 6 mcg 100%
Biotin 300 mcg 100%
Pantothenic Acid 10 mg 100%
Iron 9 mg 50%
Iodine 150 mcg 100%
Zinc 3 mg 20%
Manganese 2 mg 100%
Chromium 25 mcg 21%
Molybdenum 25 mcg 33%
† Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
* Daily Value not established
Ingredients: Purified Water, Sucrose, Ethyl Alcohol. Contains < 2% of: Ascorbic Acid (Vit. C), BHA (to preserve freshness), Biotin, Cholecalciferol (Vit. D3), Chromic Chloride, Citric Acid, Cyanocobalamin (Vit. B12), Dexpanthenol, Disodium EDTA (to preserve freshness), dl-Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate (Vit. E), Ferrous Gluconate, Glycerin, Manganese Chloride, Natural Flavors, Niacinamide, Polysorbate 80, Potassium Iodide, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vit. B6), Riboflavin-5’-Phosphate (Vit. B2), Sodium Benzoate (to preserve freshness), Sodium Molybdate, Thiamine Hydrochloride (Vit. B1), Tocopherols (to preserve freshness), Vitamin A Palmitate, Zinc Gluconate.

Okay, back to my planned comparison :).

In order to get the same amount of vitamin A as in two tablets, adjusting for 30% of the tablet A being useless (so calling 2 tablets 4,500 IU), you'd have to take over 3 tablespoons per day...... Um, or 15 grams of empty carbs.

One thing the liquid has that the Centrum brand multi does not is a tiny bit of zinc. However, my Kirkland multi (which compares to Centrum) has 11 mg per tablet. So for the 22 mg of zinc, you'd have to take 7 tablespoons of the liquid, or 35 grams of carbs. (You'd also totally OD on B6, so don't think I'm recommending this.)

(With my 4 Kirkland-Centrums, I get the almost-50 mg of zinc I need to keep from bottoming out when I'm in good health btw., saving me the need for an extra zinc supplement except when I'm unwell for some reason. I generally take the extra 50 mg daily all winter just because.)

Thiamine is comparable, so you'd need two doses for that. Ditto niacin, and B6 is higher in the tablet (and I run high end of normal on B6). B12, though.... 6 mcg in the liquid, so to get to the 50 mcg in 2 multi tablets.....Well, you get the idea.

The liquid and the tablet are not at ALL comparable. Yes, you can add individual vites....But, um, then you'll just be taking MORE products, right? And where are you going to find all the non tablet options for those? It just gets crazy IMO.

I recommend planning on going to tablets as soon as you are able. Otherwise you're going to have to add MORE tablets or capsules just to get to what you could get from here....Not to mention all the things we have to MEGA dose as well.

If you are not able or willing to swallow pills, then chances are you should not be having WLS, folks. If you can swallow a bite of food, you can swallow a pill or even several in one swallow. It's in your head. It can be fixed with therapy, if you are so inclined.

If this is too much for you to do, then just hang back and wait until, like I was, you depend on a couple dozen pills and several shots a day just to stay alive. The task of taking some vitamins will look a lot different.

Chances are you won't have to have one of those fancy 30 day, 4-a-day planners. I take two sets in the morning (upon arising and before I leave the house), one in the evening and throw back some more calcium in the course of the day. It's not hard once you get into it.

Long term is definitely not my plan for liquid vites - I'm sure it tastes bloody awful, it does cost more than dry pill form, and you get higher amts in the pills than the liquid. I'm cool with taking the pills, so I understand your words of caution to others that will read after, but that was not my intent on posting this thread.

I bought one bottle of the liquid vitamins to get something healthy in with the tiny amount of liquids I am going to be able to have the first week or two post op. From what I've read, most people don't start taking the first attempt at their pill regimen until 3-4 weeks out, I just wanted to be as efficient and proactive as possible. :)

Long term is definitely not my plan for liquid vites - I'm sure it tastes bloody awful, it does cost more than dry pill form, and you get higher amts in the pills than the liquid. I'm cool with taking the pills, so I understand your words of caution to others that will read after, but that was not my intent on posting this thread.

I bought one bottle of the liquid vitamins to get something healthy in with the tiny amount of liquids I am going to be able to have the first week or two post op. From what I've read, most people don't start taking the first attempt at their pill regimen until 3-4 weeks out, I just wanted to be as efficient and proactive as possible. :)
Hey, if you don't throw a liquid vite back up in those first few weeks, more power to you!! LOL

As I recall, I was managing a Twinlabs Daily One capsule before we went home to NJ. So that was less than two weeks out.

@Elizabeth N. thank you for your post. I should have done the comparisons myself, but I was already in a lot of pain from being on the computer too long, so I just went with the assumption (for now) that the liquid would have the same quantities of everything as the tablets.

I was hoping to minimise the number of tablets I have to take (or at least have one thing that is more pleasant to take (I don't mind the taste at all), but I always expected to still have to take a bunch of other tablets as well.

I hadn't looked at the cost of taking the quantity of the liquid I would need yet, but that is a very important factor for me. I have 3 bottles of the Centrum liquid, so I will use that from now until it is finished, and then go onto something better.

PS I did add the ingredients list not long after posting the Supplement Facts list from the Centrum website.

Pre-op the liquid vitamins killed my stomach, heartburn and GERD to the max! So, I am just going to give it a couple more days then start with my multivitamin tablet. I am having no trouble swallowing pills so far. Honestly, so far, everything seems to be "normal" for this major of a surgery. I am super tired, sore, a little befuddled and a little weak. My throat still hurts like crazy when I try to swallow or if it gets dry (when I sleep). My belly area is sore and very swollen. I was able to get some sleep last night, waking a lot because of pain, I could not get comfortable in a semi-reclined position, I had to lay normally . I would take a little Tylenol if it have been enough time and lay back down.

Latest posts

Back