Life ... or so they say

DianaCox

Bad Cop
Busy week. House is finally under contract - but for FAR FAR less than we were expecting to be able to get - the market went soft just as we put it for sale in June. 30 day close - assuming nothing goes wrong, we should be debt free and homeless on around October 15th. We are not going to be able to buy the type of RV we wanted to buy to live in for a year - the extra $$ isn't there. Still trying to decide what to do next.

Last week we had to deal with cat health grooming and health issues (somehow, Milo - one of our indoor cats - got tapeworm, which meant all had to be treated, and we could not manage to get a pill down Milo and needed the vet to do it), and Onyx's stomatitis was noted to be getting worse - he will probably have to have most of his teeth pulled. I was hoping to wait a bit - it will be expensive, but it is said to be painful, and he's starting to show signs of being uncomfortable, so that may have to happen sooner rather than later.

Yesterday was Doctor Day. We both had our physicals, flu shots, and mole patrol. I weighed 173.6, which means I got under a BMI of 30, and both of us should qualify for some sort of monetary rebate from our insurance company. Both of us are basically OK, but there are things to follow up on, including confirmation that Charles has re-torn his already twice-repaired hernia and figuring out how/when to fix it. We may be looking for a new surgeon - the one who did the first two surgeries may not be up to the task. I successfully got him to ask his doctor for some general check-up issues as he slides into being 65 - EKG, chest X-ray in particular (I don't know why the doctor balked at the stress test - maybe he doesn't need one if the EKG is good?)

We then went to our credit union, which screwed up sending us new "chip" cards (and which it turns out means Charles has to change all of our autopay accounts, because that card is lost, so they had to cancel it and reissue a new card number - grrr). I figured while we were there, I would make them add their new banking app to our phones, saving us the trouble of trying to figure it out. I'm pleased with myself about that.

Speaking of phones, the day before, after an unspeakably difficult run-around with T-Mobile for WEEKS, I finally got my new 6S, and made T-Mobile do what turned out to be the extraordinarily difficult job of transferring everything from the old to the new phone (it was an iTunes software glitch - but they tried to talk me into ONLY transferring my photos and mail - not even my apps and passwords - HELL NO! FIX IT!! And they finally did.). It took 2.5 hours - after we drove to the other RV park 30 miles away because after 3+ weeks of dicking around, T-Mobile shipped the phone to the wrong address and could NOT correct the delivery location. Needless to say, this is my very NEGATIVE review of T-Mobile. (Although I will say that every time I demanded compensation for the hassle, I got a little something as a rebate - including a free case at the store.)

Had dinner last night with my 85 year old father and his ladyfriend after the credit union session - because of how far away from where they live, I hadn't seen him in months. He is looking so frail - argh. It is their intention to try to stay in her lovely condo in Menlo Park for as long as possible, but when she needs to move to an assisted living situation, or when dad becomes more of a liability than a help (she can't drive due to vision loss, and he does a lot of their grocery shopping and cooking, but his memory is becoming an issue), he will be moving in with us - she won't pay to care for him.

Made my reservations for a trip to VA from 10/22 - 10/29 to show my face in my office, attend a CLE conference, and to see mom for what may be the last time. She is fading fast. My sister Rachael (@OldBroad) is handling the arrangements to see if it's time to move mom to a nursing home. This is so difficult, as so many of you already know. I'm "consulting" with Rachael, but the brunt of it is on her.

I want the rest of my life to get started, the way I want it. Cue the Rolling Stones.

Hang in there Diana! The future is nigh and holds many wonders, even if the here and now isn't ideal. All the best!

Hang in there...bumps in the road!

As far as changing auto pay, you probably would have anyway due to new expiration dates on the cards now if the number had not changed.

Damn Hon. Sorry to hear about your Mom and Charles.

We already talked about the house but I still hate that the market shifted on you. We had to carry two mortgages in 2002 when we moved to AZ.. The neighbors sold their house in less than 30 days and had listed it one month ealier. It took over a year to sell our house and barely walked away with what we put down on it. Story of my life, timing always sucks.

I hope things work out well and the house being under contract is a relief.

Yeah, and getting out from under our ridiculous amount of debt will be a huge relief - if we were ONLY paying off a mortgage, there would be more actual spendable profit. We did it to ourselves.

Yeah we have done that to

We need to sell our house but I don't have the $10k to do the necessary updates to move it....market is really soft here now too and I dint see it moving in less than six months and that is if everything was fixed the way I want. I also don't have the strength or energy to do it now. We are screwed.

This too shall pass Scott ... just struggling with the adjustment, as are you. Every low point in my life has passed and eventually overpowered by happier times. I'm sure both of us will feel that way soon again.

But I'll still bitch about it for a while.

No doubt Diana we will both be fine in the end. I am just tired of every 5-7 years, getting my teeth kicked in and basically starting over again. It is sad that as a 50 year old man I am jealous of so many other people for them just having a steady job and the comfort that they will retire reasonably comfortably and I will not.

It is what it is and I own it but damn I am turning very bitter and having a hard time letting go..

Sorry to hijack your thread. ...enjoy the pork and squash leftovers! :D

I made a slow cooker pork butt today that is going to provide several days of good eats and I will be having some more in the next hour or two......I have to eat during the middle of the night anymore. Started about 3 weeks ago.

I am sure you and Charles can make the best of this shitty situation. You are both so capable and resourceful.

I am sorry that Onyx is getting worse with tougher times to come.

That sweet baby in my avatar is turning two tomorrow. I can't believe how quickly time has flown. Plus, she will have a baby sister around the first week of November. My point, life is a roller coaster!

I am going to put a pork butt in the smoker on Sunday. I hope it turns out. Soon, the snow will be flying here and smoking meat will be off the menu. Wish you and Charles could stop by for chow.

Hugs!

Sigh - me too. We might have to go buy a small house in Phoenix, get our stuff out of storage in CA and moved down there, keep our costs down, and save up for a new-to-us (as was always planned) but older RV with fewer amenities that seemed like must-haves for living in it. I can't say that I won't be deeply disappointed if that's what we have to do.

I don't know how to smoke foods, nor how to cook a pork butt - but those sound good!

Scott is alluding to my FB post/boast about my dinner tonight:
"Tonight's grilling adventure: peppercorn marinated pork tenderloin; Blushing Belle potatoes cut into bite sized pieces, mixed with chopped onion, garlic olive oil, salt and squeeze-tube dill, and wrapped in an aluminum foil pouch; and yellow squash and orange bell pepper cubed and drizzled with garlic olive oil and balsamic glaze and wrapped in an aluminum foil pouch. Served with pear-applesauce and a Citradelic tangerine Belgian ale.

I also grilled 4 teriyaki and pineapple soy marinated chicken thighs for protein snacks for the next few days."​
14330036_10153953468126173_9011532728599565730_n.jpg

I have pork tenderloin leftovers, along with my chicken thighs. Gotta get my protein levels up a bit ...

I hope it closes with no trouble so at least you are done.

I bought one house - bought high, sold low. so I feel ya. :eek:

Busy week. House is finally under contract - but for FAR FAR less than we were expecting to be able to get - the market went soft just as we put it for sale in June. 30 day close - assuming nothing goes wrong, we should be debt free and homeless on around October 15th. We are not going to be able to buy the type of RV we wanted to buy to live in for a year - the extra $$ isn't there. Still trying to decide what to do next.

Last week we had to deal with cat health grooming and health issues (somehow, Milo - one of our indoor cats - got tapeworm, which meant all had to be treated, and we could not manage to get a pill down Milo and needed the vet to do it), and Onyx's stomatitis was noted to be getting worse - he will probably have to have most of his teeth pulled. I was hoping to wait a bit - it will be expensive, but it is said to be painful, and he's starting to show signs of being uncomfortable, so that may have to happen sooner rather than later.

Yesterday was Doctor Day. We both had our physicals, flu shots, and mole patrol. I weighed 173.6, which means I got under a BMI of 30, and both of us should qualify for some sort of monetary rebate from our insurance company. Both of us are basically OK, but there are things to follow up on, including confirmation that Charles has re-torn his already twice-repaired hernia and figuring out how/when to fix it. We may be looking for a new surgeon - the one who did the first two surgeries may not be up to the task. I successfully got him to ask his doctor for some general check-up issues as he slides into being 65 - EKG, chest X-ray in particular (I don't know why the doctor balked at the stress test - maybe he doesn't need one if the EKG is good?)

We then went to our credit union, which screwed up sending us new "chip" cards (and which it turns out means Charles has to change all of our autopay accounts, because that card is lost, so they had to cancel it and reissue a new card number - grrr). I figured while we were there, I would make them add their new banking app to our phones, saving us the trouble of trying to figure it out. I'm pleased with myself about that.

Speaking of phones, the day before, after an unspeakably difficult run-around with T-Mobile for WEEKS, I finally got my new 6S, and made T-Mobile do what turned out to be the extraordinarily difficult job of transferring everything from the old to the new phone (it was an iTunes software glitch - but they tried to talk me into ONLY transferring my photos and mail - not even my apps and passwords - HELL NO! FIX IT!! And they finally did.). It took 2.5 hours - after we drove to the other RV park 30 miles away because after 3+ weeks of dicking around, T-Mobile shipped the phone to the wrong address and could NOT correct the delivery location. Needless to say, this is my very NEGATIVE review of T-Mobile. (Although I will say that every time I demanded compensation for the hassle, I got a little something as a rebate - including a free case at the store.)

Had dinner last night with my 85 year old father and his ladyfriend after the credit union session - because of how far away from where they live, I hadn't seen him in months. He is looking so frail - argh. It is their intention to try to stay in her lovely condo in Menlo Park for as long as possible, but when she needs to move to an assisted living situation, or when dad becomes more of a liability than a help (she can't drive due to vision loss, and he does a lot of their grocery shopping and cooking, but his memory is becoming an issue), he will be moving in with us - she won't pay to care for him.

Made my reservations for a trip to VA from 10/22 - 10/29 to show my face in my office, attend a CLE conference, and to see mom for what may be the last time. She is fading fast. My sister Rachael (@OldBroad) is handling the arrangements to see if it's time to move mom to a nursing home. This is so difficult, as so many of you already know. I'm "consulting" with Rachael, but the brunt of it is on her.

I want the rest of my life to get started, the way I want it. Cue the Rolling Stones.

House: But...at least you are in escrow and the scattered existence you are currently dealing with will resolve. If you don't rush, you can find a deal on the perfect RV. Somebody bought exactly what you want and then decided it was a huge mistake. Their behemoth is for sale and they are tired of paying to store it. Take your time...you will find it.

Cats: Stomatitis is a painful, expensive killer. MiniSue kept pouring money into "fixes," and her hateful mother had to explain that cats do not know how to hope for a better day tomorrow. It was painful all the way around.

Medical: Now that Charles is about to be Officially Aged, Medicare will help with insurance costs? My coverage is through Mr Sue's employer and our premiums dropped several hundred a month when I was moved from our PPO to the PPO Medicare Supplement...and the Medicare was only about a hundred bucks a month.

Banks: Your situation is more technologically advanced than mine. I think. We just use the Bill Pay option and I don't THINK it's connected to any cards...but now I have to check, dammit.

Phones: We downsized on phones before we downsized on houses...lol. We have three phones plus a data plan for a tablet on one account. (MiniSue is on our account because it's cheaper for us.) We get unlimited texts, 1000 minutes of voice, and 4GB of data and pay $90-120/mo total, depending on who goes over what limits when. This works for us because we use cable wi-fi at home and IF I get out of the house, I use my $20/mo Verizon plan on my iPad. The big downside is that it's Consumer Cellular and their commercials imply that their customers are part of the Senility demographic. (Assholes.)

Parents: Yup, when we start to slide, we do pick up speed. I spoke to a cousin of my mother's the other day. We hadn't visited in months and I could hear the cognitive losses. She was filling me in on What's New, but including data from a decade ago. She's heading toward her 96th birthday, so she is allowed to do that. But it was a big change. Meanwhile, though, I spoke to another "older" lady, but she is only about to turn 92. She sounds sharp as a tack.

Just a warning...when I got all the shit you are dealing with checked off my list...that's when I fell completely apart. So don't rush things. When that "buffer generation" is gone...TAG! You're it!!

Cat: we have to move out of the park next Friday for 3 d ays (we'll go back to Betabel, 30 miles away), then will come back here for 3 weeks. There is a vet 1/2 mile away who comes recommended by another couple who used to stay here. I think we'll get his back teeth pulled and I hope be done with it - he's lost one fang, but the other three seem OK for now. Poor Onyx.

Speaking of moving - this is a real pain. We will have to move again on Monday October 24th for three days - but I will be in VA for a business trip/see my mom from the 22nd - 29th. Charles insists he can handle it himself, and the manager of this park said he can leave my car here, but I am not happy that there isn't some other way of managing this. I suggested that we stay at Betabel, but the internet is so much better here, because we can tap into our Comcast account (he brought our router from the house to this park, which is on Comcast, and bingo! We could sign in to our own high speed internet!). Even without it, there is an Xfinity hotspot nearby, and the internet at the park is better than at Betabel. But at Betabel, we can stay as long as we need to .... hmmm ...

Speaking of which - that Comcast account is going to be canceled on October 17th or whenever escrow closes. So ... hmmm ... must talk to Charles about this ...

When I get back from VA, before we can do anything, Charles will likely need to have yet another hernia surgery. He's had the blood test he needed (creatinine) before getting the CT scan to see what's what, and then we will have to schedule it.

Insurance: My plan year started September 1st. So we're already working on our $4K deductible for the year (already over $1500 between doctor's visits and tests). Charles turns 65 in November, and it doesn't make sense to take him off our plan after meeting the deductible. We will wait to see if we can get him on a BCBS Medicare plan that allows for travel (Advantage plans in our current zip code don't) until next year, I think. But yes, it would be cheaper - but I don't like the idea of us not being on the same plan.

Once we figure out what we're going to do for an RV, i.e., what we are going to settle for, we hope to get one expensive but comprehensive satellite plan, including DirectTV or something. I'm tired of having to rely on sucky campground cable (except this place isn't bad). But I need LOTS of gigs of data to do work and support my 50+-windows-open-at-a-time careless data consuming computer habits. Whatever we get, it will be cheaper than what it is costing us now (between Comcast and T-mobile and ATT for my hotspot).

I found a beautiful RV I'd love to have. It is underpriced (by at least $40K), but still too expensive for us, I think - maybe after we have the money, if it hasn't sold, I'll send them a really lowball offer and see if they bite:
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/rvs/5781337927.html
Their listing on RVT is hard to find, because they have left off an important keyword and have sort of misnamed the model. Also, they did a custom interior which is really really dark - but which both Charles and I actually like. It is stored in the middle of nowhere, CA, and they also have it set up where you have to contact the guy who runs the storage area to look at it. We can work with that (it is about 180 miles from where we are now), but I'll bet not many other people can deal with it. OTOH, it's not that far from Sacramento, and they might just end up selling it to one of the two big RV dealers in Sacto. Oh well. Used RV prices are cheaper in the fall and winter.

Charles is sick again (cold) but fighting it off valiantly. I'm trying to not succumb as well.

Cat: we have to move out of the park next Friday for 3 d ays (we'll go back to Betabel, 30 miles away), then will come back here for 3 weeks. There is a vet 1/2 mile away who comes recommended by another couple who used to stay here. I think we'll get his back teeth pulled and I hope be done with it - he's lost one fang, but the other three seem OK for now. Poor Onyx.

Speaking of moving - this is a real pain. We will have to move again on Monday October 24th for three days - but I will be in VA for a business trip/see my mom from the 22nd - 29th. Charles insists he can handle it himself, and the manager of this park said he can leave my car here, but I am not happy that there isn't some other way of managing this. I suggested that we stay at Betabel, but the internet is so much better here, because we can tap into our Comcast account (he brought our router from the house to this park, which is on Comcast, and bingo! We could sign in to our own high speed internet!). Even without it, there is an Xfinity hotspot nearby, and the internet at the park is better than at Betabel. But at Betabel, we can stay as long as we need to .... hmmm ...

Speaking of which - that Comcast account is going to be canceled on October 17th or whenever escrow closes. So ... hmmm ... must talk to Charles about this ...

When I get back from VA, before we can do anything, Charles will likely need to have yet another hernia surgery. He's had the blood test he needed (creatinine) before getting the CT scan to see what's what, and then we will have to schedule it.

Insurance: My plan year started September 1st. So we're already working on our $4K deductible for the year (already over $1500 between doctor's visits and tests). Charles turns 65 in November, and it doesn't make sense to take him off our plan after meeting the deductible. We will wait to see if we can get him on a BCBS Medicare plan that allows for travel (Advantage plans in our current zip code don't) until next year, I think. But yes, it would be cheaper - but I don't like the idea of us not being on the same plan.

Once we figure out what we're going to do for an RV, i.e., what we are going to settle for, we hope to get one expensive but comprehensive satellite plan, including DirectTV or something. I'm tired of having to rely on sucky campground cable (except this place isn't bad). But I need LOTS of gigs of data to do work and support my 50+-windows-open-at-a-time careless data consuming computer habits. Whatever we get, it will be cheaper than what it is costing us now (between Comcast and T-mobile and ATT for my hotspot).

I found a beautiful RV I'd love to have. It is underpriced (by at least $40K), but still too expensive for us, I think - maybe after we have the money, if it hasn't sold, I'll send them a really lowball offer and see if they bite:
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/rvs/5781337927.html
Their listing on RVT is hard to find, because they have left off an important keyword and have sort of misnamed the model. Also, they did a custom interior which is really really dark - but which both Charles and I actually like. It is stored in the middle of nowhere, CA, and they also have it set up where you have to contact the guy who runs the storage area to look at it. We can work with that (it is about 180 miles from where we are now), but I'll bet not many other people can deal with it. OTOH, it's not that far from Sacramento, and they might just end up selling it to one of the two big RV dealers in Sacto. Oh well. Used RV prices are cheaper in the fall and winter.

Charles is sick again (cold) but fighting it off valiantly. I'm trying to not succumb as well.
When you go check it out, ask to see it with the slides in as well. Won't do any good if you can't get to the 1/2 bath while traveling.

Latest posts

Back