lenghting my common channel

Sounds good @Charris When very malnourished my Zinc was definitely low and it has been a battle to keep in range but is doing well now. K I didn't really measure until recently and it has been low.
With me (early on) I was pooping out too much zinc. So we supplemented.

@DSRIGGS I'm just joking because I trust Dr K and trust his judgement. Just out of curiosity is you friend male or female? Reason I ask is because it seems like none of us women ever get to thin. Plus you males even with the sleeve only seem like in six months you guys are already done where us women at 24 months are still trying to get to goal.
I hope you're feeling better. What length is your cc?

With me (early on) I was pooping out too much zinc. So we supplemented.
My zinc is up near at 80 now and was 47 when I was severely malnourished before started creon. It was hard as hell to get that level up. I take 300 mg a day of zinc......

so I am sure I was shitting it all out back then

@aaa my CC is 50. I'm 250/50. I heard that a lot of Dr. K's patients have the same numbers. Which really doesn't mean much since he uses the Hess method.

@revisionDS do you think your height affects the lenght of your intestines? Because I was told shorties usually have long torsos. When I got fitted for my bullet proof vest I was told I had a long torso too.

Last edited:
@revisionDS do you think your height affects the lenght of your intestines? Because I was told shorties usually have long torsos. When I got fitted for my bullet proof vest I was told I had a long torso to.

Actually no, this is individual, a short person can have a long torso and a normal height person (me) can have a short torso ( I was also measured-military) Torso lenght does not imply intestinal length. Controversy on intestinal length due to most studies done on cadavers, research I have read, I believe intestinal length is primarily affected by height and gender, short women in general have the shortest total length.

Yes I was 2 years last week. @Munchkin keeping the food in me to be absorbed is my problem. Every time I put something in my stomach immediately it was coming out either the mouth or my azz. I'm hoping it was the stomach infection and has now resolved. My vitamin K was bottomed out the lab told dr. K that the only way that ever get that low was having sever diarrhea for a long time. I think it was K.

this is incorrect, Vit K can be ND-not detected for many other reasons.

Then maybe it was zinc. I'm gonna ask dr. K tomorrow when I see him
f/u with him, but yes Zn becomes depleted with diarrhea.
You poor thing you have had soooo many issues, if Dr K said he wants to lengthen your cchannel after this time, he doesnt say that unless you really need to, as you know. we are all different, but you have been traveling upstream for a while, perhaps, if it is lengthened you will be ok. Just try to get better and cross that bridge when you have to.

Actually no, this is individual, a short person can have a long torso and a normal height person (me) can have a short torso ( I was also measured-military) Torso lenght does not imply intestinal length. Controversy on intestinal length due to most studies done on cadavers, research I have read, I believe intestinal length is primarily affected by height and gender, short women in general have the shortest total length.
In a post several months back posted the chart (fit) from a study on this showing the cotrelation between height and total SBL. Taller people in general have longer SBL but their is a variance within similar groups of height . I am 6'2 and my SBL is 650 cm.

Last edited:
@aaa my CC is 50. I'm 250/50. I heard that a lot of Dr. K's patients have the same numbers. Which really doesn't mean much since he uses the Hess method.
@Charris are you sure that Dr K gave you a 50cm CC? 250/50 tells me your SBL is 600 cm and 10% would be 60 cm. CT K told me for CC he rounds up to the 25 cm mark which would be 75 cm, not to mention I didn't think he was doing anything less than 100 cm CC length?

I am going to check my OP report but pretty sure my SBL is 650 (EDIT: I just checked and I am 725 CM total SB). My original DS surgeon said I was 150/100. Dr k actually measured 200/125 (as he said with the elasticity and "squirm" factor trying to measure with instruments during lap surgeruery there can be fair amount of measurement variation) and took my AL to 275 and CC up to 200cm but an effective absorption of 150 due to atrophy from that side of the side by side anastomosis with the BPL (complicated but he has researched atrophy of the BPL and hypotrophy of the CC and AL so I trust him - he used my iv lines to visually show me what he did because it is so confusing).

Anyway I am shocked if your CC really is 50 cm. If it really is an my estimate of your SBL is correct, I hate to say it but that probably is in need of lengthening.

Last edited:
Yes that's what report says. You know I was a Distal RNY revision. So maybe that im a revision and I had a distal rny figured into the equation. To be honest I don't know anyone who got a 100CC or longer from Dr. K. I know someone who has a 75 CC. I had open DS

Yes that's what report says. You know I was a Distal RNY revision. So maybe that im a revision and I had a distal rny figured into the equation. To be honest I don't know anyone who got a 100CC or longer from Dr. K. I know someone who has a 75 CC. I had open DS
Yeah I forgot about the revision and I am sure that played into the equation. Regarding what Dr K does foe CC's I didn't think he was doing anything under 100 now for virgin DS....could be wrong.

In any case, I think it is Gary Antone who Dr K told me postulates that the important factor for the DS is that the AL + CC = BPL length.....so he says the relative length of AL to CC is not as important as that combo being 50% of the SBL which I believe you are.

Dr K also said that had I been an original DS patient of his he would have made my channels 275/100 but now do to atrophy of the BPL and Hypertrophy of the CC/AL that calculation changes, so I do agree with your revision that the channel lengths would have been different than a virgin DS. I took another look at my op report and my SBL was 725 CM not 650 CM. My current configuration is effective BPL 275 and CC 200 CM....again only a portion of my CC is absorbing the way it is configured so Dr K estimates that absorption at 125CM (25cm of absorptive cc pick up over my old state).

I don't know the math of the DS. But I don't know what he's doing now for Virgin DS. But I'd be surprised if the lowest cc would be 100 for everyone. That makes it seem more of a cookie cutter surgery.

Latest posts

Back