Lap/Open

weaura

I'm hoping for a DS by Dr K, and would love it to be done laparoscopically, but considering the fact I've had 5 open abdominal surgeries, how likely is that?

Are you a revision wls? Automatically open if your a revision Wls. I think with all those surgeries it will depend on what happens when trying to get in. I had had 6 abdominal surgeries but was a wls revision so was open but it took 3.5hr to clean adhesions before he could even start the revision

Totally depends. I had lap listed on my consent form with the caveat that my surgeon could convert to open if needed. Pretty standard verbiage actually. While lap makes healing easier ON THE OUTSIDE, it doesn't change a thing on the inside.

Are you a revision wls? Automatically open if your a revision Wls. I think with all those surgeries it will depend on what happens when trying to get in. I had had 6 abdominal surgeries but was a wls revision so was open but it took 3.5hr to clean adhesions before he could even start the revision

I don't really know how you would categorize me. I had a DS, but it was reversed, and now I want it back. I'm not certain that I had the sleeve portion done when the original DS was done due to a previous stomach stapling. When the malabsorption portion was reversed, the stomach stapling was reversed also. I don't have the surgery reports so I'm not sure what I now have or don't have..

I don't really know how you would categorize me. I had a DS, but it was reversed, and now I want it back. I'm not certain that I had the sleeve portion done when the original DS was done due to a previous stomach stapling. When the malabsorption portion was reversed, the stomach stapling was reversed also. I don't have the surgery reports so I'm not sure what I now have or don't have..
Knowing that, it will be entirely up to the surgeon.

IF it were me, I would request open to be sure my surgeon had a better field of vision than trying to peer thru an itty bitty hole.

@weaura I think you have a this chance he will say it must be open he can see what's going on inside. I like Southernlady would want open. Especially you dont know what's going on in there neither will he.

I am 99.999% sure it will be open, so would suggest that you accept that as you continue to move forward.

Thanks everyone. I would prefer lap, but didn't think of the chances being very high. Hadn't thought about the visibility of it - makes me feel a wee bit dense. LOL. :p

Mine was hand assisted lap because it was easier to measure the small bowel that way and my revision was a minor revision in Dr K's world so I agree with Larra that you should prepare mentally for open

Sorry if this sounds stupid, but how does a hand assisted lap work? In my minds eye I'm seeing one hand inside your body along with the lap stuff. I'm betting that is not it.

I have an incision around 3 inches but honestly I am not sure exactly what it means

Ever since I saw the "graphic" picture of your hernia I've been trying to figure out how the picture was taken. It would've been a shot of it internally right? I'm pretty sure Dr K wouldn't have pulled it all out for a photo shoot :laugh:.
j/k:)

Ever since I saw the "graphic" picture of your hernia I've been trying to figure out how the picture was taken. It would've been a shot of it internally right? I'm pretty sure Dr K wouldn't have pulled it all out for a photo shoot :laugh:.
j/k:)
I *think* he had to pull them out to measure them? I assumed that was on the outside, but not sure

Latest posts

Back